Raw Paleo Diet Gallery > Display Your Culinary Creations

Roadkill-eating info

<< < (2/3) > >>

Techydude:
Isn't the maggots comming from the roadkill worrysome? What about the convential pesticide/toxic forage the animals were eating in the area?

Sitting Coyote:
Maggots aren't worrysome.  Why would they be?  I've eaten maggots straight from deer carcasses.  They're fairly bland in taste, though not unpleasant.

Toxic forage might be a different issue.  If they live along a road where they spray the shoulders, or along railroad tracks where they spray, or among agricultural fields where they spray then the forage might be toxic and lead to bioaccumulation in the animal.  Otherwise I'm not sure what you're worrying about.

Techydude:

--- Quote from: Sitting Coyote on March 18, 2011, 07:59:50 pm ---Maggots aren't worrysome.  Why would they be?  I've eaten maggots straight from deer carcasses.  They're fairly bland in taste, though not unpleasant.

Toxic forage might be a different issue.  If they live along a road where they spray the shoulders, or along railroad tracks where they spray, or among agricultural fields where they spray then the forage might be toxic and lead to bioaccumulation in the animal.  Otherwise I'm not sure what you're worrying about.

--- End quote ---

The maggot part I was worried about because I heard they're parasites and eating them they're still not digested and will burrow into your body after you eat them.

The pesticide part I understand now because pesticides come out in the animal's fats and are toxic to the eater of the animal. Organic/wild animals on safe land ftw

Sitting Coyote:

--- Quote from: Techydude on March 18, 2011, 08:47:23 pm ---The maggot part I was worried about because I heard they're parasites and eating them they're still not digested and will burrow into your body after you eat them.

--- End quote ---

That's pretty silly.  Maggots are not parasites.  They're fly larvae.  They will digest just like any insect, and will not live long enough upon entering your stomach to be able to burrow into you.  They don't burrow anyway.  Their method of feeding is to spit their digestive juices on carrion, let the juices digest proteins and turn them into sugars, then lap up the sugars.

Techydude:

--- Quote from: Sitting Coyote on March 19, 2011, 01:51:10 am ---That's pretty silly.  Maggots are not parasites.  They're fly larvae.  They will digest just like any insect, and will not live long enough upon entering your stomach to be able to burrow into you.  They don't burrow anyway.  Their method of feeding is to spit their digestive juices on carrion, let the juices digest proteins and turn them into sugars, then lap up the sugars.

--- End quote ---

Are they toxic or dangerous or dirty to eat? They're fly larvae, I know i'd love to try bee larvae or grubs but flies...I dunno just fear, but I hope my fear of this is irrational like all others.

Also don't the animals get dirt thrown onto them or rubber burns and tire marks when they're like run over?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version