Author Topic: Gooey sacks in lamb's fat.  (Read 3205 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Gooey sacks in lamb's fat.
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »
Hey. Has anyone else found gooey sacks in lamb's fat? In pretty much every shoulder I've had there's at least one of these(quite big), and in the one leg I had there was one too. I can't find via Google search what these are, and nor have any butchers yet been able to tell me, or even seem to know about them but just say 'oh well I guess it must just be a different kind of fat', and reply as if I'm crazy for asking... I'm interested to know if it's something I should avoid eating, or the opposite.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Gooey sacks in lamb's fat.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »
I've seen and eaten these things. They're definitely not "a different kind of fat". They don't taste like fat at all. They taste like some kind of gland or organ. I don't know what they are, but intuitively I think that they're good to eat.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:01 am »
That's what I thought, that they were some sort of gland. When I suggested that's what I thought it could be to one butcher he got all defensive and disgusted at the suggestion and assured me 'it's nothing like that', despite himself having no idea what it was...

I wanted confirmation though that it was something like this as opposed to being a store of toxins or something, since I'm personally undecided on the taste. It's not obviously good or obviously bad to me. I don't want to be missing out though, if it's something good...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:59 am »
What gland or organ would anatomically be near or in the shoulder? I have seen the same thing and it tastes earthy like organs and feels squishy also like organs.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:55:47 pm »
Could it be the lymph nodes near the shoulder?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:20:03 pm »
LOL@YOU.COM Apparently they are cysts.

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure those are parasites in fat tissue. I find them once in a while in the beef back fat I purchase.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk