Author Topic: Dry meat surface  (Read 5192 times)

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Dry meat surface
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »
Usually I eat my meat fresh.
The Meat I am about to have today I got it from the local butcher yesterday and I put the steaks on a plate inside the refrigerator.

Today its got a little bit dry surface!
Is it something I should worry about?

If it gets even drier by the evening its still good for eating??

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Dry meat surface
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »
Chow down.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline whatever

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »
Not a problem, remember NO sealed container and turn the meat every day or so.
fresh wet meat I don't like it as much.
Dry dark red surface good eatable
slimy brownish surface very good and tasty
dry redisch/gray not very tasty no good smell but eatable ?maybe avoid this kind of aged meat?. Don't know didn't get sick of it.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »
Usually I eat my meat fresh.
The Meat I am about to have today I got it from the local butcher yesterday and I put the steaks on a plate inside the refrigerator.

Today its got a little bit dry surface!
Is it something I should worry about?

If it gets even drier by the evening its still good for eating??

heavens no. It can get a really nice chew and intense flavour if you leave it there for several days. If you have other stuff in the fridge with a strong smell, the fat on the meat will take taste from it. thats not always pleasant, so pay heed.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:16:11 pm »
heavens no. It can get a really nice chew and intense flavour if you leave it there for several days. If you have other stuff in the fridge with a strong smell, the fat on the meat will take taste from it. thats not always pleasant, so pay heed.

I worried about this same thing at first.  I brought coolers to pick up my grass fed lamb from the butcher.  I was worried that I did not have ice in the coolers, so I drove home with my windows down and the heat off in the car (it was about 20 degrees F outside). 

Now I wonder whether I even need a freezer.  Anyone just use their fridge for keeping large amounts of meat or do you freeze/thaw it?  My meat is all vacuum sealed so it seems like it would stay fresh in the fridge for many months, and I hear that freezing can be bad for the meat, but I haven't read extensively about freezing yet.

Ryan

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:28:50 pm »
I dont think freezing stuff is a good idea. The texture becomes annoying and the taste bland.

My meat is all vacuum sealed so it seems like it would stay fresh in the fridge for many months

Keep them well cooled and they will last for years. We have case after case of 10 year old beef being sold and eaten. Stuff found in the back of some industrial freezer and sold on as dog food. Nobody got sick. Nobody noticed any difference in taste. But everbody got all upset because it was so old. Ok, its unethical to sell it as fresh meat, but I found it hilarious because it smacks right in the face of all the rigid regulation. You can eat 10 year old beef and be just fine. Worst case scenario, youll like it.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:15:34 am »
lol brother

So you say its ok to eat(raw) it even if its there for few weeks right and the texture can be seen as  flavor enhancer ?

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:39 am »
lol brother

So you say its ok to eat(raw) it even if its there for few weeks right and the texture can be seen as  flavor enhancer ?

Mine are often left out for a week while I munch through. Last bit is the best bit. So i try to have a rotation so what I eat has dried for 3-4 days. As it dehydrates the flavour becomes more intense. The slightly chewier texture is a bonus ;)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:13 am »
Mine are often left out for a week while I munch through. Last bit is the best bit. So i try to have a rotation so what I eat has dried for 3-4 days. As it dehydrates the flavour becomes more intense. The slightly chewier texture is a bonus ;)

Thanks, I am gradually eating meat that has been left out longer, my intestinal flora are probably all messed up from years of eating cooked SAD food so I am stepping it up gradually, building up my immunity and gut flora.  I suspected that others here didn't do much in the way of freezing or even refrigeration.  I want to eat high/rotten meat eventually, but I know I have a ways to go before then, I have only been eating raw meat for a week.

That being said, I haven't had to adjust, as I expected I might.  I immediately liked my meat raw even though I have been eating it cooked my whole life... though I did always prefer it very rare when cooked, maybe that was a sign.

Ryan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk