Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824509 times)

Offline Daryl

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #950 on: January 16, 2010, 01:20:08 am »
boy oh boy.  Thanks for the technical info, and my pupils shrunk to near zero, and most of my scrotum and penis retracted completely into my abdomen in sympathetic pain

LOL! Same here. I've passed one stone a few years ago, I don't wish that on anyone.

Lex, how have your BG readings been? Still seeing an improvement with the higher fat/lower protein mix?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 16, 2010, 06:44:29 am »
Lex, how have your BG readings been? Still seeing an improvement with the higher fat/lower protein mix?

BG readings have been consistently about 10 points lower.  It will be interesting to see if this has any significant effect on my HbA1c level.

Lex

Offline Daryl

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09:04 am »
I believe the A1c will indeed be lower, Lex. When do you get it done?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:16 am »
I believe the A1c will indeed be lower, Lex. When do you get it done?

I was going to have it done this month but now will probably wait until my next annual lab tests which I usually do in July.  It's not really a priority and I've already spent way too much time at the doctor's with my kidney stones and associated complications (blood in urine and bladder infection).

Lex

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 31, 2010, 09:50:05 pm »
Lex are you sure zero carb is the cause or is it that zero carb helps them dissolve enough so they can travel and cause pain?

Could kidney stones be caused buy not getting enough sun and your recent regime of sun exposure has dissolved the stones and dislodged them?

Thanks

PS They sound absolutely horrific, supposedly child birth is a picnic compared

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »
Lex, I started to take cold pressed krilloil - a thought the extra omega 3 would be a good thing...

What do you think of "Brian Peskin's" PEO pdf?

http://www.brianpeskin.com/PEOstheDifference.pdf

http://www.brianpeskin.com/lectures-recap.html

Nicola

I found this (could't go swimming because of all the snow on the roads...had to come home again and find out more about this subject):

http://li14-183.members.linode.com/knowyourfats/peskin-and-efas.html

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:18:50 pm by Nicola »

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 21, 2010, 09:01:26 pm »
Sorry about my last question - I am just taking the krilloil and getting on with life; I tend to question things even if I try to keep things simple!

Check this out if you find time; it's an interesting discussion about vitamin D

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=408245

Nicola

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 22, 2010, 12:47:15 am »
Lex are you sure zero carb is the cause or is it that zero carb helps them dissolve enough so they can travel and cause pain?
Could kidney stones be caused buy not getting enough sun and your recent regime of sun exposure has dissolved the stones and dislodged them?

There is much evidence that zero carb (ketogenic diets) can be the cause of kidney stones and are not their cure.  Children with epilepsy are often put on ketogenic diets and they develop kidney stones at a much greater rate than those who eat enough carbs to remain out of ketosis.  I doubt that sun exposure has much to do with it but of course I don't really know.  Since there was no lab work done to check for stones before I started this dietary adventure, we have no baseline to compare with.  One thing that is common to my case as well as many others, is that I wasn't drinking a lot of fluids so urine output was low and the specific gravity of the urine was high.  This is also the case with those on a ketogenic diet for epilepsy, their fluid intake is low as well so this may be the real key.

Dexter sent me an emial with an article stating that children on a ketogenic diet for epilepsy were having great success by adding potassium citrate to every meal.  This seems to keep the stones from forming.  What the mechanism is I have no idea as the article didn't say.

PS They sound absolutely horrific, supposedly child birth is a picnic compared

The pain is unbelievable.  What makes it so bad is that it is relentless.  It goes on for hours at a time with no let up, and the pain is so intense that even morphine just dulls the pain and makes it tollerable.

Lex

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 22, 2010, 12:56:03 am »
remain out of ketosis
There's nothing wrong with ketosis. Ketonemia is good - prolonged ketonuria is bad.

Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

William

« Reply #959 on: February 22, 2010, 04:20:50 am »
There is much evidence that zero carb (ketogenic diets) can be the cause of kidney stones and are not their cure. 

IIRC all those on ketogenic diets eat cooked meat, so their finding that they cause kidney stones is not relevant to you.
A very different diet, too different to be useful.  IMHO

Supplementation with potassium citrate is revealing, in that on a raw diet we need no such supplements.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: February 22, 2010, 04:33:03 am »
There's nothing wrong with ketosis. Ketonemia is good - prolonged ketonuria is bad.

If I'm not long ZC, could ketonuria be why I have pain from dryness/cracking in my bottom lip? If it was, then that should decrease as I use more of the ketones? I don't feel particularly thirsty but still have this problem.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 22, 2010, 04:37:48 am »
I have my doubts whether kidneys stones can be prevented on raw meat and fat/ZC diet just by adding a couple teaspoons of honey a day.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #962 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:46 am »
If I'm not long ZC, could ketonuria be why I have pain from dryness/cracking in my bottom lip?

My bottom lip used to crack too.  This was eons ago.  It used to bleed, just Winter dryness.  Is ketonuria what does this?  I was not a big eater.  I think I just needed fats in my case.  It pretty much stopped happening when I got more in control of exactly what I ate.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #963 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:11 am »
I have my doubts whether kidneys stones can be prevented on raw meat and fat/ZC diet just by adding a couple teaspoons of honey a day.

There is no evidence that kidney stones are caused by a raw fat & meat diet. IIRC

Honey??

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 22, 2010, 05:32:32 am »
honey are a source of carbs right? Doesnt lex accuse his kidney stone formation due to zero-carb?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #965 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:49 am »
honey are a source of carbs right? Doesnt lex accuse his kidney stone formation due to zero-carb?

Lex has expressed before that he wants to stay zero-carb and that it's the best diet out of all the very many health and restrictive diets for him, after all his experience.

He has also expressed before that he doesn't want people battling on his journal about non-zero carb, as he has no want of that.  He's also said he considers honey the same as a snicker's bar.

PS You didn't even say raw honey, let alone unheated.  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:50 am »
Well if one compares honey to a snickers bar then i guess i can compare meat to whey protein. Didint he say somehwere between pages 90-99 that it was caused by zero-carb? Your mind can get in the way of true health very easily. Judge the health of food not by the mind but with the effects it produces on you.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 22, 2010, 06:37:05 am »
I think I saw lex somewhere write that he chooses not to eat any eggs because he believes paleo man did not eat them often only seasonally. This is what i mean when ones mind can get in the way of true health.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #968 on: February 22, 2010, 06:47:42 am »
I think I saw lex somewhere write that he chooses not to eat any eggs because he believes paleo man did not eat them often only seasonally. This is what i mean when ones mind can get in the way of true health.

Yeah, and Lex doesn't eat dinosaurs.  I eat buffalo, fish, eggs, lots of foods.  If he likes beef and its organs, that's his choice.  I think it's a money thing too.  This diet can wind up being the most expensive thing in your life, not that eggs are overly expensive.  In farmers markets they can be $8.00/doz when I checked a year ago.  Are you eating any eggs?  We went out the other night with a friend and he said he's eaten turtle eggs, and that they taste phenomenal.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 22, 2010, 06:51:14 am »
Yes i eat eggs, although i dont know if i should be discarding the egg white or not.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #970 on: February 22, 2010, 06:53:37 am »
Yes i eat eggs, although i dont know if i should be discarding the egg white or not.

Are you eating the whites now?

Your mind can get in the way of true health very easily. Judge the health of food not by the mind but with the effects it produces on you.

I agree.  I continued being vegan and believing it was the best for everything for incredibly long.  Lex is older, I tend to think in his case he has more of a grasp of what's good for him than most people.  He keeps up with his bloodwork and check-ups too, and it seems generally he gets healthier.  I'm assuming you're younger than I am and still younger that when I started RAF.  Of course age doesn't mean everything or much in all cases.  I just think after a couple decades more experience you may try zero-carb too.  You haven't tried that.  Have you?  And I do know you are trying to help him, that's very nice.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 22, 2010, 07:18:56 am »
when i was eating eggs i ate them whole.I am on this raw food diet journey because the other option left for me is eating canned soups,microwavable dinners, fast food etc. Although this was somewhat what i was rasied on(not totally)and I was very healthy on it, I know that it probably wont work for the long-term.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:32 am »
RawZi are you ZC?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 22, 2010, 10:16:38 am »
Nicola,
I followed the links you provided and believe that most of it is just a sales pitch.  I’m also not so sure that there is any significant difference between the fats he recommends and what he calls ‘derivatives’.  By Peskin’s definition almost everything we eat is torn down and turned into derivatives by our digestion process which our bodies then use as building blocks for cells and as fuel.  He may well be correct, but if these special fats are not available in the proper proportions in my everyday food, then there is something fishy going on (pun intended).  Since his proprietary magic blend contains flax seed and coconut oils, I tend to think it’s mostly nonsense.  These would not have been available to paleo man.

IIRC all those on ketogenic diets eat cooked meat, so their finding that they cause kidney stones is not relevant to you.
A very different diet, too different to be useful.  IMHO

Supplementation with potassium citrate is revealing, in that on a raw diet we need no such supplements.

Interesting that you should come to this conclusion since I've been eating raw meat for over 4 years now and developed kidney stones.  I agree that we shouldn't need supplements to lead a healthy life, however, I don't assume that my current ZC dietary protocol is in any way the best approach, it is just the approach I'm following at the moment.  My current thinking is that raw VLC with a few carbs (30g-50g/day) coming from a bit of green plant material and/or tart or non sweet fruits is probably a sounder overall approach.

How would you propose to know that you are in ketonemia unless ketonuria is present at some level for you to measure?  Any peer reviewed studies you can point to that support your statement?

I don't think I've ever suggested this.  In fact, I believe that honey of any type is no better or worse than other refined sugars.  Just because bees did the refining doesn't make it any more fit for human consumption.  My carb source of choice would be wild tart fruits like berries, or nonsweet fruits like tomatoes and cucumbers, with the occasional small amount of green plant material thrown in for color.

If you've read anything at all about what I believe is the main contributor to kidney stone formation, then you should know it is reduced fluid intake causing urine with a very high specific gravity which is conducive to allowing minerals to precipitate out and form stones.  Like growing sugar or salt crystals in a super saturated solution. Low fluid intake seems to be present in almost all the cases I've been able to research.

Lex

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:22 am »
I admit, i am too lazy to go find what you wrote about. SO why did you add carbs back in your diet?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk