Author Topic: Need Ideas for Shaving Cream Please  (Read 19131 times)

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Need Ideas for Shaving Cream Please
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:37:27 am »
Sorry if this has been discussed...

One of the biggest rip-offs around me is natural deodorants, toothpastes, and shaving creams from health food stores. I am looking for alternatives.

Shaving cream from the store is filled with chemicals. What do you guys use? I have tried coconut oil and it was a mediocre shave. I am open to any suggestions.

I need a cheap alternative to deodorants as well. I really don't care for the suggestions in Aajonus's books. Rubbing lemons on my pits is not very practical.

Right now, I am making a very effective toothpaste. It literally coasts me a few dollars for a years supply. If anyone is interested I will elaborate. My teeth are super clean and have minimal ingredients and no sugar like store bought toothpaste. (Yes Toothpastes often have sugar in them if you did not know.)

Thanks,

Dan

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Need Ideas for Shaving Cream Please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:11:45 am »
OK, you're trying to post in the right places and you would have bashed me apart by now if you were a troll or lecturer, so I apologize for suspecting you and not cutting you more slack, Dan.

BTW, I didn't mean that you should have to post everything in the Primal Diet forum, just topics related to that.

Coincidentally, I've been looking for a good shaving cream type thing too. I noticed that even the natural foams have some questionable stuff in it. I bought a lotion type, but it's no better than regular skin lotion, which results in a sliced up face or neck for me. I'll let you know if I come across anything good.

--Pierre von Douche
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:15:24 am »
no need to appologize, I should say the same as well...

I am doing research on shaving creams. I will let everyone know when I find something that works.

Problem for me is a I grow a beard within 3 days of shaving.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »
I use a product called "trust" deodorant which you put on the hair under the arms before going to bed and wipe off in the morning. The stuff kills off all the bacteria so that the deodorising effect lasts 3 to 6 days after its use. It's mostly herbal-based but also contains dodgy stuff such as petroleum jelly as well.

No idea re shaving cream but I've heard baking soda is supposed to be good re toothpaste(I use tea-tree oil(non-fluoridised) toothpaste, myself).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 05:56:54 pm »
Deodorant: I haven't used any for years since following the raw diet (AV's primal diet for 1st 2 years then raw paleo for last 6 years or so).  I simply find that I have no need for it.  I don't know how long you've been on the diet Dan but perhaps, like many others, this will eventually be your experience too.  If one does get a sweaty smell occasionally from exercise etc it's normally not at all offensive.  In fact, it's been shown by research to be very appealing to the opposite sex!!!  ;D  If you find that you need to use something, I have found on occasion that those re-useable mineral stones are very effective and last forever!  Simply run under the tap and wipe under your arms like a normal roll-on.

Toothpaste: I, too, make my own very effective toothpaste using - bicarbonate of soda, celtic sea salt, virgin coconut oil, peppermint oil.  Highly recommended!

Shaving foam: Again, I have no need for it.  I've been shaving for years without any form of soaps, foams, aftershaves etc.  I found that once I stopped using all that junk and improved my skin through a healthy, high-fat raw diet that I didn't need anything except water.  If the beard gets too long between shaves then just use an electric to remove the worst and then wet shave the stubble!
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:09:59 pm »
I used to just shave with hot water after razors finally started becoming sharper. Trouble was that I found myself spending a fortune on very high-quality razors as the cheaper 1-bladed ones don't work on my very rough skin and cut me all the time, and the high quality ones would wear out very quickly indeed without using foam. So I have to use shaving foam, to avoid such issues.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:23:45 pm »
I use an electric shaver.  I don't need any shaving cream.

I use calamansi / lemon in my armpits as insurance when I go to meetings.  I don't rub the calamansi, I just press some of the juice on my fingers and dab it on.

Please share your toothpaste recipe.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:45 pm »
If you find that you need to use something, I have found on occasion that those re-useable mineral stones are very effective and last forever!  Simply run under the tap and wipe under your arms like a normal roll-on.

I use the same but in the spray they have as the stone didn't work as good for me. It's just a simple suspension of mineral salts in water. Works fantastic even under very heavy exercise and doesn't ever dry my skin out of leave residue like conventional deodorants. I've been using it for maybe 3 years now without a single problem. :)

I shave in the shower using a bit of soap to lather up.

I brush my teeth with water and a stiff brush.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 02:34:45 am »
Did men shave their faces in paleolithic times?  Did beard hair grow?  Did the hairs have shorter growth cycles?  Would they have trimmed it with a sharp rock?

The best shave I know of, you take pieces of fresh mature hard coconut meat.  Juice it.  Use the so called juice as shaving cream, it works like a charm!  You will wonder why they ever invented commercial shaving cream.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:45 am »
From the above, maybe you could mix it up from powdered coconut?

I just use a trimmer now cause i'm cool with stubble. When I was wet shaving, a single blade razor made it enjoyable.

I don't use deodorant...just essential oils sometimes.

Experimenting with tooth cleaning...sometimes I just use salt to brush and then aniseed or something to freshen my mouth. Not perfect though.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:22 am »
I used tallow a couple of times for shaving. Benefits-less razor burn than the shaving lotion I usually use. I shaved my chest once with it, and although I usually get razor burn on my stomach I didn't with the tallow. Problem-clogs up the drain.

I use baking soda for deodorant. It doesn't last as long as modern stuff, but it's safe and cheap as hell. I use an "all natural" toothpaste that is some kind of ayurvedic formula. I might try making my own after this tube runs out.

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 05:37:27 am »
I just want to state one thing before this thread continues. I often hear natural or raw food-ers say things like, "hey the diet is will prevent bad breath or body odor, you don't have to worry!"

I agree (somewhat). Yes, I think you have far less problem odors when on a raw diet, but I think taking your body to a higher level of freshness is still desirable. I wear dress clothes to work, I am almost always active, and am in close contact with a lot of woman each day. I want to smell good and feel clean. I also don't want to put chemicals on my body.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. I will post my toothpaste recipe on a new thread.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:20 am »
Did men shave their faces in paleolithic times?  Did beard hair grow?  Did the hairs have shorter growth cycles?  Would they have trimmed it with a sharp rock?
See:

The Shaving Historical Timeline
http://www.quikshave.com/timeline.htm

Keep in mind that the men of some backgrounds (Africans, Central and East Asians and Native Americans) don't tend to grow much in the way of beards--at least not as much as Europeans, Mediterraneans and Western Asians--but there is wide variation even within these groupings.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:37:50 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 04:21:38 pm »
I was under the impression that Africans can indeed grow full beards. At least I've seen many bearded Ethiopians etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »
Yes, some can, which is why I said there is wide variation within those groupings. For example, some North Africans and West Africans can grow some pretty impressive beards, whereas I think the Bushmen don't grow any, and some Africans and people of African descent are in-between, with tiny or scraggly beards--but I'm not exactly expert on beards, so feel free to correct me if I err.

A complicating factor is the effect of diet. For example, vegetarian diets tend to inhibit hair growth in some people (my chest hair didn't grow hardly at all until I severely cut back on the plant foods in my diet, for example), so diet and other factors can add to the variations within groups.

On the other hand, the most impressive beards I can think of are the beards of the Persians in ancient times, and I'm pretty sure they ate plentiful grains and other plant foods, so one's inheritance seems to be the biggest factor in beards.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:53:34 pm by PaleoPhil »

William

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 09:48:49 pm »
See:

The Shaving Historical Timeline
http://www.quikshave.com/timeline.htm

What the article does not mention is that probably the most important reason for shaving was that they were otherwise too lousy.
Lice infestations make people itch and scratch, to this day women nag men who scratch.

My guess is that paleoman never had lice, so never needed to shave.
Based on the experience of pet-owners who moved out of the city to a wild place; their pets lost all the fleas. Permanently.

It might be diet, because the cats could catch chipmunks so get a natural food source. Might be some other environmental factor.

Offline nero

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »
I've found that since I bought a non-fogging mirror to hang in the shower stall, all I need is the soap (of whatever kind) that is on my face.  No muss, no fuss.  Nothing extra to add to the post-shower regimen.  Just a suggestion.

nero
_____

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 11:42:09 pm »
what about olive oils and animal fat?
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 01:09:46 am »
I switched the shaving cream with butter but it's not as quick. With butter, my skin gets a more soft.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 01:20:38 am »
I more or less adjusted to just a blade awhile back, unfortunately many brands have a lubricator strip which is probably similar in makeup to commercial creams. I ended up getting the cheapest razors that lack the strip, and consequently I occasionally get little nicks or razor burn particular if I don't replace them very often.

haven't tried butter, i'll give it a go.

I think some kind of electric razor/trimming is the best bet health wise. I like a clean shaven face though.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 03:46:20 am »
Idea for face shaving cream (obviously I can't test this cause I am a girl but I am sure this will work well)...
Make mayonnaise in a blender...
I don't remember the exact recipe I used but its something like this:
- blend 2 eggs with juice of some lemon or ACV (it needs an acidic liquid)
- then while blending on lowest level very SLOWLY pour in about a cup of olive oil (or your other oil of choice or a mix of any oils)

This makes a nice fluffy and oily mayonnaise that looks and feels like hood shaving cream, plus you can eat some home-made raw mayonnaise, maybe use it in a salad too once in a while  :P

Offline jaktron

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:41:26 am »
i use coconut oil to shave with, it works a charm.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 05:18:48 am »
i use coconut oil to shave with, it works a charm.

For me, coconut oil makes my face soft, and my GF loves how it smells. However, it does not get rid of my razor burn. My hair is just too thick.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 04:29:05 am »
I'm also in search of a natural shaving cream. I bought a straight razor that uses disposable blades. The straight razor produces way less burn than any safety razor I've used. The downside - take a lot longer to shave and you can cut yourself. I found that coconut oil doesn't soften the beard enough for a comfortable shave. I'll give tallow a shot next.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 05:52:20 am »
Blend 2 Avocado Mix it with 2 Eggs put some honey into it and go go go !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk