Author Topic: My merge with Raw Paleo  (Read 43521 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: My merge with Raw Paleo
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:02 pm »
So I guess wild salmon are off your list too, given that their numbers have been declining rapidly? I've been eating less of them due to increasing price anyway and am beginning to think we're approaching the point where it's not sustainable to keep eating them at this rate. It's too bad too, because they are a very healthy food and I feel great when I eat salmon.

I haven't seen a wild salmon at any fishmonger's in my area for  several years now, it's all farmed salmon. I admit that if I had it available, I would make an exception for selfish reasons(it's just too good a food).

Yeah, I know, but "if" doesn't do us any good in the real world. We're stuck with the unpleasant reality that we've so screwed up the planet that management is the only way to keep the remaining animals alive. Management in part involves protecting the remaining wild animals. We can't rely on the masses to not exterminate them, as they have done going all the way back to H. erectus 1.6 million years ago.

Again, I disagree. They're now talking about granting wildlife corridors between national parks as keeping wildlife in a heavily managed smallish area is impractical. In short, the only solution is to leave large tracts of wild land to animals, forbid humans to venture inside, for the most part, and place vast penalties on people harming wildlife. I mean, if , say, farmers were given the death penalty for shooting dead a member of an endangered species, that would work as a disincentive.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2009, 08:08:41 am »
...The organic growers you know almost certainly have no idea what seawater precipitate is, and may not even have heard of worm castings.  It's doubtful they even know that calcium is the most important mineral for plants.  They probably know about natural nitrogen sources like blood meal, but that's probably all. You can't build healthy plants without the right minerals, and that's why organic agriculture often fails.  People don't know what they're doing, enough to really get the job done.
Thanks, you've given me reason to hope on this. It occurred to me that the vast majority of "experts" on diet are WAY wrong, so most "experts" on farming could be wrong too when they claim that the green revolution is responsible for the huge increases in production and the only method that will maintain those levels of production.

I get a kick out of how the news media talks about "organic" farming like it's this wild new concept, when it's very similar to how my grandfather and most other ordinary farmers did it decades ago.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2009, 11:20:28 pm »
So I got my bear meat(ground) I have it thawing out on my counter top & it would probably be ready to eat sometime tonite. The meat juice is very dark & rich red. Not sure if it's meat juice or blood. I'm getting hungry just staring at it. I asked my (now ex) GF's Mom if she had any extra bear fat. Told her I wanted it for my dog. She gave me some bones but said the butcher grounded all the bear meat.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:40:57 pm by DeadRamones »

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2009, 04:37:26 am »
Well I ate it. It was pretty bland with a little sweet note to it. I'm guessing keeping it in the freezer was what took away some of the gamey taste. I handed some to my dog & he looked at me dumbfounded. He didn't eat it. I was surprise cause he eats anything.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2009, 04:55:58 am »
Dogs communicate in pictures in the mind I think, and have stupendous sense of smell.  Maybe bear seemed too much like cousin Billy-Bob from the woods, this time.  He hasn't eaten bear before, right?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2009, 07:23:33 am »
Dogs don't prey on bears in the wild, for obvious reasons, so maybe bear meat doesn't smell like prey meat to dogs?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2009, 10:58:33 am »
Dogs have been hunting companions/partners of Man for millennia, and always got their share. (Lean meat! Lean meat is dogfood!)

I hear from pet owners that if the pet sees the owner eating something it will want to try it, so did the dog see the bear meat being eaten?

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2009, 09:36:59 pm »
 He gets the scraps after I'm done with it. I'm thinking since it was a new meat he was suspicious. I haven't given him the bones yet though. Also the meat came out the freezer & was pretty bland(no game taste, tasted like very lean bison) Maybe it smelled to plain for him lol.

Dogs don't prey on bears in the wild, for obvious reasons, so maybe bear meat doesn't smell like prey meat to dogs? Possible, makes common sense.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2009, 11:29:34 pm »
My Grassfed-beef sources caved in. Now they're only really sell very lean cuts & even the ground beef is 85-90%lean. I normally get chucks or shanks cause they have the most visible fat. seems like everytime I go they ran out, but has tons of chuck stew meat.

I don't think it's cutting it though. I'm getting ridiculous cravings for junk food I never ate even before RVAF (oreos,peanut butter/chocolate candy bars,french fries, cooked hamburgers). For the longest I thought my cravings were cause of a mineral deficiency. So I used raw cocoa beans to ward off the chocolate cravings. It helped with the chocolate cravings but now I'm craving fatty junk foods like twix & reeses pieces.

I think I'm lacking fat(like another poster suggested). So here is my strategy. I'm thinking of getting pricier cuts conventional beef (which comes out to the same price as the grass fed beef I normally buy $6-8/lb) with more visible fat, trying raw pork,egg yolks & maybe butter(I always loved the taste of butter & never had a problem with dairy except for to much raw milk)

My only reason for going with this strategy is because I might be moving soon(finished inspection on a house I bid,waiting for bank to accept my re-bid) So I really don't want to order anything online until I'm settled in as far as housing goes. (I'm pushing the bank to close ASAP)

I've recently added lamb & beef liver. The lamb was delicious. Had a very soft buttery taste to it. I will be including some weekly. I was never a liver fan. I threw it in a blender with 6 eggs & 1 strawberry. It tasted great. My goal is to just be able to tolerate the taste of liver with nothing else. Might try it tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk