Author Topic: Tell me about Suet  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Tell me about Suet
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:31:23 am »
I know nothing about it. It seems like a staple for you guys. I am all ears.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about Suet
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:26:38 am »
  • suet is tin-glazed pottery made in the British Isles between about 1550 and the late 1700s
  • suet is an example of a gap in the fossil record. It is named after paleontologist Dr. Alfred Suet
  • In the liturgical calendar of the Western Christian churches, Suet days are four separate sets of three days within the same week
  • The Gilded Tube-Nosed suet (Murina rozendaali) is a species of vesper suet in the Vespertilionidae family

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:35:45 am »
suet is the raw fat from red meat

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:41:38 pm »
I buy it from farmers markets or markets, but have to ask them to specially ask the slaughter house to reserve it as they normally throw it away. Usually you (I) have to pay next to nothing, and so end up buy some of their regular meat to keep everyone happy.

It is the fat around the kidneys of the cow, of which there is quite alot! Fat is an important source of calories (not to mention everything else good about raw fat) for the primitive eater. Marrow (in the bones) and hide fat (which is self explainatory) are the other 2 main sources, but suet is the easiest I think to remove when butchering, and so the easiest for people to get.

It lasts a very long time in the fridge (ive had mold growing on it one, but i am 99% sure its actually residual meat on the fat not the actual suet) which is great. People who travel sometimes make a processed food called 'pemmican' using suet (or i suppose any other fat) and dried meat. Check out lex rookers manual on it (awesome), although it is not raw, and more used for travelling or when you can get anything else i suppose (or storage).

I like to warm my suet up a little to kind body temperature in some warmish water, it becomes absolutely deliscious. Other people just take it out of the fridge for a while to take the chill off.

Ermm, all i can think of. People like lex used a ratio of 150g meat a day and 150g of suet I think, which works out at about    600cal pro, 1350cal fat, not sure about %'s but the idea is basically eat a moderate amount of protein and the rest from fat.

Some people also suppliment their diets with wild, seasonal fruit and some other vegetation like samphire.

Anyways do some reading, this site is actually the fount of all things you could possibly want to know!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 06:31:39 am »
In my area grassfed suet is easier to obtain than raw GF butter and is cheaper. Plus, I do better on suet than butter, so I lucked out.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Raw in Florida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:31:00 am »
so you just eat raw as is? What does it taste like?

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:55:57 am »
Chalk.
That's not paleo.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:04:35 am »
Sometimes it's crumbly, sometimes it's more moist and chewy. The taste is very bland, almost nothing when it's fresh. Over time as it starts to "go bad" in the fridge (some people think it gets better) it gets a stronger smell and taste. Personally I like the dryer crumbly kind, and I like to cut it and lean meat into bite size pieces and eat them together. I get one piece of each for each bite, this way the suet doesn't get sticky in my mouth as it tends to do if you just chew mouthfuls of it by itself.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:50:51 am »
Over time as it starts to "go bad" in the fridge (some people think it gets better) it gets a stronger smell and taste.

The closest flavor I could liken it to was a quality plain yogurt. A welcome treat for those of us not eating dairy but desiring a different taste now and then. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »
Creamy!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:10:35 am »
A recent discovery for me after years of trying to source organic grass-fed suet.  It's simply the best animal fat available IMO.  It bears little taste but adds a delicious creamy texture to meals.  It keeps, seemingly, for weeks in the fridge so can be bought in bulk.  It's cheap!

I measure out chunks of suet and pulse it in my food processor for around 30 secs then sprinkle a few spoonfuls over my meals.  It looks like grated parmesan cheese!   ;D

The only downside is the fact that it appears to be very difficult to obtain.  So, actually, forget everything I said.  It's nasty, horrid stuff!!  You really wouldn't like it at all.  No.  I think you'll much prefer butter or bone marrow!   ;)
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:20 am »
I find suet largely tasteless(only once found a short-term source of really good suet but that went out for various reasons). Marrow is far better re taste.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk