Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824388 times)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #1525 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:32 am »
lol fruitloops anyone?

You don't seem like a very happy person lex, why is that?

Chris, Thoth - you haven't read his journal obviously. It's really worth the read. I'd highly suggest it.

The man seems to me to be very happy. He tinkers in his shop all day making things, being creative and does exactly what he wants rather than what others say he should. How many people get to do exactly what they most want to be doing and what makes them the most happy whenever they want? He keeps his diet simple so that he can do things that make him happy instead.  He also spends time with his family which he obviously cares for deeply. He does things for his community including the boyscouts, gets together with his extended family and invites people interested in his way of eating to come and spend time with him. My impression from reading his entire journal is that he is quite happy.

Lex - maybe we should take a picture with you smiling in your shop for your avatar? 

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 26, 2012, 02:57:38 am »

Chris, Thoth - you haven't read his journal obviously. It's really worth the read. I'd highly suggest it.

Thanks Dorothy, I plan on reading more regarding Lex in his Journal. Very interesting stuff.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1527 on: July 26, 2012, 05:05:27 am »
um thanks dorothy, think I'll stick with my own observations!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 26, 2012, 06:21:57 am »
Lex - maybe we should take a picture with you smiling in your shop for your avatar?
Heh, I already suggested that he put a smiley photo in his avatar, but he didn't go for it.

um thanks dorothy, think I'll stick with my own observations!
Your loss. Lex's posts are some of the best in this forum, always have been, and many open-minded folks have reported learning a lot from him.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:46 am »
Dorothy - Phil is right.  He suggested long ago that I replace my avatar with a more up-beat look.  What he never seemed to understand is that I am smiling!  What you see is what you get.  Thanks for coming to my defense but it really isn't necessary.  Those who are interested will delve into my journal and the many other resources on this forum and from that will make up their own minds which is as it should be.  It makes little difference to me what people think.  I just report what I'm doing and let them decide for themselves.  If they find my point of view wanting, so be it.  I'm far too busy to worry about it.

Chris - Glad that you found my information useful.  I tend to trade-off between pet food and primal beef from one order to the next.  I think you'll be happy with the primal beef.  I do suggest that you mix the primal beef with more of the regular ground meat or the high fat ground beef. The primal beef is just a little heavy in organ meats and I find I do better with the mix I'll describe below.   All of Slanker's products are a bit low in fat for my needs.  Their regular ground meat is 10%-12% fat(50-55% of calories from fat, their high fat ground beef is 16%-17% fat(60-65% of calories from fat), the pet food comes in at around 16% fat as well.  I know they say the high fat is 22% fat but I've measured it many times with a commercial fat analyzer and it always comes in between 16%-17%. 

This has to do with the way they calculate the fat.  To make it easy on the processing plant they just take 100 lbs of beef and add 20 lbs of fat by weight and call it about 22% fat as they assume the lean meat had some fat in it as well.  The reality is that raw fat is only about 85% fat - the rest being water and connective tissue.  You also have the fact that adding 20 lbs to 100 does not give you 20% because you now have more than 100 lbs total weight.

yes 20 lbsfat / 100 lbs total weight = 20%

but

20 lbs fat / 120 lbs total weight = 16.66% and this is what you have with slankers.

I need 70%-80% of calories from fat as I only eat meat so I add additional fat to my mix.  Here's how I mix my normal meals:

1 -2lb package of high fat ground meat (standard package size)
1 - 1 1/2 lb package of primal ground meat or pet food (standard package size)
1/2 lb of ground suet.

This gives me about 4 lbs total.  I divide this into 2 or 3 equal meals.  Since I'm 60 I don't need as much food as a younger person so I normally divide it into 3 meals which makes my normal meal about 575g/day and between 1,850 and 1,950 calories.  If I'm working hard like digging sprinkler trenches all day, then I'll divide by two and eat about 900g/day at about 3,000 calories.  If you are between 15 and 30 years old and active you will probably need at least 900g (2 lbs) of this mix per day and possibly 1350g (3 lbs) at 4,500 calories to keep your weight up.

Thoth - I encourage you to draw your own conclusions.  I expect nothing less.  It is the reason for my journal.  Rather than tell people what to do or what to think (in other words play guru), I present what I've done, along with my results, and let you add that to your own experince so that you can come to your own conclusions.

Phil - thanks for the kind words as usual.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 26, 2012, 08:40:16 am »
Got my ketone test strips yesterday.  Today I woke up and took a ketone reading.  It was 2.6 mmol/L.  I promptly went out and ran eight 100 yard wind sprints.  I then measured ketones again about 1/2 hour after exercise and they measured 1.8 mmol/L.  It seems my ketones tend to drop after exercise rather than rise.  This is the opposite of what Phinney and Volek suggest. 

Will require a bit more experimenting to make sure this single measurement isn't an anomaly.

Lex

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1531 on: July 26, 2012, 11:02:05 am »
Cool, I took my first look at ya' journal there Lex and it didn't take long to track things.

The only interaction I had with you was your being kind of snippy with me for some innocuous comment I made. I still don't think you're my definition of happy, but that is of no consequence.

I realized though, our paths to R(V)AF were somewhat similar with our ignorant docs and I saw some other congruence as I skimmed them, actually to a silly degree. Where we diverge is that you do not believe in 'new age' nonsense whereas I have experienced it to (along with being true by and large, at least the core 'doctrine') simply be recycling or refreshing of universal, natural law that is thousands of years old ie since the dawn of recorded history and probably earlier and, eg hermetic principles. And of course I think you're lacking in balance in your pure carnivory, I think it's super silly to think that your 'natural diet' as you put it is purely meat, actually beyond that, really quite absurd, but you've been at this for some time, so I'm sure you've got what you feel are very good reasons and I'm not here to try and change that.

Everbody else can relax if they like, Lex is a big boy and can look after himself, my saying something doesn't make it so, though strictly speaking I try to limit my communique's to truth. I find plenty of wisdom in Lex's posts, and never accused him of otherwise, I simply made a comment based on my observation and experience. I would say Lex is maybe baseline, but happiness is a positive attribute, not a neutral one. He might be satisfied, but that is not the same as the blissful state I'm talking about. Still, came off as cranky in the few posts of his that I've read and so I mentioned it.

That you guys come to his defense is noteworthy, wonder what that is about...a little guru action maybe?

"oh no, we just respect him a lot and so we have to guard his honor"

But he's happy remember? My words aren't going to phase him then.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:12:10 am by Thoth »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:23 am »
I shouldn't have interfered. Certainly I appreciate Lex that you need no defense.

Thoth - blissful is your definition of happy then? Oops. Can't say anything about that as I have met only a few people that were filled with bliss on a regular basis and none of them at this forum. 

For the record, I'm seriously into alternative therapies, don't eat at all like Lex and never will - I just have appreciated his experiments and the manner in which he has reported them and the comment that he was unhappy without any other context was incomprehensible to me.

Again, sorry for interfering.

Au Revoir

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:03 am »
Got my ketone test strips yesterday.  Today I woke up and took a ketone reading.  It was 2.6 mmol/L.  I promptly went out and ran eight 100 yard wind sprints.  I then measured ketones again about 1/2 hour after exercise and they measured 1.8 mmol/L.  It seems my ketones tend to drop after exercise rather than rise.  This is the opposite of what Phinney and Volek suggest. 

Will require a bit more experimenting to make sure this single measurement isn't an anomaly.

I'm not an expert in Phinney and Volek's work, but your observation made me think of P&V's discussion of the accuracy of urine test strips vs. serum (blood) ketone levels vs. breath analysis for acetone. I think what P&V say is that urine testing is the least responsive and accurate, blood testing is costly and slow, and breath analysis is more instantaneously accurate if you have the right kind of meter. So, I wonder whether the urine test can reflect a rapid change in serum ketones due to your activity, or does the delay from serum to urine account for your contrary results. Is 1/2 hour the right amount of time for the "exercise" ketone level to show up in the urine? Ignore my comment if it makes no sense - biology is not my strong suit.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »
Thoth,
I notice your Taoist leanings and respect them.  My library is filled with translations of Lao Tsu and Chuang Tsu, as well as works by  Merton, Watts, DT Suzuki and many others.  I've several rare translations that have taken me years to collect.

Sorry that I just can't get into the New Age mumbo jumbo.  I fell for that stuff years ago with Viktoris Kulvinskus "Life in the 21st Century" and other contemporary works of the time.  Today I see most of it as nonsense.

As far as snippy goes, I tell people bluntly what I believe.  Some take this as putting them down.  This is not the case.  What I believe is just that, it is a belief - that doesn't make it a correct belief.  I try to have supporting evidence for my belief system, but again, what I believe is no more correct than what others believe.  We each get to believe whatever we wish and we each will enjoy or suffer the consequences of our beliefs.

I've never stated that my diet or way of life is either "natural" or "balanced".  Only that it is working well for me at this time and meeting my needs.  The only thing natural that I insist on is that what I eat be available in nature and make sense (at least to me and my twisted way of thinking).  If I find that what I'm doing stops meeting my needs or creates some problem I assure you that I will make changes.  I'm about what works for me, not trying to achieve someone elses idea of what is natural and/or balanced.  Heaven knows our government's version of a "balanced diet" is a total disaster.

When it comes to happiness, I'm happy based on my definition of happiness which is more important to me than trying to meet your definition of happiness, whatever that may be.

Dorothy - I'm not scolding you.  Just want you to understand that I don't mind being criticised.  I read all posts and evaluate everything.  Sometimes the person making the comments is right and I find that I owe them a better explaination or possibly an apology.

As far as not eating the way that I do,  good for you.  The whole point of my journal is to give you information so that you can make up your own mind as to what you want to do.  The last thing I want is for people to blindly do what I do thinking it is somehow the right thing to do.  It might be and it might not.  I just know it is meeting my current needs and if what you are doing is meeting your needs then what more could you want?

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 26, 2012, 04:03:31 pm »
Eveheart,

The tests I'm making are serum blood ketone levels not urinary ketones.  P&V are correct about the expense.  Each ketone test strip is $5 USD.  (Normal BG test strips can be had for 25 to 50 cents each.)  Serum levels can be wildly different than urine levels.  I've had times when urine ketones only showed a trace but blood ketones were quite high at 3.8 mmol/L.

I find that blood ketones don't vary as wildly as blood glucose.  They might rise or fall 1 whole point over an hour's time where BG can fluctuate several hundred points in a matter of minutes.

Lex

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1536 on: July 26, 2012, 08:03:43 pm »
I didn't pull the 'natural' thing out of thin air, that was taken directly from one of your posts that was caught in my skimmings. You designated your chosen WOE as what you perceived to be a 'natural diet' for your species. Couldn't point out the post to you but it was in regard to your prey eating their natural diet as well.

And your comment to me wasn't telling it like it was, it was simply dismissing it when it was a valid point. Something to do with radiation or pesticides, can't remember exactly, but you snapped at me a little about it even though it seemed to me a natural, genuine and harmless question/comment. That is irrelevant, but one source of my perception about'cha.

Also I'm not Taoist or anything else, I only try to live inside natural law and or subvert them with higher laws, but one thing I do not try to do is violate them. I like some taoist ideas because it 'is' what 'is', and that is part of universal, natural law. Hermetics is closer to what 'is', though that is simply the human manifestation or record of these laws, not necessary for the apprehension of what 'is'. Raw foods would fit in to natural law too, and cooking your food would violate it. There may be a lot of goofy shit in the new age movement, but it is based on what 'is', at least in this dimension.

Dorothy, try not to be so sensitive, everyone on this forum get's a little touchy now and then, and you have to admit you attracted wodg's comment because you did sound a little high and mighty with your post on the aurora suspect. We're all really lucky to have like minded people to communicate with and noone wants you to leave (well maybe wodg did mean it, but who cares, that's just one person). Every now and then someone like wodg will make a comment that this forum is getting this way or that, but that is a single individual's perception. In scanning lex's posts beginning way back at the very first one and going for about 40 or 50, he himself commented that he might not post here anymore because of this or that complaint, guess that didn't happen even if he doesn't spend much time active here. It's still a great forum, a great teaching and learning platform, new people are signing up each week, always fresh blood along with the regs. In spite of squabbles here and there, at the core we can  all relate, both from the unique eating habits alone and also corollary common interests, and new ideas.

When people criticize you or your words, first look at them and see if there is really something to it, it is good to better one'self even at the expense of the ego and the comment was made for a reason. If you can be honest with yourself, and still find no problem with your words, then you can happily assume the other is just being over sensitive, defensive, paranoid or has some other issue going on in their life that has nothing to do with you.

All the best and have a wonderful day the both of you!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:13 pm »
I disagree with Lex in batching everything into a box and calling it new age mumbo jumbo and all holistic, natural and "other than modern medical treatments" as nonsense. He lost one friend to an herb and he had bad experiences with other diets and treatments whereas I lost a family to modern medicine and at present understand that documented preventable mistreatment of patients by the medical establishment is the third cause of death in the United States and I have had some truly miraculous experiences with alternative medicine and herbalism. There is no use what-so-ever in my mind debating the subject with a man that has enough determination, stubborness, willpower - whatever you want to call it - to eat nothing but the same thing every day and to me doing so would only detract from what Lex does have to offer.

I prefer not to divert Lex's journal Thoth as being someone who read through every post I found posts not on subject or him having to repeat his answers to simple questions over and over again not only detracting from learning about his interesting experiment, but to consume extra time and therefore annoying.

As far as your reference to another thread, please, if you would like to discuss that either post at that thread as to not detract from this journal or even better pm directly. I'd be more than happy to discuss the comments of a moderator to me in more detail - but not here. 

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1538 on: July 26, 2012, 11:03:14 pm »
Lol life is really amazing! As I'm talking about our silly level of congruence, we hit the same number of 1,062 posts at the same time! This post will fix that, but still, little weird wouldnt you say?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 27, 2012, 12:47:41 am »
Thoth,
Words like "natural" require context and definition.  This is what I attempted to do in my previous post.  Natural for me means that the food I eat would have been available in our normal environment without the use of technology beyond sticks and rocks.  Of course this definition fits plant foods as well as meat.  I have made a conscious choice to exclude plant based foods.  I make no claim that my personal choice is natural or even wise - only that what foods I do choose to eat are natural in the context that they would have been available throughout history to our species.  You get to make your own determination as to whether my specific choice to exclude most plant based foods is a wise one.

Dorothy,
Some discussions are a bit off topic and I'd prefer they not take place in my journal - especially when the discussion is unrelated to me or what I'm doing.  In this case, the discussion is not specific to my diet or experiments, but I think it is relevent in that it forces me to more clearly define my thinking and this helps people better understand where I'm coming from.

I've had many friends compromise their health, just as I did, by an unwavering belief in the Natural Hygiene and holistic movements.  On the other side of the coin, several of my health problems were caused by modern medicine so I have no love affair there either.  I expect that both approaches have their place.  I find that modern antibiotics are a blessing when I get a raging urinary tract infection that has the potential to destroy my kidneys and kill me.  Whereas a holistic approach may have the potential to avoid some of the problems in the first place - though I personally haven't found the holistic approach to be all that helpful.  I find the new age mumbo jumbo of crystal therapy, aroma therapy, colored light therapy, and all the rest to be total nonsense, but this is only my opinion.  You may have a different opinion and that is fine with me.

Lex

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1540 on: July 27, 2012, 01:20:29 am »
Sure, and I'm not arguing that meats aren't part of a humans natural diet, I'd go far enough as to say they are pretty well essential in that context of a 'natural' diet, with other animal foods like dairy being a distant second. But plants really have to be a part of the diet and that's why (IMO) that you are experiencing health problems in the first place, even though you live on nutrient dense meats, the other problem is that slankers feeds toxins to their animals, but that's probably not so bad by itself if you were consuming raw vegetation, since you do not, you suffer the effect of the cause, a hermetic principle and on several levels you have essentially attracted your problems. Again, like you said, doesn't matter who thinks what, it's whatever you are content with, I just like not having major health problems, and my diet of quasi instincto RVAF with SAD bits here and there seems to accomplish that. Of course at 25 I'm fairly young and if I continue with the sad stuff, will probably end up experiencing some nasties like you have since my family is prone to kidney problems. Fortunately for me, I'm ever-upping the percentage of raw vs. garbage in my diet and I am the healthiest person I know, bar none. I put up with some congestion from coffee, a bit of unrefined sugar (fruits, honey, carbs, starches) and pastuerized dairy, but they make up like 10% or less of my entire diet and diminish each week as I find it easier and easier to stick with what I know to be congruent with natural law.

GC for example has followed your lead in eating only meats and is going to kill himself pretty soon because he think's since that's what you're doing it should work for him too. Only problem is, a couple heart attacks later, he's still rendering his fat and completely abstains from toxin-flushing vegetation and is on the fast track to the grave. Congrats, that is of course his own personal responsibility, you just get the honor of having contributed to it, albeit unwhittingly...sort of.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 27, 2012, 02:37:33 am »
Dorothy,
Some discussions are a bit off topic and I'd prefer they not take place in my journal - especially when the discussion is unrelated to me or what I'm doing.  In this case, the discussion is not specific to my diet or experiments, but I think it is relevent in that it forces me to more clearly define my thinking and this helps people better understand where I'm coming from.

I've had many friends compromise their health, just as I did, by an unwavering belief in the Natural Hygiene and holistic movements.  On the other side of the coin, several of my health problems were caused by modern medicine so I have no love affair there either.  I expect that both approaches have their place.  I find that modern antibiotics are a blessing when I get a raging urinary tract infection that has the potential to destroy my kidneys and kill me.  Whereas a holistic approach may have the potential to avoid some of the problems in the first place - though I personally haven't found the holistic approach to be all that helpful.  I find the new age mumbo jumbo of crystal therapy, aroma therapy, colored light therapy, and all the rest to be total nonsense, but this is only my opinion.  You may have a different opinion and that is fine with me.

Lex

Being that this your journal Lex I want to respect your space here, as long as the topic is relevant to you, then I'm glad you are open to discussing it.

In many ways I think we are in agreement, that there can be benefit and harm and good from both a holistic and a "traditional" approach. The difference is that there is only one form of modern medicine and many different traditions, techniques and systems under the umbrella of "holistic" and lumping them all together is a little like lumping all diets together. In a very general way things like crystals, aroma therapy, colored lights etc. don't do much harm. They might stop someone from trying something else, but aren't going to do the same kind of harm generally as say, cutting out the wrong organ will. ;)  Also in a very general way it is my belief that holistic approaches do less harm. Herbs compared to prescriptions very rarely cause death or complications or even much in the way of side effects especially when given in the right dosage and form and even less if handled by someone with experience, whereas death by prescriptions is quite common when given by anMD in the right dosage. It is truly a question of discernment as to what approach is appropriate to an individual person with an individual problem.

Diet regimes are another matter entirely in my book. In a way, even though not the whole story by far, I am grateful to the likes of Kulvinskas for even suggesting that eating things raw can do some good because I never took his suggestions to their extreme. Is he responsible for the problems that you and your friends experienced delving into natural hygiene so long when it didn't work for you? I guess that is similar in a way to Thoth above talking about your experience eating nothing but Slankers and rendered meat is responsible for GCs heart attacks.

My personal view is that when one has an unswerving belief in any system of health or diet regardless of its effects on oneself or statistically - that is where the real problems can arise. That's why I respect your journal - because you are not suggesting to anyone else that what you are doing is right or good for them, just what you are doing for yourself and seems to be working for you.

You are a person with a specific medical history, sex, age, dna, lifestyle and personal goals and priorities. What you do won't work for me, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect your journey and your willingness to share it. What Kulvinskas said to do didn't work for me either (all sprouts - eck) but I still respect that he tried something new and made a suggestion of a different approach. I also happen to enjoy using crystals, oils and flower essences, homeopathy, herbalism, and a host of other "alternative" interests - I just make sure to evaluate them honestly and use them in a way that is beneficial for me and exclude any use that is not immediately beneficial.

I like how you say that the moment your diet doesn't work for you anymore according to your own criteria that you will change it. I feel the same way about all approaches to health too. To me it is all a question of taking personal responsibility. The moment one gives up their own will and ability to discern to a diet guru, doctor or shaman or whatever is when they open themselves up to becoming a victim.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:09 am »
Very nicely put Dorothy.   And by the way, what Kulvinskas preached didn't work for Kulvinskas either.  I spent a couple of years trying to achieve the utopia that he described only to find out that he wasn't following his own teachings.  This lead me to do a good bit of research on the various gurus that I held in high esteem and what I discovered was that many didn't follow their own teachings, and of those that did, a large percentage were in very poor health.  There were a few that lived into their 90's (Bragg and Walker come to mind), but by in large, most died rather early in their 50's and 60's and those that I had an opportunity to meet were rather frail.

Lex

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1543 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:43 am »
Whoah there,  I didn't say it was responsible for GC's heart attacks, I said he's had some, and now he's going to drive the nail in the coffin, that is all. He would benefit immensely from veggies, but thinks that for whatever reason, since this is what you do, somehow it's going to work for him, even though is circumstances are markedly different, and the only cultures in history who don't eat plants are those who do so by necessity because of environment. Again, gc's responsibility for his actions fall squarely on his own head, but anyone who tells you that you have not contributed to the decision is lying, because he's said so himself.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 27, 2012, 09:32:36 am »
Lex, is this the Bragg you're referring to?
Until he died at a claimed age of 95, but believed to be actually 81, he claimed that every human being could live to 120 by following his regimen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bragg
Looks like Bragg was one of the few people to lie about his age by increasing it instead of decreasing it. 81 is still impressive, though not the 120 that he claimed. I laugh whenever I see anyone who hasn't reached an age claim that they will and that anyone can by following their prescriptions. They would be more convincing if they reached the age first, and then told people how they did it, like nice this elder gentleman:
Mesa man, 110, credits health to 5 foods

One thing I like about Lex is that he is more an anti-guru than just about anyone I've ever encountered. In his journal and elsewhere he frequently cautions that he's not advocating that anyone do what he's doing and doesn't tell people to eat this or that. He even suggests that most people might fare better by eating more fruits and veggies than he does. He just reports his experience and occasionally and cautiously discusses what he thinks might be generally healthy foods and such.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:43:38 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1545 on: July 27, 2012, 09:35:21 am »
Fair enough, I'll have to point that out to our mutual acquaintance, thanks Phil.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 27, 2012, 09:48:51 am »
Cool.

I should mention that Bernando does eat some fish, which they rarely mention in the news stories (flesh foods are not politically correct with the libtards). Here are the foods I've seen Bernando report eating (mostly raw):

The 5 foods he claims are the secret to his health:
garlic
honey
cinnamon
chocolate
olive oil

Other foods he has reported eating:
fish--salmon, tuna (about 4 oz., three times a week)
soaked grains and beans
maybe lamb? (he said his father said it was OK)

Notice that he eats honey and chocolate--sugary foods that some dogmatic low carbers claim are pure poison. Notice also that his diet is nearly raw Paleo.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:58:02 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 27, 2012, 10:35:32 am »
But plants really have to be a part of the diet and that's why (IMO) that you are experiencing health problems in the first place, even though you live on nutrient dense meats,…

Interesting statement considering that when I was eating a plant based diet I had far worse health problems.  In fact, all the problems I have started when I was eating a diet heavy in raw plant materials including raw juices.  Most problems, but not all, have gone away or gotten significantly better since I started eating a meat and fat based diet.  Two issues that haven’t responded well to diet is hair loss (my hair didn’t grow back when I changed my diet, and my enlarged prostate didn’t magically shrink back to normal size.  Other than that, things are far better and I have annual lab tests to support this.

… the other problem is that slankers feeds toxins to their animals, but that's probably not so bad by itself if you were consuming raw vegetation, since you do not, you suffer the effect of the cause, a hermetic principle and on several levels you have essentially attracted your problems.

I’ve been to the Slanker ranch and to my knowledge they do not feed their animals toxins.  They do treat animals when they are sick, but do not give meds to healthy animals.  The animals are pastured on grass only and are not given commercial supplements.

Again, like you said, doesn't matter who thinks what, it's whatever you are content with, I just like not having major health problems, and my diet of quasi instincto RVAF with SAD bits here and there seems to accomplish that. Of course at 25 I'm fairly young and if I continue with the sad stuff, will probably end up experiencing some nasties like you have since my family is prone to kidney problems. Fortunately for me, I'm ever-upping the percentage of raw vs. garbage in my diet and I am the healthiest person I know, bar none. I put up with some congestion from coffee, a bit of unrefined sugar (fruits, honey, carbs, starches) and pastuerized dairy, but they make up like 10% or less of my entire diet and diminish each week as I find it easier and easier to stick with what I know to be congruent with natural law.

I did have a single bout of kidney stones but can’t tell you if they were caused by my meat diet or were a residual from my plant based diet or were just due to low fluid intake.  I upped my fluid intake and have not had a recurrence.  My son-in-law is a heavy raw plant and fruit eater along with meat and is constantly suffering from kidney stones and gout. Go figure.

At 25 you are very young. Enjoy it while you can as it is mostly a slow slide downhill from there.  When I was your age I could eat anything I wanted, and as much as I wanted without problem.  I ran 10 miles at a 6:00 to 6:30 pace every other day.  I rode a bicycle 23 miles each way to work and back 5 days a week.  I assure you that I thought that my dietary and lifestyle choices were perfect and urged others to follow my lead.

I’m now 61 and things are very different.  Age and some of my lifestyle choices (which weren’t as perfect as I thought they were) have taken their toll as they will with you. This too, is a natural law and you can’t avoid it.  No matter what you eat, or what exercise you do, age will slowly take its toll. I can no longer do what I used to do at the level that I could when I was in my 20’s and 30’s, but I’m in far better shape than most people my age.  It will be interesting to see where you are when you are 60.

GC for example has followed your lead in eating only meats and is going to kill himself pretty soon because he think's since that's what you're doing it should work for him too. Only problem is, a couple heart attacks later, he's still rendering his fat and completely abstains from toxin-flushing vegetation and is on the fast track to the grave. Congrats, that is of course his own personal responsibility, you just get the honor of having contributed to it, albeit unwhittingly...sort of.

Isn't it annoying when, at 25, you’ve figured out the road to perfect health and no one will listen to you?  So, how would you respond if GC did exactly as YOU prescribe and his health continued to decline?  There is a strong possibility that this would be the case.  When I was your age I made the presumption that my diet was perfect and urged others that where having health problems to follow my lead.  In almost every case where the person did as I suggested, my recommendations had little effect and in some cases made things much worse.  You presume to know what is wrong with CG and how to fix it.  Over the years I’ve learned that I know very little about other people’s problems and even less about what they should do about them.  The best I can do is tell my own story and let others make their own decisions.  They will make wrong decisions just as I made wrong decisions, and you too, will find that many of your current ideas will not pass the test of time.

Lex
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:44:10 am by lex_rooker »

CitrusHigh

« Reply #1548 on: July 27, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
Absolutely Lex, as I said in an above post it's whatever you're content with, only that your diet is not fully natural in the context that you yourself used the term earlier.

Slankers feeds their animals toxins in the form of X-icides sprayed on their pasture, and I do believe that was the comment I made to you that you dismissed out of hand in what seemed to me an unnecessarily rude tone since I made the comment in a neutral fashion.

I don't know that I have the perfect diet, but I do know that there is no one that I know in person that is as healthy as I am. All I hear about is how sick everyone around me feels, even though I'm plugged in with tons of conscious eaters, people into raw foods of every shade and flavor (I'm excluding people here on this forum, I won't pretend to know how healthy people I have no direct 3D contact with are, and I'm sure there are people healthier and more robust than I here, though not necessarily as content with life), people who meditate, or live on supplements, or do yoga and this, that and the other.

I also know that I pretty well make my world, something most people don't seem to get at my age, or even older. Call it law of attraction or whatever you, but I know that I control my reality in a big way.

It should also be noted that I came to this way of eating at a young age of 20ish give or take a year. I didn't have a guru, I didn't have a mentor, nor did I have a single person in my life who I knew to eat this way, I was unaware of this forum and I basically went it alone. All I did was read a few paragraphs on the web, I think on Karl Loren's site, and it made so much sense and was so intuitively right that a couple weeks  after my initial exposure to the idea I dove in. And it's been a nonstop learn-athon ever since.  None of this is to boast, but if you're going to allude to the idea that I've naively 'figured it all out' in the sense that most young people think they know it all, this is to balance that notion. It has nothing to do with me being special, only that I was desperate for an answer, and was literally crying out to god for a cure to my health problems at the time. I'm eating pretty close to the way you are, so if you think that is working for you, imagine how much better it will work for someone who has started at such a young age. I was very sickly as a child, lots of colds, flus, stomach aches, then later terrible infections mostly above the shoulders, fatigue, depression, etc. Now I haven't been to the doctor or dentist in 5 yrs, I'm stronger, healthier and happier than I've ever been in my life and I have the signs to show for it, teeth remineralizing, shiny hair, supple skin and of course, plenty of energy work here on the farm and a couple other 'jobs'. The only difference is that I'm honoring the fact that plants are a natural part of most human diets.

So am I naive to think that I may have come upon something really special in my approach to eating, which is essentially the same as yours: Do what works for you, mostly raw organs and fat, and for me, raw plants as well, in greater or lesser quantities as my instincts and body tell me? Possibly, but I don't think so, if I am, it shouldn't take much longer for it to become apparent. (I just remembered I had a dream I was balding last night, relieving to find I still have a full head of hair!!)

I'm half with you on the containers and artifacts of the new age movement, the crystals, aromatherapy, etc. They may help someone to anchor and/or focus their beliefs in the possibility of healing or whatever their aim is, but it is the belief itself IMO that is doing the healing/etc., and eventually these kinds of things turn in to distractions and traps, when the abundance of energy in the universe is at your disposal if you'll only reach out and grab it with your thoughts, beliefs and actions, no crystals et al. needed.

We can end this discussion and get back to your regularly scheduled programming if you like, I've grown weary of this and it sounds like we are agreeing more than disagreeing anyway, I appreciate your time, presence and responses!

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 27, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »
Life is a journey, we all have different paths. Some cross and some don't. It's the same thing with idea's, thoughts, and theory's. Everybody will react to different situations in different ways. I respect people like you Lex that put yourself out there for the World to see. You have every right, just like each and every one of us to voice his/her own opinions regarding any subject or topic we choose. No matter what anyone thinks. We all have little things each and every one of us can contribute to the world, or to this website. What some people fail to realize on this website (and others), is there are so many different roads and path's in the RPD. Some of us are more traditionalists while other's are much more loose in their interpretations. When I posted about the dog food. To be honest I was curious, and wanted to know more about it. I wanted to get more organ meats, marrow, and other nutritious fats into my diet. But, I was also open minded too. Maybe that's a trait that is slowly fading? Well, I'm glad I reached out, and I'm glad you decided to share some of your knowledge with me. Thank you again! Maybe the dog food is a little too much of a step for me at this stage. But, I learned about the "Primal Beef" package.  You know something, that was exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate you sharing that information with me. I took your information, and applied it to my own program to enhance it. I think we can learn so much from each other on this website, through our diets, choices, and experiences. I really enjoy being on this website, there are a lot of free thinkers here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk