Author Topic: Ramblings of a madman...  (Read 107712 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Ramblings of a madman...
« Reply #300 on: May 11, 2018, 10:07:37 am »
I guess 18+ months between posts is a bit excessive. :)

Living life. Eating at least one meal a day raw and truthfully more often than not the second meal is. Just having a hard time sticking to 100% raw. When overloaded with stress from work or life I find myself reaching to more readily available calories like dairy or carbs. Since I have so many allergens this starts a cycle of cravings it takes time to work out of.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the far flung corners of the internet the past few years and have found an interesting kinship with many of the folks out there who have moderate to severe corn allergies. The prevalence of it in (and on) so much we consume is frightening. For example most meat processed in the US is cleaned/wiped down with a corn based vinegar and the soaker pads in the wrapped packages are soaked with corn derived citric acid. Ghosting groups who deal with these issues on a daily basis has given me a lot of insight which helps refine my daily approaches.

For those looking for a input on diet I'm eating two meals, one at 12ish, one at 6ish. 1/3 pound (150 grams) of a moderately fatty grass fed/finished ground beef and up to 1/6 pound (75 grams) beef suet fat. A couple dashes of Redmond's Real Salt as well. Most waters have corn additives in the form of salts or are in corn based plastics. I drink a gallon of water a day from the Poland Spring opaque gallon jugs (like milk jugs). Trying to figure out a way to use a more morally responsible water source but so far none are working for me including my tap. Also drinking a couple cups of coffee a day which I can tell my body does not like but it addresses the constant sleep deficit I run.
Light to moderate exercise at this time. If this goes up I'll probably need to bump the meals to 1/2 pound servings.
Currently overweight at 215ish pounds due to the coffee and the infrequent cooked meals both of which are leading to water retention. Cut both out for a couple months and dropped down below 200 but went back to the coffee when work picked up. For reference fighting weight is 185ish.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:30 am »
And 20 months is even more excessive. :)

Been nursing a flare up of Gout in my foot the last week and thinking about getting all of my shit together as this is really painful. Currently 245 pounds with limited activity to work any of that off. I've eating 1-2 of my 2 meals per day raw zero carb but the meals which haven't been are not great choices. Most are at the far limits of cooked paleo but just barely.

I felt like I needed motivation to refocus my willpower. Spent a couple hours re-reading this journal remembering just how great I can feel living deliberately. I miss a lot of the old faces although it looks like many are no longer around.

I've been eating purely raw paleo the last 6 days. Also knocking back a ton of water to clear out uric acid. As soon as this foot can bear weight again it's back to the gym. Let's see just how powerful this way of eating can be with laser focus and a foot in my ass.  8)
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2020, 12:40:21 am »
Time for another update. Not nearly as encouraging this time.

I had been struggling with the pain in my feet all of January right up to 2/10. I did try to clean up my diet to strictly zero carb raw paleo (grassfed ground beef and suet fat). I was in constant pain and nursing myself along with NSAIDS (Aleve), icing, and cream for gout. Not having insurance all of this was self diagnosed and addressed the best I could (really regret not going to a doctor sooner). The week before 2/10 was particularly busy and I got very little sleep, lots of coffee, lots of stress, just a perfect storm to crash my system. I spent the weekend fasting and then trying a couple other foods to see if something would help (squash, dandelion greens, beets).

I had what I believe was an acute reaction to histamines on February 10th. I hadn't had any of my meat since Thursday. I had a small meal the morning of the 10th and had all the hallmarks of food poisoning. Cold sweats, racing heart, nausea, disorientation. A number of the signs of an anaphylactic reaction. I felt miserable and had no idea why. After a lot of testing I've had a really good allergist diagnose it as a Mast Cell Activation issue. I haven't been able to eat my grassfed beef (or suet) without a flare and subsequent joint pain in my feet and ankles.

I've been trying to find other safe foods but I've basically been living on a dozen hard boiled eggs every day for the last two months. I think I pushed myself way to hard for way too long and the stress of that as well as dietary indiscretions and 6 weeks of NSAIDS may have wiped out my gut bacteria. A lot of the good bacteria help break down histamine as does DAO in the gut. If my intestinal lining is leaky right now it would explain the extra sensitivity. I'm working my way to try and heal up my guy and repopulate with good bacteria. Hoping the sensitivity lowers as things are healed. I'd love nothing more than to get back to eating raw paleo but it is definitely not working for me right now.

The other really difficult thing that has shown up with all of this is a severely heightened sensitivity to smells. This was slowly building before the acute episode (since at least November) but didn't present as a problem until this whole crash. Now different chemical or strong natural scents can give me trouble breathing, coughing, headaches, sore throat, brain fog, etc. It's not as bad as what I've read some others with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities deal with but it's still really difficult. I'm actually living with my parents right now as I can't deal with the smells at home. We have a dog who is mostly housebroken but did enough damage over the years that I can't tolerate home right now. We pulled all the carpet and OSB subfloor out already. We have an enzyme spray coming this weekend to try and get a handle on it. It's a real pain as I need to carefully research everything to avoid possible scent triggers.

Now looking for insight from the group.
Plan to use "Restore" which is a humic acid solution to help heal the gut lining as well as "Gut Pro" probiotics. Also thinking about using slippery elm to help feed things as a pre-biotic (dried me out some each time I took it but may be worth the discomfort). I have marshmallow root as well as may trial that. I also have N-Acetyl Cysteine to help build Glutathione. Any other recommendations?

As far as the chemical sensitivity I've picked up a copy of a Dynamic Neural Retraining Program. This may help based upon the concept that the sensitivity is from limbic damage in a "fight or slight" state which is reinforcing itself each time it's triggered. The program has exercises to encourage alternate pathways for the processing of the trigger scents and reduce or eliminate the physiologic responses.

Lastly, thoughts on the possibility of mold being a co-factor in this whole thing? We had a spot on our house where the gutter was leaking which caused a hole in the siding. Water got in and caused mold issues in our closets. We had visible fuzzy tan/green mold in our closets, bedroom, and a couple spots elsewhere with poor ventilation. We had a general contractor come out and repair the damage but in hindsight no proper containment was done and we didn't throw out anything that wasn''t mold damaged. This was maybe October.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk