Author Topic: What do you do when Organic is unavailable ?  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
What do you do when Organic is unavailable ?
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:46:29 am »
There are certain things that I love that I cannot get organic or the prices just don't justify the purchase for me. For example, blueberries are my favorite fruit and I can almost never get them organic (or the price is just insane).

Then it leads to the dilemma of is it okay to ever eat conventional? If so where do you draw the line? I think you all might understand where I am getting at.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: What do you do when Organic is unavailable ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:59:54 am »
With meat I always eat organic or wild.
It has never happened that I run out.

Fruits same thing, I get organic or wild crafted.
It has never happened that I run out.

Or not happened that I crave for something that is not available organic.

Nice question, just can't think of a staple food that is not organic.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:10:03 am »
perhaps try fruits like bananas, watermelon etc that have a covering so minimize exposure to chemicals. I don't do well eating the skins of fruit anyway even the edible ones like berries or apples.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:30:48 am »
There are lists online and in magazines you can find easily compiling the produce that is better to eat non-organic (little or no pesticides used) and the stuff you should avoid non-organic if you are concerned with pesticides. Like invisible said, things with thicker skins that aren't eaten tend to have less sprayed pesticides and less gets through to the inner fruit. Berries are the worst non-organic, as well as greens like lettuce and spinach.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:43 pm »
My stance is to avoid eating commercially-raised meats like the plague, however raw they may be. If I'm convinced, re info,  that a particular meat is of high-quality/grassfed(even if it's not officially organic) I'll use it as I know of plenty of small-time farmers who can't afford to switch to official organic status but who simply don't have the money to spend on expensive things like chemicals, vaccines or grains and just leave their animals out to feed on grass.

As regards fruit, I will go for organic fruit(or high quality nonorganic fruit) normally but, unfortunately, I can only get it every 2 weeks from a farmers' market so either I travel to the nearest Waitrose supermarket(the only one which regularly stores quite cheap organic berries and other fruits) or I get hold of rather low-quality organic fruit right next door from the corner shop. I'll also occasionally get hold of wild berries but this is rare as opportunities to visit really wild countryside are few.

Veg I only buy from farmers' markets or from wild sources as I so rarely require it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk