Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 825446 times)

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #700 on: October 31, 2009, 07:42:41 pm »
Lex,

I appreciate what you're doing for us.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 01, 2009, 12:57:36 am »
I appreciate what you're doing for us.

Glad to do it.  I've learned a lot since I started this so to be honest it's a rather selfish endevor.

Lex

Offline Warrior Woman

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 04, 2009, 08:57:38 am »
Lex
Thanks for what you are doing. It is a shame that there isnt a medical/scientific group that could help/sponsor you in some way! With what you are willing to do, going the extra mile, it would be very cool to have some way to offer you testing for free! But of course they would probably want you to sign away your rights to talk freely about it.....

I recently had my blood work done and received the 30 second "you have high cholesterol and need to go on a cholesterol lowering diet. Come back in 4 weeks to retest your blood and maybe prescribe something" I did call them and tried to have an educated conversation with the person on the other end (not the doctor). In frustration I had them fax it to me. Although the overall number is a bit high, my HDL is high, tri's are low and right there on the paperwork it says 'LOWER THAN AVERAGE' rick for heart disease...... sigh

What scared and bothered me most was that my A1c is 6%. No one said a FRIGGIN WORD about that!!

I have dabbled in the VLC/ZC world. I know I need to get my act together. With seeing that number for my A1c and a LONG list of other symptoms that may be the onset of celiac and/or diabetes I am scared poop-less. Being that auto-immune runs in the family, I want/need to act on this NOW!

My question is what tests would you recommend that I get from the doctor? He will pretty much write a prescription for anything I ask for. That is one of the reasons I go to him!  >D

Sorry for the long story for a quick question....

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #703 on: November 05, 2009, 05:02:49 am »
My question is what tests would you recommend that I get from the doctor?

Lex if you don't mind answering in addition the that;

Any recommendations for at home test as well? Stuff you don't need to send to a lab. I already have a glucose monitor I check every other week or so.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 06, 2009, 02:46:58 am »
Lex, do you mind going into more detail about your hair loss and when it stopped? How soon did you notice that it was stopping? Have you noticed any new growth? Also, other zc'ers have noticed new hair growth elsewhere- have you experienced this as well? Thanks again.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 06, 2009, 08:36:55 am »
I grew significant chest hair for the first time in my life at age 45 after going carnivore. The hairloss on my head slowed down but it hasn't stopped yet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 06, 2009, 01:59:43 pm »
What scared and bothered me most was that my A1c is 6%. No one said a FRIGGIN WORD about that!!

I had the same problem with HbA1c as mine was 6.0% as well.  If you're reading this journal then you know that I've lowered my protein intake and raised my fat intake which has dropped BG by about 15 points.  I'll be having another HbA1c test in early January to see if this change in diet has had any significant effect.

My question is what tests would you recommend that I get from the doctor? He will pretty much write a prescription for anything I ask for. That is one of the reasons I go to him! 

Attched to the very first post in this journal are my past 3 (or is is 4 now), blood tests.  You can see exactly what I have tested.  This last test I added HbA1c as the previous tests didn't have that.  Future annual tests (done in July) will include HbA1c as well as 25 (OH) D3, vitamin D levels, and I'd like to include an Omega-3 Index test as well which shows the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids in our own tissues, but not sure it is available from the medical center I use. 

Hope this helps,

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 06, 2009, 02:11:25 pm »
My question is what tests would you recommend that I get from the doctor?

Lex if you don't mind answering in addition the that;

Any recommendations for at home test as well? Stuff you don't need to send to a lab. I already have a glucose monitor I check every other week or so.

I routinely measure Blood Glucose with a BG meter, Urinary Ketones with Ketostix, and Urine pH with wide spectrum pH paper. 

I also have some Bayer Multistix 10 SG Urinalysis reagent strips that I use occasionally that check urine for Glucose, Bilirubion, Ketones, Specific Gravity, Blood, pH, Portein, Urobilinogen, Nitrite, and Leukocytes.  The strips are very expensive at about $1.25 each and I had to purchase 100.  I got them when I did my first high fat experiment just to see if anything unusual was happening in the urine.  Every test I've made with them shows normal except for ketones (usually high) and pH (usually low at 5.0 to 5.5 which is acidic), so I wouldn't recommed you spend the money on them.

Other than this I don't know of much that we can test for without access to a lab.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 06, 2009, 02:23:04 pm »
Lex, do you mind going into more detail about your hair loss and when it stopped? How soon did you notice that it was stopping? Have you noticed any new growth? Also, other zc'ers have noticed new hair growth elsewhere- have you experienced this as well? Thanks again.

I started noticing that I was losing my hair at about age 35 and most of it was completely gone on the top of my head by age 50.  I didn't pay much attention as at my age plumage is not all that important to me, but one day, after being mostly ZC for about 3 years or so, I was looking in the mirror and noticed that I had a bit more hair on the top of my head than I had previously remembered.  Some had certainly grown back, but I expect that most of the follicles were damaged for so long that they couldn't regenerate.

Danny (on this forum and ZIOH as well) was losing his hair and he said that the rate of loss either stopped or slowed so much that he can't detect it any more, and that was within just a few months of changing his diet to ZC (or pemmican, I'm not sure which) if I remember correctly.  You might PM him on ZIOH to get the details.

Best I can do as unfortunately I'm still quite follically challenged,

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 07, 2009, 06:32:29 am »
I also have an inexpensive home blood pressure / heart rate wrist device (it's not extremely accurate, but gives a ballpark idea) and a digital bathroom weight scale that also gives body fat %, body water %, muscle % and bone mass %, etc.

My fasting blood glucose got down to 72 and the random 81 when I first went standard cooked Paleo, though they were gradually creeping up (in retrospect, I had been gradually eating more so-called "Paleo"--according to conventional Paleo dieters--carbs like raw fruits, cooked squashes and all-natural, unsweetened, organic fruit juices), but didn't measure at a level that troubled any physician, so the only odd numbers I've gotten are the ketones and urine pH and bilirubin. As I understand it, bilirubin tends to run high among low carb dieters (in the months before the test I had dramatically reduced my carbs).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:49:11 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 09, 2009, 06:05:09 am »
Lex, Yuri reports getting kidney stones and gout when going ZC, and he found this: "uric acid stones have occasionally been found in epileptic children following the ketogenic diet. This appears to be related to high levels of urinary ketones, low urinary pH and fluid restriction in these patients." (The ketogenic diet: a complete guide for the dieter and practitioner, by Lyle McDonald, 2000)

The strange thing is, Yuri reports a neutral urinary pH.

Dr. Harris suggested in his blog comments to a reader who gets gout when eating a LC, high-protein diet that high levels of fat help avoid protein excess while still avoiding gout-causing fructose. This seems to be another confirmation, along with your a1c levels, that high levels of fat are important on a ZC diet.

What are your thoughts on this?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 10, 2009, 04:03:41 am »
Phil,
My response today is totally different than what it would have been 3 days ago as I just suffered through my first kidney stone and spent several hours in the emergency room of my local hospital.  The pain is unbelievable.  The CT Scan showed several stones and lots of calcification in the urinary tract area.  I’ll be seeing my doctor and an urologist over the next week or so to get the official take on the situation.

As to the cause being a meat centric diet?.... I’m not totally convinced.  My father suffered from kidney stones for over 20 years with a major attack occurring every couple of years. He ate what would be considered a very conservative diet of unsweetened whole wheat cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, a typical dinner of meat, vegetable, salad, and starch (potatoes/rice/pasta).  Desert was a handful of almonds, raisins, a few dates or fresh fruit when in season.

My son-in-law is an MD in his mid 40s.  He suffers from kidney stones as well as gout and he eats a similar diet to my dad's but with a lot more fruit and veggies.

My guess is that my issue is more related to not drinking enough water.  With BPH you tend to drink only as much as will just quench your thirst so that you spend less time at the urinal.  One of the things I measure daily is my urine Specific Gravity which tells how concentrated it is.  It always measures 1.030+ which is very dense and I expect is what causes the calcium and other salts to precipitate out and form stones – much like water pipes becoming clogged over the years in areas of very hard water.  The doctors in the emergency commented on the overly concentrated urine stating that it showed constant chronic mild dehydration. My father suffered from mild BPH and I expect that keeping fluid intake low to reduce trips to the restroom were a major contributor to his problems as well.

Anyway we’ll see how things progress.  At this time I’ll be making no changes to the way I eat other than to add significantly more water in an attempt to reduce urine Specific Gravity to 1.010 or thereabouts.  Will report on what the Doc’s say when I get more info.  May also check in with Dr Harris and get is take on it.

More on this as it develops,

Lex
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:37:54 am by lex_rooker »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:08 am »
  Hi Lex,  thanks for reporting the good and the bad.  Of course we are all concerned. Kinda of like the one sheep that made it back to tell what happened.    Been meaning to write back to you; haven't been able to talk to Ron Rosedale yet.  An email stating that he and his son have been busy in India working on diabetes there.  Hopefully will make direct contact, and we'll see what comes of it.  Best of luck in the next days.  Gotta go, going over to the kitchen to get a glass of water.  Van

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 10, 2009, 04:32:19 am »
This is very interesting.

Since upping my meat and fat intake I also noticed my urine looks and feels more concentrated. I consume much less water than before simply because I am not thirsty.

And the thing is I do not feel that I am dehydrated at all.  Even when exercising.

So this is interesting development as I'm sure none of us would like to get those stones.

Thanks for the update.

alphagruis

« Reply #714 on: November 10, 2009, 05:03:56 am »
Hi Lex, thank you very much for your journal.

When on a standard diet I suffered repeatedly from calcium based kidney stones. Besides not drinking enough water a possible cause may also be some trouble with the parathyroid glands secreting to much parathormon. This hormon is involved in blood calcium balance. In principle doctors are trained to check it. 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:27 am »
Hey Lex, what do you think is the main cause of hair loss of follicle damage? I noticed a few years back when I was on raw vegan that my hair line seems a bit far back. I didn't notice until during the Summer I buzzed my hair very short. I tried looking back at older pictures, and from what I can tell my hair line has been relatively far back for a long time. It seems the same. Now I'm psyching myself out all the time, thinking I'm losing my hair. Stuff like finding hair in the shower. But then I think back to when I was much younger, high school or earlier, and I used to find hair in the shower then. It's one of those pernicious thoughts that sticks with you once you get it in your head. I'd like to avoid going bald if I can through diet. My personal thoughts on baldness is that it's a combo of genetics and diet, some will not lose hair even with the worst diet, but all can keep their hair with proper diet.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 10, 2009, 07:12:31 am »
Van – Thanks for the concern and no hurry regarding Ron Rosedale.  I don’t plan on going anywhere – gotta stay close to the emergency room you know…..    :D

Ys – I’ve never felt dehydrated either but when urine is very dark yellow and especially dark yellow brown the medical folks insist that it is a sign of dehydration.  And you are correct, you want to avoid kidney stones at all costs.  They may not kill you but the pain is so intense and relentless that you’ll probably wish you were dead just to get it done and over with.  They gave me one of their IV pain killers and it didn't do anything.  They ended up giving me morphine (on top of the original pain killer) and even that didn't knock it completely out - just barely made it tollerable.  This from a guy who has had dental work done without novocaine.

Alphargruis – no idea yet what type of stones I have.  I understand there are several different types.   My doctor is pretty thorough so if there are tests that can be run I expect he’ll run them.

Kyle – you are talking to the wrong guy on hair loss as I’m rather follicly challenged with my hairline having receded to meet my bald spot.  Diet? Genetic? Both?  Your guess is as good as mine.  I can say that after starting this dietary adventure that what few sprigs of hair (think Homer Simpson) were left on top did get a little thicker and have stabilized, but it certainly isn’t lush plumage by any stretch of the imagination.  I can say that my finger and toenails have become very tough and flexible rather than hard and brittle.  They no longer crack, split, or break - which makes it easier to pick up that hair in the bottom of the shower or sink. ;) 

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:09 am »
Haha thanks Lex, I'll keep tabs on my own hairline and be sure to let everyone know if it moves forward or backward. And get well soon, sorry to hear about your painful problem.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:22 am »
I'm really sorry to hear about the kidney stones, and this appears to be your only set back in the last 5 years?  Perhaps this is wishful thinking but could this be the last phase of detox?

Also, were there any signs that the kidney stones were coming, or did they come out of nowhere? Its really strange that you are dehydrated and not thirsty at the same time. Best of luck on the recovery.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 10, 2009, 07:58:37 am »
Sorry to hear about your horrific emergency room experience Lex!  I hope the problem doesn't reoccur and that you make a quick recovery.  If anybody can make positive of this experience Lex then we can be sure it is you and that you will gain further useful knowledge for yourself and the rest of us.

Personally, I will be keen to hear further about any outcomes or deductions.  I've been zc for around 3 months now and don't drink a great deal of water either.  Just a little concerned now!!   ???

Take care,

Michael
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 10, 2009, 08:31:00 am »
Paleo D – The kidney stones hit out of the blue.  No warning whatsoever.  And when it hit is was from zero to 100 on the pain scale in about 3 minutes.  I don’t believe in Detox except in the very first few weeks of a dietary conversion as the old bacteria die off and are slowly replaced by new bacteria appropriate for the new foods you are eating.  I could be wrong, but at this point I have no evidence that kidney stones have much at all to do with toxic substances other than those that the kidneys are designed to remove from our blood to keep us alive.  There seems to be a lot of evidence that if the urine is too concentrated some of the minerals can crystallize out of solution causing the stones to form. 

Michael – Thanks, I’ll take all the sympathy I can get.  Unfortunately, the CT Scan showed lots of calcification and stones.  I expect they started building 6 – 7 years ago when I was first diagnosed with BPH and followed the advice to reduce fluid intake to a minimum, especially at night, to keep restroom visits to a minimum.  If the overly concentrated urine theory is correct, this was exactly the wrong thing to do as I assure you I’d much rather get up several times during the night than endure the pain of passing a stone.

I’ll provide an update on this subject once I have the official medical prognosis.

BTW, this is exactly why I try not to provide advice and go to great lengths to tell both the good and the bad so that people can make their own informed decisions.  For all I know this condition could be an unintended consequence of the diet I’m eating. 

Lex

Offline Dextery

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:56 am »
In reading about your recent kidney stone problem, I did a search on www.bing.com for kidney stones and among the many pages I read, lack of water intake and consumption of meat beyond the needs of the body keeps popping up.  There is just tons of information about stones.

Nowhere did I read anything about zero carbs or high fat being implicated...

Your experience certainly has opened my eyes to the need to hydrate adequately.  I also have noticed since
starting paleo eating that my thirst level has diminished.  Going to rectify that...even if I do have to make
the numerous nightly trips to the bathroom.....that we both have been avoiding.

The content of the stones seem to dictate the treatment.

Thanks for being a laboratory of one.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 10, 2009, 09:47:35 am »
Aha, well sorry you had to be the guinea pig, but thanks for sharing this info, Lex. Your honesty about bad experiences makes your reports more reliable than the gurus who claim to be fit but are obviously flabby, ashen, etc. and is part of the reason I like your journal and is why I reported my recent mysterious episode of diarrhea, despite the embarrassment.

I have a history of calcium oxalate kidney stones and UTIs myself on the SAD and near-vegetarian diets, so this is good to know. I don't want to repeat that pain again. When I was following a nutritionist's recommended diet (lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, soy powder, tofu burgers, etc.) my urine was often deep brown and syrupy, no matter how much water I drank at my urologist's bidding (I never drank so much water in my life and could literally hear the water sloshing around in my gut as I walked--yet my urine remained too dark, according to my urologist). My urologist got angry when I tentatively asked about possible dietary factors beyond water. Yet, a few weeks after I later eliminated gluten from my diet my urine became as clear as water (it later became light, bright yellow, on avg).

I did notice that when I went ZC that I became less thirsty instead of more so like other people reported, and as I increased the rawness of my diet I became even less thirsty. When my urine got a bit deeper in color recently on fully raw than it had been on cooked VLC, and occasionally very bubbly (indicating high protein), I forced myself to drink some more water and then increased my fat intake (I had cut back on fat when I got overly sweet saliva, but discovered through your help that that was a temporary phenomenon) and it returned to its earlier appearance. I thought I might just be being paranoid because of my history, but it looks like I should be cautious.

It's interesting that some of the ketogenic dieters in the report were apparently drinking insufficient fluids too. Maybe there's something about ketogenic diets that reduces thirst to insufficient levels in people with systems that are not functioning properly in some unknown way.

I was puzzled that I was drinking less water as a carnivore than as an omnivore, since canines drink lots of water in the wild after eating. I figured that maybe the extra water in the raw meat was sufficient to hydrate me, but now I wonder. Maybe you and I have some malfunction in our system that's causing the normal dehydration signals to not work properly, so that our instincts are not reliable for us? It sounds like it's more of an issue for you so far, but I'll be even more watchful for signs of dehydration now. I'll also try to be careful not to let my protein intake level get too high, given Dr. Harris' warning about that, and may try to increase my magnesium intake a bit more.

If these measures don't keep my urine light then I may consider trying some plant foods again sooner than I intended (I wanted to get my dental and scalp health in more optimal shape first). But first I'll be interested to see what you find out from your investigations and I'll try to do some more research on nephrolithiasis and related matters myself. In the past I got dark urine, UTI's and brief, minor genitourinary pains before I developed stones (unfortunately, neither my doctors nor I recognized the early warning signals), so I'm hoping that means I won't get stones out of the blue like you did. If my urinalysis is abnormal at my next doctor's visit I think I'll ask for a CT scan check for stones to be on the safe side. They can hide in the kidneys without producing much in the way of symptoms until they dislodge, as you experienced.

What do you use to measure specific gravity--those Multistix? Maybe they're a good investment after all. Do you know what the composition of your stones was?

Like Dextery said, and given Dr. Harris' advice and my experience, I think the protein aspect of meat can contribute to certain kidney stones, whereas fat seems to help. It's possible that yours had been developing for a long time, but I think dehydration can cause them to develop fairly rapidly--but I need to refresh my memory on these things by reading up on it again. Interestingly, I discovered at the MayoClinic site that high doses of vitamin D can increase the concentration of calcium or oxalate in the urine. I don't recall hearing that one before.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:54:06 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 10, 2009, 10:36:33 am »
Lex,  I hope you are feeling a ton better real soon!

My mom just went through this same thing.  While passing the stones (over about a 7-day period) she craved about 2 gallons of water each day.  Her diet is a 'healthy SAD' if that makes sense... low fat, lots of grains, salads, fruits, lean chicken, etc. and a once a week splurge on ben and jerry's and/or a fine chocolate.

I still have every confidence in your diet, I just hope you never have to experience this again! 

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 10, 2009, 11:04:12 am »
Ioanna - I too, still have confidence in what I'm doing since there are many who are following all different sorts of dietary protocols and they end up with the same problems, often compounded with other issues like diabetes, arthritis, gout, lupus, & etc.  So far kidney stones are my only issue and I'll be looking for a way to keep track of what's going on in this area at my annual physical if my medical plan will pay for something like an annual CT Scan.  We'll see.

Phil - Yes, I use the Bayer Multistix 10 SG's.  They are not all that accurate, but certainly close enough to know if you are in the ball park.  I'll be looking for a better solution for measuring Specific Gravity and will report here what I come up with.  Actually wondering if a TDS (Total Disolved Solids) meter might work as well.  It would be a totally different scale but should give similar information as the more disolved solids the higher the specific gravity.  Again, we'll see.

I don't know if there is any other way to tell if there are kidney stones other than a CT Scan or similar.  I'll ask when I see the doc tomorrow.

My thirst diminished when I went ZC as well but felt it was a benefit as it helped mitigate the BPH symptoms.  As you can imagine I'm rethinking this strategy and have started consuming 5 or 6 - 16oz glasses of water per day.  At times I'm hitting the restroom every hour so will have to come to terms with the best way to manage this.

I'll be keeping the rest of my diet the same - about 80% calories from fat, 20% of calories from protein, and 95% raw (cooked when eating out).

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk