Author Topic: Jack Lalanne  (Read 25080 times)

Offline instant

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Jack Lalanne
« on: October 02, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »
I been looking into this guy for a little while now after coming accross some of his old youtube channels, the guy is 95 years old and is great shape.... I know he recommends raw foods and or undercooked foods. He is also a huge fan of supplements; i found this. But it seems he mostly is really into exercise.. he thinks exercise is king. It seems wise to really take some of his advice, he's doing what seems to be working and his voice should really be heard more.

Lalanne reports that he usually takes about 30 liver tablets per day but during the week before his big events he would take as many as 200 liver tablets per day.

But mainly, I have about 400 vitamin supplements for breakfast right after I work out.

I put them in a blender and make a high-protein drink. I use a quart of carrot and celery juice, half and half, then put in two heaping tablespoons of wheat germ, two more of nonfat-milk solids, two more of high-strain brewers' yeast, then a heaping tablespoon of bone meal and a banana. Then I put in 100 liver-yeast tablets, 15,000 milligrams of vitamin C, 2000 units of B, some boron and some zinc; also 75 alfalfa-and-kelp tablets. Then I blend it and drink it. It's one of the worst-tasting health drinks you could have, but I still drink it, because it's the perfect breakfast. It's got about 40 grams of protein, all the B-complex vitamins, everything that's natural from the carrot and celery juices, the enzymes, the trace elements, calcium and potassium from the bone meal. And it's very low in calories. After you work out like me, you're not hungry; you're thirsty.
http://www.playboy.co.uk/life-and-st...Jack-La-Lanne/

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Jack Lalanne
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:04 pm »
But mainly, I have about 400 vitamin supplements for breakfast right after I work out.

Talk about excessive. :o
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:52:41 pm »
Funny you should mention this. He came up in conversation earlier today...the guy did 1033 pushups for his birthday when he was in his early 40s (world record) and a couple of years later did 1000 jumping jacks (the exercise named after him) and 1000 chinups in under 90 minutes (another world record).

He has been talking about "eating food in their natural state" for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEboAJf9UVc
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:11 am »
Maybe the vitamins are for endorsement purposes.

Offline instant

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:26:38 am »
hmm i doubt it,, there was a video from him in the 50's saying he pops about 100 pills a day...

he claims hes been taking supplements since he was 15 years old

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:40:06 pm »
I don't think this is the right forum for this topic. I mean the guy takes humungous supplements and seems to be a raw vegan/fruitarian for the most part with some cooked animal food. No mention of raw meat-eating. Plus, he made  1 rather dubious quote re nutrition:-" If it tastes good, spit it out" - though he also said "if man made it, don't eat it".

*Moving to the hot topics forum*
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »
Plus, he made  1 rather dubious quote re nutrition:-" If it tastes good, spit it out"

I don;t see a problem with that statement when you consider the standard modern diet. Whether raw vegan or raw paleo or even just run of the mill "health foods", most of it doesn;t taste good to folks who have been eating Big Macs and drinking Diet Coke for years.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:31:28 am »
he would take as many as 200 liver tablets per day.
Good heavens. Maybe it's not as easy to get vitamin A toxicity from liver as some thought?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline instant

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:45:06 am »
UNless his tablets are very small or there so processed there basically useless?

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:24 pm »
Good heavens. Maybe it's not as easy to get vitamin A toxicity from liver as some thought?

I don;t think there is any such thing as vitamin A toxicity when you get your A from natural sources. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this, but...
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:01:36 pm »
I don;t think there is any such thing as vitamin A toxicity when you get your A from natural sources. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this, but...

It's rumoured that eating too much polar bear liver or seal liver will kill you
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:59:29 am »
I know you can get it from the livers of polar bears and some other creatures. People have died from it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:03 pm »
I read scurvy was caused by to much liver consumption. Was cured when sailors were given lemon/lime. So scurvy can be argued that it was a Vit A & C imbalance.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:57:03 am by DeadRamones »

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 07:33:51 am »
>> read scurvy was caused by to much liver consumption. Was cured when sailors were given lemon/lime. So scurvy can be 
>> argued that it was a Vit A & C imbalance

Dr  KGH  (paleonu.com)  states that C is only needed in tiny quantities in a non-Carb diet.  Carbs compete to bind to the same intra-cell receptors that Ascorbic Acid does; and they do so preferentially. British Sailors of centuries past got scurvy at sea only because they were eating high-Carb rations

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:37 pm »
yes sailors ate moldy biscuits and got scurvy, If they only ate raw fish skin and organs(like the Eskimos) they would of been fine, instead they had to go to the the ends of the earth to get suck on lemons in order to survive on rancid starch food
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:19:46 pm »
Jack is a body culture frontrunner and deserve a lot of credit. He started out as a sickly kid with enormous acne problems and he was so weak he did not participate in sports. his nutritional view was heavily influenced by Paul Bragg and Bernarr McFadden. They must have been doing something right as Bragg died at age 96....from a surfing accident. When he was bodybuilding he ate beef and even drank blood together with Armand Tanny. Later he reverted to vegetarianism but included fish and eggs for protein. I dont know if that is still the case. Guy looked good!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 02:41:39 am »
The early settlers in North America (French in Nova Scotia) developed scurvy and the natives told them to eat the sap from (I believe) one of the softwood trees, maybe spruce. Thus spruce gum. Lemons and limes lived in Nova Scotia maybe back when the dinosaurs roamed. ;D When I was born. LOL

He's the guy that sells the juicer?
Cheers
Al

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 04:10:39 am »
The early settlers in North America (French in Nova Scotia) developed scurvy and the natives told them to eat the sap from (I believe) one of the softwood trees, maybe spruce. Thus spruce gum. Lemons and limes lived in Nova Scotia maybe back when the dinosaurs roamed. ;D When I was born. LOL

He's the guy that sells the juicer?

Well whenever I have access to fresh birch sap, I will drink it with great pleasure. From Wiki; "The tree sap contains sugars (namely xylitol), proteins, amino acids, and enzymes."
I have no doubt in my mind that it would not take a human in the natural state many moments to figure out that this stuff, is good stuff, the first time he licked his fingers after cutting one up. If you have birch near you, the season to tap it is right now, if frost has not set in where youre at. At the break of spring and winther. Just make sure to plug the hole with a piece of branch and dont take too much from one tree at a time or you will hurt it more than necessary.

yeah, Jack is the juicer guy. But he has been a proponent of healthy eating from way before it ever got popularized by hollywood stars and looking at him even today, something tells me that he is doing something right. Ohyeah, and then this;

* 1954 (age 40): swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, underwater, with 140 pounds (64 kg; 10 st) of equipment, including two air tanks. A world record.
    * 1955 (age 41): swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco while handcuffed. When interviewed afterwards he was quoted as saying that the worst thing about the ordeal was being handcuffed, which reduced his chance to Star Jump significantly.
    * 1956 (age 42): set a world record of 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes on You Asked For It, a television program with Art Baker.
    * 1957 (age 43): swam the Golden Gate channel while towing a 2,500-pound (1,100 kg; 180 st) cabin cruiser. The swift ocean currents turned this one-mile (1.6 km) swim into a swimming distance of 6.5 miles (10.5 km).
    * 1958 (age 44): maneuvered a paddleboard nonstop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore. The 30-mile (48 km) trip took 9.5 hours.
    * 1959 (age 45): did 1,000 star jumps and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hour, 22 minutes and The Jack LaLanne Show went nationwide.
    * 1974 (age 60): For the second time, he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat.
    * 1975 (age 61): Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000-pound (450 kg; 71 st) boat.
    * 1976 (age 62): To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, he swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.
    * 1979 (age 65): towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 pounds (2,900 kg; 460 st) of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.[19]
    * 1980 (age 66): towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile (1.6 km) in less than one hour.
    * 1984 (age 70): Once again handcuffed and shackled, he fought strong winds and currents as he swam 1.5 miles (2.4 km) while towing 70 boats with 70 people from the Queensway Bay Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary.

The guy is a Houdini (or nuts) no less amazing than the real one. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 04:27:04 am »
Brother,
I was getting exhausted just reading all of that about Jack. I guess I really don't know Jack.... Boom paddy ding  :P

A # of years ago a buddy of mine had a Mother Earth Magazine that had an article on tapping birch trees in Russia. (pre-internet) Long story, but we decided to try it because Labrador has no Maple trees (too far north)
Anyways we tapped and boiled it down to make syrup. Eventually we went to using freezing to concentrate it which was easier and less likely of disaster. If you boiled it down the house turned into a sauna, not good for conjugal bliss and if it boiled down too much it would burn. We're talking 60 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. That's a lotta haulin' buckets and boilin'. We lived at a hydroelectric power project (largest underground hydroelectric powerhouse in the world) so electricity was free.

Anyhooo the stuff carmelized when boiled and came out somewhat like molasses but when rendered by freezing was a nice sweetener for tea. Diuretic and used by the natives for kidney stones.
Maybe I'll get some again.

In Russia apparently they destroyed a lot of trees by overdoing it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 04:43:05 am »
Anyhooo the stuff carmelized when boiled and came out somewhat like molasses but when rendered by freezing was a nice sweetener for tea. Diuretic and used by the natives for kidney stones.Maybe I'll get some again.

In Russia apparently they destroyed a lot of trees by overdoing it.

You dont need to do anything to the birch sap. If you do it right and at the right time for whatever species you have avaible, you can practically drink it from the tree. Tates like sugarwater. So a couple of strawberries in there, a quick stir and a couple of cubes and you have a really nice treat :)

Typical for our species to deplete the resources without though. For the brightest animal on the planet we are acting pretty stupid.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 06:35:32 am »
You dont need to do anything to the birch sap. If you do it right and at the right time for whatever species you have avaible, you can practically drink it from the tree. Tates like sugarwater. So a couple of strawberries in there, a quick stir and a couple of cubes and you have a really nice treat :)

Typical for our species to deplete the resources without though. For the brightest animal on the planet we are acting pretty stupid.
I hear ya. I will try that. For anyone else who wants to try tapping, you get a stick of some kind, drill a hole in the center or slice it in half then drill a hole in the tree on an angle upward, then simply push the stick in and catch the sap when it pours out. After finished, make absolutely sure you put a snug plug into the hole so it won't leak and kill the tree. Sap is like blood to the tree.
Cheers
Al

Offline personman

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:23:06 am »
Jack Lalanne was a 33 degree mason. He worshipped Lucifer and was an advocate for global fascist government.

Offline cobalamin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 04:22:11 am »
Jack LaLanne: In those days everybody was saying that you had to eat meat to build muscle, so I went on a meat thing for awhile. NowI only eat fish--no chicken, no turkey, just fish. I get all my protein from fish and egg whites.
Source: http://www.shareguide.com/LaLanne.html

From what he said. It seems like he ate a very anti-inflammatory diet. Fish, ripe fruits and vegetables.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 09:35:26 am »
Jack Lalanne was a 33 degree mason. He worshipped Lucifer and was an advocate for global fascist government.
What evidence do you have re this claim?
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk