Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824541 times)

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #1750 on: November 02, 2012, 07:30:17 am »
very little, I put it in some of my herbal teas
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:04 am »
ok - so the magnesium draw of dairy shouldn't be the cause then.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 05, 2012, 12:21:20 pm »
I received my 500ml bottle of 5% Lugol's solution yesterday (Saturday) so I'm set for the year.  Cost including shipping was about $60 USD which is a bargin.   At the rate of 100mg/day, I'm going through the 30ml bottles at a fair clip of a bit over 1 per month.  The large bottle doesn't have an eye dropper so I'll just refill the small bottles as required.

Still no noticeable detox reactions from taking such large daily doses of iodine.  Makes me wonder why.  Most people seem to experience some sort of reaction - especially when they move to 100mg/day, but so far nothing of note in my case.  Maybe it is because I haven't eaten any bromated flour products for many years now and I've avoided fluoride in my water and toothpaste etc.  Flourides and bromides are the suspected culprits for most reported detox reactions.  Are these truly the cause?  I have no idea and no way to test the theory.  Just glad I'm not having any problems.

It has been a bit over a month since I started this adventure.  I have noticed some positive changes to skin tone and texture as well as some lightening of brown age spots.  It is interesting that not all age spots are affected.  Some are definitely getting lighter in color while others have remained unchanged.  Could it be that there are several different types or causes for age spots where some are positively affected by iodine intake (or caused by a lack of iodine?) while others have a different root cause?  Unfortunately no way to tell.

No miracle over night prostate cure yet.  Still getting up 3-4 times per night, but I can say that starting urination SEEMS easier and there also SEEMS to be less feelings of urgency throughout the day.  Flow seems to have increased slightly as well as the amount voided each time, but the improvement has been slight up to this point.  Some of this stuff goes in cycles where I have good periods and bad periods so I could just be in a good part of a cycle.  Only time will tell.

Lex

Offline Bio-shell Avatar

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:59 pm »
Still no noticeable detox reactions from taking such large daily doses of iodine.  Makes me wonder why.  Most people seem to experience some sort of reaction - especially when they move to 100mg/day, but so far nothing of note in my case.  Maybe it is because I haven't eaten any bromated flour products for many years now and I've avoided fluoride in my water and toothpaste etc.  Flourides and bromides are the suspected culprits for most reported detox reactions.  Are these truly the cause?  I have no idea and no way to test the theory.  Just glad I'm not having any problems.

halides displace each other so the most likely causes for detox reactions are bromide and fluoride. halides are also very reactive so additional detox reactions could be if the iodine forms salts with any toxic elements and moves them into the blood.

It has been a bit over a month since I started this adventure.  I have noticed some positive changes to skin tone and texture as well as some lightening of brown age spots.  It is interesting that not all age spots are affected.  Some are definitely getting lighter in color while others have remained unchanged.  Could it be that there are several different types or causes for age spots where some are positively affected by iodine intake (or caused by a lack of iodine?) while others have a different root cause?  Unfortunately no way to tell.

it may depend on the kind of tissue and the location if the accumulations are removed more quickly or more slowly. after all, the accumulation doesn't always take the same amount of time either. if you want to experiement a bit you can try mixing iodine 50:50 with dmso and apply it topically to certain age spots. dmso carries everything deep into the tissue and the cells so if the iodine helps with removal that's the fastest way. i don't know if it's gonna work with iodine, though. people have used dmso+mms successully for stuff like moles or certain growths but if used with mms it has to be removed after 2-3 minutes or the skin gets severely damaged. mms is much more aggressive than iodine but it's a sure, if somewhat painful, way to get rid of unsightly skin growths. they'll get pretty much burned out and then the skin can heal. otherwise the body would just leave the damaged/overgrown cells in place and continue to ignore them or add more crap, same as with age spots.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:38 am »
Thanks for the feedback Bio-shell.

From what I've read, iodine itself will absorb through the skin without a carrier like DMSO so it may be worthwhile to but a dab here and there on brown spots and rough patches of skin to see what happens.  I'm sure DMSO would make the absorption more efficient, but it would also add an other layer of complication to what I'm currently doing.  For now I'll stick with the basic protocol I'm following and when I do a skin patch test, I'll put the iodine on areas of brown spots and/or rough places to see if there is a noticable change in skin color or texture in these areas.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:36 am »
Nothing new to report on the iodine experiment.  Everything is pretty much the same as my previous post #1752 on Nov 5th.

Lex

Offline Bio-shell Avatar

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:47 pm »
i've done that for a while, putting just lugol's on brown spots, but also a mix of lugol's and 99% dmso (burns and itches quite a bit in certain places). the iodine as such won't be absorbed anymore after a while (or at least it will take very long for the spots to disappear, like several days) so i don't think that's going to help very much. didn't for me. i could have kept up with the lugol's+dmso experiment but i'm quickly getting bored with stuff if i don't get immediate results so i stopped it after three or four weeks. i think dmso+mms would be the best and fastest way but i haven't tried that yet. i'm afraid of the pain, haha

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 17, 2012, 01:02:49 pm »
i could have kept up with the lugol's+dmso experiment but i'm quickly getting bored with stuff if i don't get immediate results so i stopped it after three or four weeks. i think dmso+mms would be the best and fastest way but i haven't tried that yet. i'm afraid of the pain, haha

I've found that many things take months or even years to see all the changes that will result.  I was still seeing changes from my zero carb diet after 2 years or more.  The changes were small but still measurable.  For this reason I commit to each change for at least 6 months before I decide whether to continue or not.  Three to four weeks just isn't enough for most things.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2012, 01:04:36 am »
Still no detox problems with my increased intake of 100mg/day iodine in the form of 6 drops of 5% Lugol's solution mixed with 16oz (500ml) of water 3 times per day.

Also, no real significant change in my BPH symptoms.  They seem to be a little better, but not by a whole lot.  Maybe one less "get-up" on average during the night, and a little more urine voided each time.  The feeling of urgency is also noticably reduced.

Another thing I've noticed with the increase in iodine intake is that the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet, (areas that don't tan) have taken on a slight but noticable amber colored hue.  I had a similar experience when I was drinking lots of carrot juice 20-30 years ago and my hands and feet took on an orange hue. The yellowish amber hue is ligher and less obvious than the orange color created by consuming large amounts of carrot juice, but it is definately there.  I hope this is a good thing and indicates that tissues are saturated with iodine, but of course it could be totally unrelated.  No real way to tell.

Hope springs eternal...

Lex
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:06:18 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 19, 2012, 07:53:15 pm »
I've found that many things take months or even years to see all the changes that will result.  I was still seeing changes from my zero carb diet after 2 years or more.

Lex, if you review your zero carb diet from day one. What are the TOP 10 benefits, from your experience?

Löwenherz

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 22, 2012, 12:34:18 pm »
Lex, if you review your zero carb diet from day one. What are the TOP 10 benefits, from your experience?

I'm not much good at figuring out a list of top 10 benefits.  The specifics things on such a list change depending on point of view or context of a discussion.

What I can say is that my overall general health has improved dramatically.  My annual lab work is very good for someone my age.  I don't have to take medication for cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, and elevated triglycerides.  My weight is "normal" and I feel great and can physically do most anything I want to do.

Compared to 10 years ago when I was 50+ pounds overweight, was always tired, and often didn't feel like getting out of bed in the morning, not to mention all the pills my doctor wanted me to take, life today is wonderful.

Lex

Offline TexasLady

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 26, 2012, 03:16:26 am »

Incidentally, the second study talks about lower core body temperature being associated with greater longevity, which is probably one of the reasons for the claims you mentioned encountering before about lower body temperature being healthier. I think I read somewhere that higher body temp is associated with greater fertility, physical development and athletic prowess. If all these correlations are real, then the ideal body temperature depends on whether one's goals are maximum longevity or fertility/development or in-between.

Diet and Eating Patterns and Problems That Brought Me Here

I am doing the entire thread reading at this point but am only about 20% through.  The reason I began it is because I am a meat lover, vegetable hater (for the most part), fruit lover especially if it is high mountain fruits.  However, during my middle years, I have taken to also loving carbs as in potatoes, pasta and crackers (along with some breads).  This has been devastating to my weight, and I am now obese (about 50 pounds over weight).  Several years ago I decided I was "allergic" to carbs which meant that they were doing me a disservice in that I felt ill whenever I ate them.

In fact, I was experimenting on foods, and one test I did involved bread.  I found I gained weight whenever I ate bread.  But I scoffed at that idea and thought that it was a one time reaction.  So I decided to show myself that it didn't make any difference.  So I decided to have a sandwich every day for lunch.  Others do it:  Why can't I?  Day 1, I gained 1 pound.  Day 2 I gained one pound.  So after gaining five pounds in five days, I decided to cut the bread to a one slice sandwich.  Day 6, I gained one pound.  Day 7, I gained one pound and on to day 9 where I had finally gained ten pounds.  I decided that I was right:  Bread was bad for me.  But I was also sure that, by cutting bread, my body would take over and readjust.  That was a wrong conclusion!  It took me nearly a month and a half to lose that weight!    After that, I decided that I would eat bread only occasionally or not at all.

Then I also tried that same practice with potatoes--one or two a day.  My family raised potatoes in Idaho for decades, and surely they were not going to hurt me.  I was wrong.  Again, I gained weight (though not as bad).

Pasta might have been the worst.  I tried it for three days, I think I recall gaining five pounds.   That was a quit immediately reaction.

I then did an intestinal cleanse thinking that I had a build up lots of gunk in my system.  I should have lost weight, but I was gaining!  I discovered that the bulk they were using was a type of wheat.  It not only made me feel sick and full, but it again made me gain weight.

So I was tested for allergies to wheat.  There is no indication I am celiac.

When my son died unexpectedly three years ago, then my mother became ill, and my mother in law died (shortly thereafter my mother died), I found I had suddenly acquired a very high sugar reading.

Several months later, I went to a doctor about my health issues including the fact that I was having memory problems.  (This is consistent with several things including high weight, loss of loved ones and Alzheimers Disease.)  They assured me that, on their "diet" to cure my ills, I would lose a lot of weight suggesting 15-20 in a couple of weeks (which seemed a bit rash for me).  I gained two pounds.  The doctor was amazed and perplexed.  I was bilked and promptly quit him.

Then I tried Dr. Simeon's diet.  On 500 calories PLUS hcg, I was able to lose weight.  Without the hcg, I did not lose.  But as soon as I quit it, I was on the train to gain, and I could not stop that train or get off or slow it.  I was back up within weeks to the weight I had prior to the diet.  I tried Simeon's diet again and again, but I still could not maintain my lower weight though I did lose fabulously.  I finally figured out why, and I have corrected that problem in my most recent of five tries to lose weight.  If I can bear to do it again, I think I will be able to maintain the loss this time.  But 500 calories is a rough eating pattern, and when I do it, I must be very, very strict with what I eat and very regimented.  I am not so good at that.  I don't like to feel weak from lack of food or feed sick from withdrawals.  I also don't like the nervousness that seems to accompany quick weight loss.  But it is a way for me.

I am still looking for a way of eating that will work for me for the remainder of my life.  Nothing so far done has changed my extremely great ability to store fat, and I continue to be a storage facility.

Recently I received an email about how pigs are being fed a particular supplement that keeps their intestinal tract from getting dangerous, contagious diarrhea.  (I raise beef cattle, and this was about feed.)  I have been told that everything that your system needs runs through your intestinal tract, and if it is not healthy, you're not healthy.  As a result, I have been considering that the fix needs to, at least, start there.  So I began to look it up to see what that product did.  And this is how I found Lex Rooker.

I have been told that meat will cause cancer.  I am a meat lover, and this is not good news to me.  I have been known to eat only meat in a day's time because it satisfies my hunger, and I don't want anything else to eat when I am full on meat.  But since being told that meat causes cancer, I've been inclined to cut some of it from my diet.  I even considered, briefly and with great trepedation, changing to a vegetarian or vegan.  But veggies are just unappealing to me, and they neither taste good or fill me up--and then there is the fact that I can't grow all my own, so I don't much want to eat the chemicals that I know are in them. 

But here is Lex Rooker who is eating a lot of meat, and although it is common that men do have prostate problems (and Lex did not have the best start in his life with all the problems he encountered as a young child), this proclamation that meat causes cancer might not be true.

In coming here, I also discovered Owlsley "Bear" Stanley.  I am in the process of reading his views on meat eating (about 25% through).  It is fascinating that he was almost entirely a meat eater--I say this because he also ate some chilis, cheese, garlic and other spices though he said he ate only 5% carbs (which seems correct from what I see in his diet).  I also noticed that he had cancer (though it was finally attributed to the HPV in his tonsils) which caused destruction of half of his vocal cords.  He also had a coronary bypass.  This is also a threat from the powers that be to meat eaters, and my dad died of a massive heart attack as well as my uncle, and my aunt has had a bypass, and my cousin (age 61) had a small heart attack also.  My great grandmother also had heart issues.  Dad was a big meat eater, but he was a big eater of everything.  He was 280 when he died and about 25% over weight.

I have done Atkins prior to most of my fight with obesity, and I have re-considered trying it again with more meat and fat and less veggies.  The last time I did Atkins, I found that eating more than 20 carbs a day made me not lose weight, and eating more than 35 made me gain!  So much for Atkins and 100 carbs a day.  Bear said Atkins sold out, and I tend to agree, at least for me, he did because his set points on carbs are way too high for me.

But I realize that, for me, eating meat is likely going to be an answer to my problem.  I like it, it agrees with me, and if I had to eat only one food type, I would eat meat (though nuts would be a hard giveaway).   It matters little.  I will be required to eat meat, and if, eating it, I can become thinner, then I will be happy.  If it shortens my life (as suggested) then I will have to live a shorter life.  However, I believe obesity is more likely to shorten my life because of the fat and extremely insulin that my body seems to want to produce when I eat carbs.  (I have had a BG of 545 at one time.)

One more point I would like to make about vegetables and other kinds of food.  Increasingly, the big companies (Monsanto) are stepping into production of plants.  They have created GMO products that we are to eat without knowledge of their safety.  They have created bug poisons that we are to eat without knowledge of their safety.  Farmers have no choice in many cases whether or not to use their products, and frankly, it seems to me that these products are showing themselves to be not good for a body.  I believe more like Bear that our bodies were likely not meant to eat vegetables on a regular basis (in spite of the threats by vegans and vegetarians that it is extremely dangerous to eat meat and the FDA that insists that vegetables are required for a healthy lifestyle).  I have also concluded that dairy (also a highly manipulated and covered up industry) is generally not for adults which is another idea that Bear had.   However, eating meat that is from the feedlot (another highly manipulated product) is, IMHO, not wisdom.  I know what the feedlots put in their meat, and I do not believe the FDA's promise that the meat is free of the chemicals after short periods.  I will note that few ranchers eat feedlot beef, and you would be surprised how many of them live to be in their 80s and 90s.  Therefore, we elected to grow our own beeves, and I believe it is safer and wiser to eat meat from animals that are not given chemicals in the last few weeks of their lives.

Yesterday I restarted Atkins.  The last time I so craved carbs in the first few weeks that I couldn't continue.  I anticipate that this will happen again.  I am not sure how to deal with that, and so I thought I might, this time, eat carbs for a meal or eat small amounts of carbs when I am craving them badly.  I suppose, over time, I can incline myself to quit them because IMHO they are like a drug, and quitting them becomes such a severe craving that it is hard to resist and hard to overcome.  I am not sure how that will work, but at least it will help me take off some of my weight which scares me.  I am not at all inclined to suffer, and I don't do suffering well, and unlike Lex, I have not been a marathon runner, and in fact, discovered I have what is called Exercise Asthma (which means that highly stressing my lungs causes them to do poorly).  This adds another problem to my issues with obesity.

Family Health History

My great grandmother was warned ten years before her death that she was either going to take off the weight (she was more obese than I am) or she would not live another two years.  She lost most of it, and she died a relatively thin woman.  She also had been a big meat eater, and like dad, enjoyed her food.  She had been diagnosed with arrthymia.  My great grandmother, Granny Drake, lived to be 97.  Her daughter, my grandmother Nell, died at 84.  My dad (and his brother) died of massive heart attacks while in their early 50s.  No one else in the family of eight died prior to their 70s (with my last uncle on my dad's side (the last of the boys and the youngest) having died in his mid 70s).  My oldest aunt, Alice Marie, died of pancreatic cancer at 83.  Second oldest, Charlotte is still alive but did have a bypass.  Jackie and Della Jane died from Alzheimers complications in their early 80s and late 70s respectively.  Pat, my uncle died from lymphoma at 75.  (Cancer in my family is minimal and differentiated in types.  I am told it could well be because the family lived in Idaho when the atomic clouds passed over there which some attribute to higher cancer rates.)  Heart issues are more prevalent on my dad's side of the family.

My mother's father, Otto, had lower than normal blood temperature--in the 97 degree range from my recollection.  He was 80 when he had a stroke and died a few weeks later.  His wife, Elizabeth, died at about 82 from a combination of Parkinson's and poor care at the nursing home.  My mother's sister got cervical cancer and died at about 55.  My mother's brother is in his 90s and still alive last I heard.  My mother died 10/20/10 at 90 from improper care in the hospital.  She did not have any health issues that are inherited (except possibly cataracts) and had a slight stroke.

A Little of My Health Information

I was diagnosed with arrthymia when I was pregnant with my second son.  I had not been diagnosed with it prior to that time, and the MD that diagnosed me said that it was not uncommon for a woman to get arrthymia during pregnancy and often it did not continue.  I have noticed that I do still have arrthymia, but it has now become a longer, faster than normal heartbeat at times--a racing feeling (which is how it has always felt) that has increased in length of time.

Until my 4th son, I had maintained my weight at about 140-150, and at 5'5", that is just a little over weight.  With my 4th son, I gained 50 pounds and could not take it off after the c-section.  I discovered after about ten years of wondering why I couldn't lose the weight, much to my chagrin,  that the doctors cut women's stomach muscles and do not repair them after a c section.  Since a person's core muscles are some of the most used muscles in their body (and the largest), it was no wonder I gained and could not lose.  I had lost the function of these large muscles that helped me use the energy I was eating.  Therefore, I could not lose a pound, and I eventually gained another 30 pounds.  (I have considered a tummy tuck which would sew those muscles together again, but I was told that it can create more problems than the ones I have.  I am not sure of that, but I have hesitated so far.)

With the increased care of the elderly these days, I imagine I should live to be at least 90; however, with the insulin problems I have and with the increased weight, I may not if I cannot fix that problem.  And with the heart issues in my family, it is probably a good idea to get my weight down.  Eating solely/mainly meat might be my answer.  So I am now in the process of researching it. 

Like Lex, I am an avid researcher, and I do not start on a project without doing a lot of research and knowing what I am doing.  So this is my first foray into the art of eating meat as a sole (or mostly sole) dietary experience.

Your comment (above) was something I needed to respond to because of my own experience.  Although I cannot speak for the majority of others, only myself, what you say you thought you read that high body temperature means better fertility is IMHO a fallacy for women.

My normal body temperature is 97.6 although it seems to be getting lower in the last few years and now tests even at 97.4 (maybe the type of thermometer they are now using).  When I take it orally myself, even when I feel like I have a temperature, it is no more than 98.4 normally.  If I take it when I feel well, it is always in the 97s.

When I was younger (I am Lex's age), I could stand by a man and get pregnant.  I used all kinds of birth control methods, and I would get pregnant immediately if I didn't carefully meet the requirements of the device or pill.  I have had eight or nine pregnancies; however, I have also had only four children (probably because of the damage done to my uterus during my first delivery).

Therefore, I do not believe that a low body temperature is indicative of infertility. 

I do believe I have, as a family history, a lower basal metabolic rate.  I have found also that doing the patch test, I absorb the iodine within four to seven hours.  I have done it twice in two days now, and this morning, I put the iodine on my skin at about 7, and it is 11, and very light now.  It will probably be gone in another two or three hours.  Although I have painted myself with iodine, consistency is not my forte, and so I do it as I remember or am reminded, although the spot has never lasted 24 hours on me.

I am very interested in changing my diet to meat only (or mostly), so I will be continue to read about Lex’s progress and how he has managed his meat only diet.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I do believe that experiences that people have with diets are a great way to discover what is best for a person’s body and to change to help yourself stay healthy.  I am not afraid of death, but if I had my choice, it would be after a long, healthy life.

Questions for Lex Rooker:

Could it be possible that Bear (Owlsley) had a heart attack from eating meat which caused arthrosclerosis?  Do you have any indications that you have artery problems?  If not, do you have any history of this in your family?  What reasons would you attribute to your having/not having heart issues?  Do you believe meat causes heart attacks eventually?

Is it possible that meat has caused your prostate problem?  Could it be that the prostate is particularly sensitive to the chemicals in meat (from the feedlot) and that eating “organic” or “all natural” meat would be best?

Would it be a good idea to include herbs in your regimen for prostate problems?  http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Top_Ten_Herbs_for_Prostate_Health_a1435.html

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:46:37 am by TexasLady »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 26, 2012, 04:00:57 am »
there's lots of info that cooked meat leadS to cancer. look into HCA's.

the same thing applies to cooked fat.

raw meat and Raw fats don't have those same problems.

I noticed I lost a lot of weight on raw paleo. but on a sad diet I gain weight very quickly. good luck and welcome to the forum.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline TexasLady

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 26, 2012, 08:48:44 am »
Thank you for the welcome.

Wow!  I guess I thought that the "raw" in RAW was rare.  I have to think about whether I can eat raw or not.  hmmm  I have eaten Lynx, but it was cooked.

So what is a "sad" diet?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:20 am »
SAD diet = standard american diet.

Raw meat is actually perfectly safe when its grass fed beef, lamb, buffalo, etc. consider looking into it more before abandoning the idea.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: December 01, 2012, 01:06:34 am »
Questions for Lex Rooker:

Could it be possible that Bear (Owlsley) had a heart attack from eating meat which caused arthrosclerosis?  Do you have any indications that you have artery problems?  If not, do you have any history of this in your family?  What reasons would you attribute to your having/not having heart issues?  Do you believe meat causes heart attacks eventually?

It certainly could be that Owsley's heart attack and cancer were caused by eating a meat heavy diet but I don't have any basis for thinking so.  Millions of people get heart disease and cancer eating a carb centric diet.  There just isn't enough information available to know what caused Owsley's problems.

I have no indications of heart or artery disease at this time.  Males in my family tend to die early but none that I know of were attributed to heart disease.  My great grandfather, grandfather, and father all died between 80 and 85.

I can't attribute anything to my lack of heart disease.  I don't even know if I have heart disease - only that I have no symptoms of heart disease at this time.  My arteries could be clogging as I write this.  The thing is, I don't care.  If I die from a heart attack tomorrow, so be it.  You see, I don't care about living a very long life.  I care about having a very high quality life while I'm alive.  What good is living to 100 if for the last 15 to 20 years you are unable to do the things you love to do?   I'd prefer to die early than to live the last years of my life with dementia or some other major disability.

What I believe doesn't matter.  If meat causes heart attacks or doesn't cause heart attacks isn't changed by what I believe.  What I can say is that I have no evidence that meat causes heart attacks anymore than carbs or any other single item causes heart attacks.

Is it possible that meat has caused your prostate problem?  Could it be that the prostate is particularly sensitive to the chemicals in meat (from the feedlot) and that eating organic or “all natural” meat would be best?

I had the prostate condition before I started eating meat.  In fact, I developed it when I was eating a mostly vegan/vegetarian diet.  Maybe it was the carbs that caused it.

I eat grassfed meat that is raised with no chemicals or hormones.  I don't' eat "organic" meat because the label "organic" is meaningless.  You can feed cows grain which is not their natural diet and label the meat organic.

Would it be a good idea to include herbs in your regimen for prostate problems?  http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Top_Ten_Herbs_for_Prostate_Health_a1435.html

I've tried all sorts of herbal remedies and none of them have worked.

Lex

Offline edwardBe

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: December 22, 2012, 01:57:56 am »
Lex,

If you haven't looked at it yet, CLA is reported to block metastasis of prostate tumors in mice. The Caveman doctor has a page on it and other ketosis related therapies:
http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/01/23/can-eating-fat-stop-cancer-in-its-tracks-what-is-cla-and-why-do-we-care

Edward

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: December 22, 2012, 02:40:13 am »
Edward,
I eat about 95% grass-fed beef which is one of the higher sources of CLA listed in the post you linked.  Not sure what more I could do.  What I can say is that eating grass-fed meat (and hence relatively large amounts of CLA) hasn't cured or stopped the progress of my BPH problems.  That is why I'm currently experimenting with the iodine protocol.

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #1768 on: December 22, 2012, 02:59:04 am »
I know you loathe herbal products but their previous lack of success may have been due to practising them during your raw vegan days, perhaps?   Also, since you eat some part of your foods cooked, you might very well find that you get a prostate improvement if you go all-raw, since various  types of heat-created toxins do play a major role in prostate cancer:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22206663

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cooked-meats

Given that you already eat a lot raw in your diet already, you would probably need to try the above all-raw version for somewhat longer than your usual past trials, in order to see if it works long-term. After all, your prostate might be particularly prone to small amounts of such heat-created toxins.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »
I don't know Tyler.  I eat so little cooked food, maybe 2 times per month and then it is cooked blu (grill marks but cold and raw under the surface), that I don't see how this could be much of a factor.  If we humans are that sensitive I'm not sure how our species have survived this long.

Have tried several herbal remedies in the last several years and none of them have had any effect whatever.  Some were recommended by my doctor.  If there had been any improvement at all I'd have mentioned it here in my journal.  I know others are afflicted with the same condition and all of us are looking for relief.

Still working on the iodine protocol.  Will know in July if it has had any significant effect.  At this point there is less urgency, a small but measurable increase in time between urination, and a small increase in voided volume, but certianly not the Holy Grail of an overnight cure.  At this point improvements are small and slow in coming.

Lex
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:43:50 pm by lex_rooker »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #1770 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »
Oh, I'd thought you were eating  quite a bit of pemmican. My mistake.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 24, 2012, 07:41:45 pm »
I don't know Tyler.  I eat so little cooked food, maybe 2 times per month and then it is cooked blu (grill marks but cold and raw under the surface), that I don't see how this could be much of a factor.  If we humans are that sensitive I'm not sure how our species have survived this long.
To survive, a specie only needs to be able to reproduce, as Seignalet noted here in point 4 :

As it happens, selective pressure is low. The ailments caused by modern foods only show up in later life, and further, do not hinder reproduction.
The amount of health troubles is not linearly proportional to the  percent of cooked food in the diet. Moreover, there’s no proportionality between these troubles and the cooking temperature — at least that's what our experiments and real life experiences have shown.

Best wishes
François
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 25, 2012, 12:56:28 am »
Oh, I'd thought you were eating  quite a bit of pemmican. My mistake.

Actually I eat very little pemmican.  I take it with me when traveling in case I can't find a decent meal and that is only a couple of times per year.  I ate pemmican for 3 meals total last year while attending a seminar.  We were a captive audiance and they had our meals catered.  It was one of the rare times that I found almost nothing edible.  Every meal was a pasta dish with garlic bread and an iceberg lettuce salad with Thousand Island dressing and a single cherry tomato to brighten things up.   Sodas, Gatoraid, or pre-sweetened ice tea were the beverage choices.  I ate pemmican and drank water for that 3 days.

Other than that I eat fresh meat and only eat cooked meat for two monthly luncheons that are held at a local steak house.  It makes commercial steak houses nervous if you order raw as they are afraid that if you get sick you'll sue them.  It's just easier for all concerned to order it extra extra rare.  Makes the restaurant feel like they've met the health codes by putting the meat on the grill for a few seconds, and for my part the meat is mostly raw with just a few grill marks on it. 

Lex

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 25, 2012, 10:59:52 am »
Lex,  I thought you had written where you now process/render most or all your fat (with heat) ?   I still enjoy putting my back fat through the meat grinder with small sieve (connective tissue and all) and then placing it (in bowl) into a large pot of water that's around 100f.  After  some minutes, depending on how much fat and what temperature it started at, it starts to separate, liquids and solids.   It has the most delicious flavor, with a golden color like melted butter.    I like to make it fresh each time, for I believe the meat grinder ads air into the fat and the combination of air and gentle temp oxidizes it to some degree.    Some day I would love to bite into freshly killed back fat, still warm,,, to compare to days old fat that's been either aged or wrapped or refridgerated.   I doubt in nature fat on any killed animal lasted more than a day or two before all the scavengers gorged on it first along with the organs. 

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 25, 2012, 04:31:18 pm »
Van,
I always have lots of rendered fat around as I make a lot of pemmican during demos.  I've gone through phases where I used mostly rendered fat in my food mix as it is easiest to store, but for quite some time I've gone back to using ground suet for my mix.  Just tastes better.  If Slankers is out of Suet or fat then I'll go back to using rendered fat for a month but will return to suet again when it is available.

The only fat from freshly killed animals that I've had much exposure to is bloated dead cats and dogs on the side of the road.  Not overly appetizing to me.  Most of the fat I'm exposed to comes in plastic bags or shrink wrap packages from meat suppliers or the local market.  Maybe if I was younger I'd be excited about putting on a coon skin cap and foraging for fresh meat, but at this point in my life I prefer to spend what time I have left working in my shop.  Admittedly my shop is not paleo, but it brings me joy.

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk