Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824250 times)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2008, 02:28:14 pm »
It's been a rough week.  Was at a seminar for 6 days and unfortunately meals were included and they were not paleo friendly.  Wasn't able to job for the 5 of the 6 days (jogged before I left on day one and that was the end of that) but just finished 3 miles this evening after returning home and was able to slog through it non-stop.

Meals were the pits.  The only meal that even came close was breakfast.  All the others were carb centric and there wasn't enough meat/fat content in them to bother with.  Most meals were an ounce or two of stuff like 95% fat free turkey loaf on a big fluffy bun with a tomato slice thin enough to see through and just enough lettuce to add a bit of color. 

I still only ate one meal per day but focused on breakfast as my best option.  This was always an open buffet with all you could eat scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage links, etc along with the biscuts and gravy, waffles, and other stuff.  Of course everything was cooked the max.  From what I could tell I ate about 6 - 8 scrambled eggs per day (often mixed with some cheese flavored stuff to pass it off as sort of an omelet - it was premixed, I had no choice), about 10 - 12 breakfast sausage links, and 7 - 8 pieces of bacon.  I usually smothered the eggs with additional butter.

The end result of eating like this for a week was not good.  I developed edema (swelling of my ankles to more than double their normal size with the skin so tight I could feel it stretching), as well as very lose stools.  I also gained eight pounds in the six days so my current weight is up to 169.  With the edema I'm sure that much of this is water retention.  Ketones dropped to a solid level 2.  I expect that this had to do with carbs in the cheesy stuff and the eggs.  Everything was extremely salty and this may also be a big contributor to the problems I'm experiencing.

Looking forward to getting back to normal routine and my regular food tomorrow, Monday.  I just logged on for the first time since I returned so I haven't yet read the posts that have accumulated since I left.  I'll try to get to them over the next couple of days.  As you can imagine, my e-mail box is stuffed filled to over flowing and I've got to sort through that as well.

Lex

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2008, 04:58:05 pm »
Oh wow, that sounds like hell. I hope everything returns to normal quickly.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline Daryl

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2008, 06:28:02 pm »
Hang in there, Lex.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2008, 07:13:34 pm »
Lex, I can not understand why you didn't organize this trip like you have been doing so; taking your own dried beef&fat...Did you think, that things would work out and that your body could handle that kind of food after so long not eating SAD?

So meat and fat was not in sight (no shop?) (perhaps 3x a day)...

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=367

Nicola

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2008, 11:02:39 pm »
 After such painful experience I think the next time you may consider a 5-6 days long water fast... I believe it would have been more beneficial should you chose to not eat at all...

Yuri
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2008, 01:31:07 am »
Wow, well I can honestly say in that situation I would probably have broke down and ate carbs and other garbage. At least you did your best.

xylothrill

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2008, 08:19:54 am »
Thanks for the update. Sorry you had to go through that but it's a glaring example of what cooked, non-Paleo foods can do to a body pristine for so long. According to the Drs. Eades, scrambled eggs are the worst foods to eat since they are exposed not only to heat but also more oxygen in the scrambling process - resulting in extremely oxidized cholesterol.

All is not lost. Andrew, I, and a few others have found that subsequent keto-adaptations are very short-lived. For me, it was a day and my body picked right back up where it'd left off. There seems to be some sort of keto "memory" involved.

Craig

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2008, 08:31:46 am »
I finally got things caught up and can put more attention to the journal.

Daryl, Welcome aboard.  Hope you find something useful here.  If you have specific questions I'll be glad to try to answer them.

Nicola, You are probably right, I should have done more preparation, however, the opportunity popped up unexpectedly and if I didn't take it the next opportunity for the same training could have been several years down the road.  I figure that, like everything else in life, stuff happens and we just have to adapt the best we can.  Our paleo ancestors were regularly faced with far worse situations.

Yuri,  I've done the fasting thing to the max - 31 days water only.  Learned my lesson and won't do that again.  It took me over 2 year to recover.  I do miss a day eating on occasion, but don't plan for it - I just get busy and absorbed in what I'm doing and forget to eat.  One rule I've made is not to eat anything after about 6pm.  That way I don't go to bed with a full stomach and I usually sleep better.  If I haven't eaten by then, then I don't eat at all that day.

Kyle, you can bet I thought about just eating what was there, but I felt that I'd put so much effort into where I am today, and there were some acceptable options so I chose to do the best possible in the situation.

Craig,  I'm totally bummed.  I love scrambled eggs.  I usually eat them once a month or so and make them using the lowest heat possible to set the eggs and very high in fat by using 1 tablespoon of butter for each egg.  They're just dripping with melted butter and Oh So Gooooooood!  Unfortunately, this past experience has shown that a steady diet of scrambled eggs leaves much to be desired.

Lex   

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2008, 09:00:49 am »
I've been back on my raw meat and fat only rations now for 4 or 5 days now.  My edema has subsided significantly but my ankles are still just a bit larger than normal.  With some luck they will return to normal over the next week or so.  My weight has also dropped by a pound or so per day and today I was at 164 - down from 169 on Sunday.  This makes me believe that most of my problem was water retention.  Just wonder what caused it.

I checked BG this morning and it was 76 which is very good.  Wish it would stay there all day.  Right now it is 98.

Heart rate upon arising has slowly declined to where it is now consistently around 60 bpm.  Before I raised the fat level to 80% It was at 56 bpm and it looks like I may return to that level over time.

BP seems to have stabilized over the long term and now varies in a narrow range between 90/60 and 110/70.  What surprises me most is that 5 minutes or so after jogging it has returned to this narrow range which to me is remarkable. 

Every health issue I've had has gone completely away except the prostate enlargement (BPH).  I'm glad to report that I'm making measurable progress here also.  In 2005 I was put on 4mg per day of Doxazosin (the only medication I take) which is an alpha-blocker that relaxes the muscles to allow easier urination.  I had hoped that a diet change would rapidly solve the problem but this was not the case.  In fact, I had pretty much given up on this and figured it was a permanent condition - possibly preventable with proper diet, but not curable once you've got it.

Well, there has been slow but measurable improvement.  When I started taking Doxazosin in 2005 I was getting up 4 to 5 times per night to urinate.  With the medication this was reduced to once per night between 2am and 3am and then in the morning between 6am and 7am.  Over time I've been able to reduce the medication from 4mg per day to 2mg per day and for the last week I've been taking only 1.3mg per day.  Night time bathroom visits have remained stable.  I'm very encouraged and as time progresses I may actually achieve my goal of being medication free.  When I reduce meds like this I stay at the new level for at least 3 months as there is some residual effect and I want to make sure that everything is stable before I make another change.  Will report on this occasionally when there is a change for the better (or worse) as time goes on but based on how long it's been to get this far reporting will be very sporadic.

Lex 

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:19 am »
Good to hear from you Lex!
I'm glad that you're recovering from the "Week of Horror"!
And I do hope you are able to get off the medication eventually!
But once again, compared to most Americans that are your age and even younger, one medication is nothing!   :)

Take care!

xylothrill

« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2008, 11:47:43 am »
Lex,

I'm glad to hear you're recovering! I don't think scrambled eggs once a month is going to kill you. Every morning maybe but don't be bummed. The stress of being bummed will probably be worse.

Every health issue I've had has gone completely away except the prostate enlargement (BPH).  I'm glad to report that I'm making measurable progress here also.  In 2005 I was put on 4mg per day of Doxazosin (the only medication I take) which is an alpha-blocker that relaxes the muscles to allow easier urination.  I had hoped that a diet change would rapidly solve the problem but this was not the case.  In fact, I had pretty much given up on this and figured it was a permanent condition - possibly preventable with proper diet, but not curable once you've got it.

Do you mean since going RAF or 80% fat? I'm pretty sure it's the former but just wanted it to be clearer for your fans.

Thanks for the updates!

Craig

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2008, 01:51:41 am »
Yes, since going RAF.  I expected rapid improvements and got them for the most part.  It seems that some things just take time and others won't improve much at all.  BPH has been very slow to show improvement but there clearly is some.  The question is whether I can drop the meds entirely or just reduce them - time will tell.   

Hair loss is another area where I think it could have been prevented by a proper diet but once the hair is gone for many years you just won't grow it back.

Lex

Offline Daryl

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2008, 06:29:08 am »

BP seems to have stabilized over the long term and now varies in a narrow range between 90/60 and 110/70.  What surprises me most is that 5 minutes or so after jogging it has returned to this narrow range which to me is remarkable. 

Thanks for the welcome, Lex. Your BP & heart rate numbers indicates that you have a very strong and healthy heart, good going on that  :)

Offline Elli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »

Though your body may have not fully adjusted to eating 80% fat so that you don't feel as good as you used to be on higher protein mix, your lab result is even better than it was previously which I believe is an indication that your body is healing even further. I can't imagine what will happen when the body actually adopts to burn fatty acids and ketones more efficiently over the course of time! Maybe you'll get even more energetic and fit that I'll see you in marathon competition in the next Olympics :D

I know you took up jogging because you wanted to fast track the adaptation period by depleting glucose from gluconeogenesis, not necessarily for athletic purpose. However, I'm very moved to see you improving your performance and most importantly, enjoying yourself as you go on. I'm learning a lot from your experiment and certainly motivated by your determintaion.

By the way, are you going back to your former mix when the experiment is over? It seems that men do handle higher protein diet better when it comes to body composition and possibly energy, but fat seems to be the least stressful macronutrient for the body. Keep us posted!

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2008, 11:18:04 pm »
Hi Elli,
Thanks for posting.  I'm not sure where I'm going after this.  If the higher fat works out well for me over time then I'll stay with it.  If I feel that I was doing better on the higher protein mix then I'll go back to that.  I'll be on the higher fat probably at least until the end of October and maybe until the end of the year before I make my decision of what to do next.  One thing I've learned, it takes the body a good bit of time to fully adapt to changes like this and I don't want to interrupt the process until the things I can measure are stable again.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2008, 12:12:54 am »
Here is the 10th week update on my fat ratio experiment.

68%F/32%P  80%F/20%P  80%F/20%P   80%F/20%P
                         Baseline          21 Days       42 Days       70 Days

BG Daily Avg           106              94              92                 87
BG Hi/Low Range   90/120         92/103        80/100           71/98
BG rise after meal      25              10               6                 12
Urine Ketones       0-Trace      SM/Lg        Trace/Mod         Large+
Resting Heart Rt        58             63              60                 59
Weight                   162            159            165               160
BMI                         21.4          21.0           21.8              21.1   
%Body Fat(calipers)   11.0         12.3           13.9               10.8
BP                       110/70        105/67        98/63            103/65

Average Daily BG has dropped a good bit to 87.  The daily BG high/low range has expanded from a 20 point swing 28 days ago (80/100) to a 27 point swing (71/98).  The good part (I hope) is that the over all numbers are lower. I hope this holds  I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that BG is staying in the mid 70’s range during the day until I eat my meal and then it usually rises into the high 80s but did reach 98 once.  The rise in BG after a meal dropped during the last period but has risen again and is now about 12 points or so, up from the previous 6. For the past couple of days my BG has been in the mid 70’s upon arising and surprisingly it has stayed there much of the day until I eat my meal in the late afternoon and then it rises into the mid to high 80’s.

Urine Ketones were previously running between level 1 and level 2 throughout the day.  Now they are maxed out at level 4+ throughout the day and have been at this level for most of the 4 week period.  Not sure what this means.  Average BG has dropped over the last 4 weeks but ketones have sky rocketed.  I now think it’s pretty clear that I’m not using them to any real extent to fuel muscle activity, especially since I don’t see a drop after jogging.

Resting heart rate has dropped slightly over the last 4 weeks from 60 to 59.  This may have been helped by the jogging I started several weeks ago.  BP is pretty stable.  The overall average this period was about 103/65.  It varies from 90/60 to 115/70 or so.

Weight was a real yo-yo this period.  I had a 6 day period where I was unable to eat my normal food and had to do my best on cafeteria fare.  I ate mostly breakfast foods – eggs, sausage, bacon, ham, and a little cheese.  I drenched everything in as much butter as possible to try to assure that the fat was very high.  The effect of the week was significant water retention to the point that my ankles swelled up to about 3 times their normal size.  They were so swollen that I could feel the skin stretching – very uncomfortable.  I’m glad to report that after a full week back on my normal diet of grass-fed beef, everything has returned to normal and I’ve even lost weight from last period down to 160 from 165.  Caliper measurements show that much of this weight was body fat which dropped from 13.91% to 10.8 this period which is a 3.1% decrease.  Could it be that I was losing body fat during the week that I was gaining water weight from the less than optimum diet?  Surely I couldn't have burned away 5 lbs of fat in 7 days, there just wasn't that much difference lifestyle to cause such reduction and much of the weight lost over the last week had to be water from the edema.  I guess the added activity of jogging must also be contributing to the overall reduction of weight and fat as this has been an increase of actvitity for about 3 weeks which could account for significant additional fat loss.

Original Caliper measurements were Chest 6mm, Abdomen 10mm, Thigh 11mm
Caliper measurements at 21 days    Chest 8mm, Abdomen 12mm, Thigh 11mm
Caliper measurements at 42 days    Chest 9mm, Abdomen 14mm, Thigh 13mm
Caliper measurements at 70 days    Chest 6mm, Abdomen 8mm, Thigh 12mm

As you can see things are still very dynamic. I was hoping that increasing my activity level by jogging would shake things up and it seems to have done just that.  It will be interesting to see where this goes. 

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »
I have been jogging in the evenings as it is much cooler - sometimes waiting until 10pm or so.  Up until now I've been doing 2 miles at a fairly slow pace of 10min/mile.  This is much slower than 25 years ago in my early 30s when I would do 10 miles every other day at a 6:30 pace.  I expect that there are several things at work here. 

First and probably most important is that I've gotten older my maximal heart rate has dropped.  If I remember correctly the formula is something like 200 minus your age.  I've attached a chart below showing how, as we age, our heart rate slows down and as such this affects the delivery of oxygen to the muscles and affects overall performance.  As you can see from the chart, in my 20s/30s my heart could beat at 190 to 200 bpm when I put in an all-out effort.  Now in my mid to late 50s were looking at the 160 bpm range.

Second is that my increased activity was re-started 3 weeks or so ago after about 20 years of much more sedentary behaviour.  Once new activity is started and is sustained long enough for the body to recognize that it is not a one time flight-or-fight activity, the body starts to do whatever is necessary to support the new activity level.  New capillaries are built to supply more blood to the muscles, more red blood cells are produced to carry more oxygen, & etc.  All this takes time.  As an example, it takes about 90 days from the time the body starts building additional blood cells for those cells to mature and enter the blood stream. 

Overall this means that once the increased activity starts, the body will start a "conditioning" process.  At first this process will be rather slow, and the perception will be that little or nothing is improving much.  However, at about the 90 day point things reach critical mass with a sudden increase in red blood cells now supported by increased capillaries and there seems to be an overnight jump in performance.

Since I started this new activity about the second week in July, the performance boost should happen about the second week in October.  Of course I've seen a lot of improvement in the last 4 weeks, however, things should really start perking at the 90 day point.  Most people become discouraged after a couple of months as they continue to struggle and often give up just days before things would significantly improve.

I've also started to have trouble with my left knee.  I injured it when I was about 12 years old and it has given me minor problems ever since.  In my 20s/30s I found that if I jogged every other day, it seemed to allow my knee to rest enough between jogs that it didn't cause any significant issues.  Based on this, I'm going to modify my jogging pattern to every other day but double the miles run per session to 4 miles.  This will keep total milage the same but give my knee 48 hours of rest between sessions.

The adventure continues,

Lex
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:26:32 pm by lex_rooker »

Satya

« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2008, 02:03:23 am »
Sluggish forum re posting.  I lost a post to Lex.  I will provide short version hoping for post.

Lex, try the Karvonen formula for your age and resting heart rate.  HRmax is 220-age.  Good for you doing alternate days with double mileage - prudent in light of knee issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Karvonen_method

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:18:53 am by Satya »

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2008, 03:00:48 am »
Lex, I know Charles is "only" in his 40is but he runs and thinks...

Pirie's Laws of Running:

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=367&page=21

Nicola

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2008, 12:49:09 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement Satya.  As I round the corner for that last mile it's the thought of not letting the group down that keeps me going.

Nicola, I read a good bit of Charles' journal and he is amazing.  Thanks for giving me the heads-up.  I'll be checking regularly to see where his path leads him.

Lex

xylothrill

« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2008, 01:05:43 pm »
Sluggish forum re posting.  I lost a post to Lex.  I will provide short version hoping for post.

Lex, try the Karvonen formula for your age and resting heart rate.  HRmax is 220-age.  Good for you doing alternate days with double mileage - prudent in light of knee issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Karvonen_method

I've repaired and optimized the database. Anything using the database should be fixed. There SHOULD be no more sluggishness, or database errors. Blue Host is very accommodating. I hadn't realized this was something I needed to check every so often.

Craig
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:26:15 pm by Craig »

xylothrill

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:29 pm »

Lex,

I might have mentioned this before but my ketones were always higher after exercise than before. What I think was happening was that the body ramps up their production but keeps it going some time after the exercise stops, leaving more to be excreted.
You may not be utilizing all of them since they are always high but I think you'll find that, as your body becomes more efficient, they will go down when inactive and increase when, or after, exercise because of a lag between the stopping of exercise and the production of the ketones. As you get even more adapted, you may show trace amounts when inactive and only slightly higher levels after activity. This has just been my experience.

This is the opposite of BG utilization because the body cannot produce enough glucose to keep up when the body is using glucose as its primary fuel. This is why you'll run out and hit the wall. I could be wrong but I would look more at your ketone levels before exercise as a marker of your progress in adapting and less at the post exercise levels for now.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Craig

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2008, 06:56:52 pm »

Lex,

I might have mentioned this before but my ketones were always higher after exercise than before. What I think was happening was that the body ramps up their production but keeps it going some time after the exercise stops, leaving more to be excreted.
You may not be utilizing all of them since they are always high but I think you'll find that, as your body becomes more efficient, they will go down when inactive and increase when, or after, exercise because of a lag between the stopping of exercise and the production of the ketones. As you get even more adapted, you may show trace amounts when inactive and only slightly higher levels after activity. This has just been my experience.

This is the opposite of BG utilization because the body cannot produce enough glucose to keep up when the body is using glucose as its primary fuel. This is why you'll run out and hit the wall. I could be wrong but I would look more at your ketone levels before exercise as a marker of your progress in adapting and less at the post exercise levels for now.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Craig

I find the opposite to be true for me. When I was keto adapting I always had moderate amounts. At that time I was inactive and tired. Now that I am fully adapted I will get negative to trace amounts during the day and when I exercise(I do not run, but will hike and fast pace walk for 10+ miles. my job is also very physical(landscaper)) When I first wake up in the morning is when I get moderate amounts. Since fully adapting it has been like this...moderate in the morning then negative to trace in the day and evening. My energy is always consistant as well.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2008, 11:57:56 pm »
Craig,
My take on ketones is similar to Kyle's.  In my case, I believe they are up because my body is not using them to any extent to support muscle activity.  Instead, I believe my body is breaking down body fat to get at the glycerol to create glucose to support the muscles and this creates an excess of FFA's in a ratio of 3 to 1.  The three unused fatty acids in the triglyceride molecule are then being converted to ketones so that they can be excreted via the urine and lungs while the glycerol molecule is being converted to glucose to fuel the muscles - hence ketones rise during periods of increased activity. 

Additional support for this comes from the fact that BG drops 5 to 10 points after exercise, so it is clear that I'm using BG during the activity.  The good news here is that BG stays down now for many hours after the activity (actually until I eat my next meal about 16 hours later) indicating to me that BG is not needed for my normal activities.  And with luck, possibly my body is transitioning to FFA's and/or Ketones.

Also, if I was using body fat to get at the FFA's or to produce ketones and my body wasn't using glucose to fuel the muscles, then BG should rise after exercise as the glycerol from the triglycerides would still be converted to glucose as usual, but not used for fuel.  In my case I think the opposite is happening - I'm using the glycerol and discarding the FFA's.

Like Kyle, I believe I should see a reduction in ketones after exercise if my body is using them as the primary fuel for muscle activity.  Ketones should also vary with activity level if muscles are using them - lower activity, higher ketone levels - higher activity, lower ketone levels.  In other words, ketones should vary in the same way that BG varies in a person using glucose as the primary fuel.

It is very clear to me that things are still very dynamic so my body is still adapting.  Only time will tell where this rabbit trail will lead.

Lex

xylothrill

« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2008, 01:05:44 am »
Maybe it happened to me because I'm considered "older" as in this study:

1. The effect of exercise on blood ketone body concentrations was studied in trained athletes and in sedentary subjects pedalling a bicycle ergometer. 2. Although the untrained subjects had higher heart rates and blood lactate concentrations at the same work load as the athletes, neither group developed ketonaemia even after intense or prolonged exercise. 3. Older subjects developed post-exercise ketonaemia, reaching maximum about 3 hr after exercise. 4. A high-carbohydrate diet before the exercise could prevent the onset of post-exercise ketonaemia and a low-carbohydrate diet enhanced it. The highest post-exercise blood ketone levels were recorded in marathon runners after a "glycogen-stripping' regimen. 5. Concentrations of free fatty acids, glucose, growth hormone and insulin in blood after exercise followed different patterns from that of ketones. 6. Post-exercise ketosis, when it occurs in untrained subjects, may be due to a lower carbohydrate intake than that of athletes.

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/reprint/301/1/79.pdf

Sometimes both can be true but since Lex is older than I am, I expect higher ketone levels after exercise as I experienced during adaptation.

There is also this:

The concentration of ketone bodies and their rate of transport (estimated with an infusion of beta-[14C]-hydroxybutyrate) were determined before, during, and after exercise in overnight-fasted and 3- to 5-day-fasted subjects who walked on a treadmill for 2 h at approximately 50% of their VO2max. In overnight-fasted subjects, exercise increased the rate of turnover (+125% after 2 h) and the metabolic clearance rate of ketone bodies whose concentration rose from 0.20 to 0.39 mM. Discontinuation of exercise was associated with a marked increase in ketone levels (+0.73 mM after 30 min of recovery) that was related to a further stimulation of ketogenesis (+19%) and to a marked drop of the metabolic clearance rate to below preexercise values. In sharp contrast with overnight-fasted subjects, starved subjects (with a resting ketone level averaging 5.7 mM) responded to work by a decrease in the turnover rate and in the concentration of ketones, their metabolic clearance rate remaining unchanged. Thus, the response of ketogenesis and muscular ketone uptake to exercise are both markedly influenced by the initial degree of fasting ketosis.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/245/4/E318

Craig
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:14:34 am by Craig »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk