Poll

How fast did you transition to ZC/Carnivore and did you have any severe side effects?

more than a month - no
3 (17.6%)
more than a month - yes
5 (29.4%)
between a week and a month - no
3 (17.6%)
between a week and a month  - yes
0 (0%)
less than a week - no
4 (23.5%)
less than a week - yes
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: How did you transition to ZC/Carnivore?  (Read 15610 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: How did you transition to ZC/Carnivore?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 10:34:53 am »
I haven't had any increased negative symptoms like fatigue from raw basically ZC carnivore other than increased bubbles in my urine, but Lex and others have explained that it takes time for the body to develop enough mitochondria to function well on raw ZC, so this may explain the fatigue that some people temporarily experience. Plus, some people report deterioration on ZC if they had pre-existing adrenal problems, though adrenal fatigue/insufficiency is also linked to gluten intolerance, sugars and refined carbs. My own mild adrenal fatigue-type symptoms actually improved on raw ZC.

Ingesting any significant carbs will bring your ketostix results down to negative, so that explains that. I'm not sure what you're unclear on about that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:41:54 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »
Plus, some people report deterioration on ZC if they had pre-existing adrenal problems, though adrenal fatigue/insufficiency is also linked to gluten intolerance, sugars and refined carbs. My own mild adrenal fatigue-type symptoms actually improved on raw ZC.

http://tinyurl.com/y98v58s

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 11:00:42 pm »
What is significant carbs?

And i thought a negative reading on my ketostix meant that my body was burning up all the excess ketones, thus being 'keto adapted'?
That's not paleo.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 02:56:27 am »
What is significant carbs?
That's a good question. I'm not sure what the minimal level of ingested carbs is required to get a negative reading [I deleted useless info here that turned out to be incorrect, sorry].

And i thought a negative reading on my ketostix meant that my body was burning up all the excess ketones, thus being 'keto adapted'?
It can mean that but it can also mean you consumed some carbs. Ketones mean mostly fats were consumed but not all were used up. If one is fully keto-adapted, one supposedly uses up all the fat ingested, so that there are no ketone waste products excreted in the urine, though that hasn't happened for me (I still get low-level ketone readings at times, though the levels are lower than what they were early on in my raw carnivore experiment). Lex Rooker is more knowledgeable about this than I, so he could probably fill in more details.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:21:34 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »
Just my 2 cents. 

I find that the only time I'm in ketosis is if my glycogen is low.  Either from working out or not getting enough protein in the diet.  To me ketosis is just your body's way of conserving protein.  If you eat more than 2lbs. of meat a day, I don't think the gluconeogenesis will put you in ketosis... unless you're only eating extremely fatty parts with low protein. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk