Author Topic: Shoes roundup  (Read 56875 times)

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes roundup
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2010, 04:44:46 am »
I just received my two pairs of Soft Star RunAmoks.  I haven't worn the pair with the heavier sole yet, but I've worn the pair with the thin sole around the house.  I am very pleased.  They yield the closest feel to brain-tanned moccasins that I've ever felt in a commercially made shoe.  The Vibram soles are thin and flexible, yet firm enough to be puncture resistant and the tread is quite nice.  Now that I see them in front of me and can walk around in a pair, I have even higher hopes for these minimalist shoes.

I ran this morning (in my two-year-old Teva Protons), so won't run again until Sunday AM.  I'll try the RunAmoks then, and report back on my sense of them as running shoes.  They offer a lot of room, great ventilation and good puncture resistance, so I have very high hopes for these as running shoes.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 07:00:47 am »
Hey Michael, do you have any info on the liquid rubber?

Check out this link miles: http://www.liquidrubbergb.com/index.html

I've contacted the company and it is available in smaller quantities for domestic use than may be interpreted by the commercial/industrial applications demonstrated in their website video.  It's not cheap, unfortunately.  Trade price on 5 litre high build £68.55.  Non-skid 5 litre £92.54 + vat + £10 delivery.  Of course, 5 litres would make MANY pairs of shoes!  :)

If you like the look of it having read their website and watched their video, I'd be keen to organise a joint purchase with you so let me know.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 07:13:36 am »
Hey Eric,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and offering your opinions on a selection of minimalist footwear options.  I was particularly interested in your comments on the Russell Moc's.  Thanks for sharing that.  I will probably still talk to the company at some point but won't rely on those being the ultimate solution that I was, perhaps, hoping.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not convinced by the VFF's.  I am aware that problems such as those you mentioned are not uncommon with VFF's but it seems that sizing can be a difficult and individual matter with them.  Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones as the only problem I share is that of getting bits stuck between the toes and I don't find it an issue.

I agree that watershoes can be a good option particularly when financial implications are taken into account.  I do like the similar watershoes that I have but don't find they compare with the 'road' feel of the FeelMax's or the comfort of the VFF's.  I agree that heat can also be an issue in addition to, at least I found, their total lack of water resistance.

Thanks for the update and preview of the RunAmoks!  That's exciting to hear as I've had a pair of these on my wishlist for some time.  I look forward to a future update following your first run in them.  Cheers Eric!

Andrew, good to hear you had a good run in the FiveFingers!  Perhaps your fake pair are even better than the originals?!!  :)
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:03 am »
Any updates on the RunAmoks yet Eric?

Also, I was wondering if anyone had heard about Inov8's proposed new leap into the minimalist market.  Check these out!

http://birthdayshoes.com/a-five-toed-minimalist-shoe-by-someone-other-than-vibram-meet-inov-8-s-upcoming-evoskin-breaking-news

http://www.fitnessfootwear.com/p-3145-inov-8-evoskin-smoke.aspx

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:41 pm »
I've had the RunAmoks long enough to comment on them.  I like them a lot.  When I ran in the VFF and even Teva water shoes, my range was limited by the amount of distance I could cover before I started feeling blisters coming on.  And That range was not as far as I would have liked.  I've ran a few times in the RunAmoks and have also taken them contra dancing, and love them.  My range is now limited by my fitness level, not the propensity of my footwear to give me blisters.  The RunAmoks have a delightful moccasin-like feel.  I give them two thumbs up!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2010, 07:46:29 am »
I'm overdue to replace my shoes for business-style work use. I've been satisfied with the Dharma shoe from Vivo Barefoot I've been wearing and a coupon is currently available to bring it down 30% to $98, but I'm open to other suggestions before the coupon expires Aug. 30.

They held up better than any other shoes I've worn, though the leather of one shoe did eventually separate from the sole at a spot where some of the stitching failed, and the hole is spreading. I'll probably try to get it repaired as a backup pair. I especially like them after I recently discovered that they have an insole that makes them more like truly barefoot-style shoes when it's removed.

Upsides:
- comfortable wide toebox that promotes healthily splayed toes
- The only truly barefoot-style shoe I've seen that looks businessy enough to wear to work
- very comfortable
- lasts a long time
- slip on and off and still fit well enough to not fall off except when running in them barefoot

The downsides:
- decorative plastic on the back above the heel wears off easily
- they're still pricey at $98 (but probably a good value given all the use I got out of them--I liked them so much I ended up wearing them nearly every day)
- they squeak on waxy floors
- the wide toebox makes them look like clown shoes, and I got one snide remark, but I'd rather stick with wide-toebox shoes anyway
- too wide a fit to wear barefoot, except around the house

Size : US 13 / EU 46
Colour : Black
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
Thanks for the postive RunAmoks review Eric.  It seems as though I'm definitely going to have to buy a pair of these particularly as the International shipping costs on the website seem most reasonable!  The only things I'm a little concerned about with them is i) do the feet slip around in them too much as I'd read in other reviews?  ii) are the toeboxes wide enough?  How have you found these 2 factors?

Phil, I think the Vivo Dharma's are a good choice.  I have a pair of the canvas Dharmas but wish the leather versions were available at the time as I would've preferred those.  I had various negative remarks wearing my white canvas Dharmas out too and can relate to the clown look - mine are clown/miami vice!  :)  They're now my garden shoes!  I also have a pair of the brown leather Lesotho's which I'd highly recommend for those times when something smart(ish) is required.  My Lesotho's are my main shoe and are worn to work as well as general day use.  I do wish they had something a little 'smarter' and 'dressier' available though.  BTW, have you seen the Vivo Barefoot Franklin boot soon to be released?  I'm wondering if that would be suitable for your boot needs?

One suggestion I would make, Phil, is to look into driving shoes if you want something particularly smart for work and dressier occasions.  I bought myself a pair of these (http://www.henryjamesshoes.com/products/tan-leather/top-gear a while back which were rather nicely made and look great.  They're not perfect but if you have a good look around I think you may be able to find something suitable as there's a great variety available.  I cut the black rubber 'sole' sections (as shown in the pic) from mine to make them completely flat but should've been more careful.  I was surprised to discover that, strangely, the rubber sections are not simply attached to the leather outer but actually stitched in with no leather beneath.  Removing them has left, basically, two big holes in the bottom of the shoes! I still wear them but cannot go out in the rain or wet unless I wear waterproof socks!!  Quite a barefoot experience though!  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
For dressier occasions I wear Rockports--I only had to remove the glued-on heels to make them nearly flat. Unfortunately, Rockport now uses a single-piece molded sole.

VB only have black and white Lesothos currently and they look too casual for work. Plus, I already have a similar pair of white Aquas.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:09 am »
OK, I ordered another pair of Dharmas for business wear. After 30% off coupon with shipping they came to $102.65, which is well below what my first pair cost when they were one of the few barefoot style shoes around and the only one that didn't look wierd, but still a bit pricey. So this is what I have currently:

- business wear: Vivo barefoot Dharma
- formal wear: Rockport w/ heels removed
- running, sprinting, hiking: Vivo barefoot Aqua; the laces enable me to run without socks, but for some reason they also have a redundant elastic-like inner part under the laces that makes getting the shoes on more difficult and makes them feel a bit tight. They should have done either the laces or the constricting material--not both.
- winter: kayak boots

I'm all set for now for business and formal wear. When it's time to replace the Rockports I'll probably buy something like the dressier Terra Plana shoes that are not truly barefoot-style but come close (but I hope there will be dressy-style barefoot shoes by that time).

Ideally I still would like something lighter than the Aquas, with a 2 - 3 mm outsole, for barefoot-style running (maybe even charity road racing some day), sprinting, hiking, and occasionally wading in water (I live near water and so do my parents and I like to be able to cool off in it or push a boat out without having to take my shoes off). I've gone through two pairs of water shoes. They didn't hold up well, it's rare to find them in my size and the fit tends to be poor. Right now the two most interesting shoes are:

1. LUNA Slip-on SANDAL: $49.95 http://www.lunasandals.com first batch starts shipping July 1st, 2010); 4 mm leather sole; 4+ oz weight; sole is a bit thick
2. RunAmoc - LITE Black: $87.00 for size 12; 2 mm sole. Several complaints of small stones getting into them too easily through the holes.
3. Feelmax Osma:  from $79.99; 2.1 mm outsole and 2 mm insole; 10% off coupons sometimes offered; 7.8 oz weight for size 47 http://chrisultra.blogspot.com/2010/03/feelmax-osma-running-shoe.html; 3.5 oz for size ?; sole is the thinnest of the top barefoot shoes, but it "lacks the grip of Vivo Barefoot and Vibram FiveFingers shoes" and "also lacks the long-term wear resistance that rubber can provide"; shoe is a bit heavy

The Luna slip-on has a thicker sole than I'd like, I don't like the feel of sandal straps in between the toes, and the leather wouldn't be waterproof, but it's the lightest barefoot style shoe of all. The Feelmax Osma is nearly twice the weight but has a thinner outsole for possibly better ground feel.

For winter boots, the Kayak boots are a bit slippery, not warm enough for the coldest days (it can get down to about 20-25 below zero here in Vermont), and the boots are not high enough to keep snow from soaking my pants. Vivo Barefoot Dundan's look promising (http://expeditionaryart.com/blog/2009/02/vivo-barefoot/), but they're only sold in-season and there's not a lot of info on them on the Web, so I'll have to wait for them to be offered at VB's site to get more info about them and maybe buy them.

I don't think Feiyue's can really be considered barefoot-style shoes, as they are surprisingly heavy--listed as 1.5 pounds per shoe at Amazon! They apparently have a thick, heavy sole.

Sidebar: I used to have a size 11.5" left foot and size 11" right foot that usually translated into a size 13 US running shoe, for some reason, but after going Paleo my feet "shrunk" a little, which I take to indicate that my semi-flat feet developed better arches, and that does look like the case. I think my feet even shortened slightly further since I started using barefoot style shoes. Both my feet now measure a little under 11". For Vivo Barefoot shoes I find that size 46 is a good fit (45 was too small). Strangely, different shoe size conversion charts list different conversion sizes. This one http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/conchart.htm says that size 46 Euro = 11.5 US and the one provided here http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Feiyue-High-Shoes/dp/B001TUU0R8/ref=pd_sim_sg_5 says that 46 Euro = 13 US.

Sidebar 2: What's up with people smashing bottles? The mud trail near my home is mostly soft material, yet there is still broken glass. You have to go out of your way to find a small stone or patch of hard ground to smash your bottle against, yet people are apparently doing that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:21:40 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 03:16:38 am »
Regarding the concern expressed early in the thread that one needs shoe cushioning to run on modern surfaces like asphalt and concrete, that is addressed by author Chris McDougall in the following video I came across. It matches my experience that blacktop in particular is actually easier to run on than many natural surfaces. The reason a small amount of sole can be helpful is not the hard, smooth surfaces of roads and sidewalks, but broken glass and other trash on those surfaces and jagged rocks/stones/gravel on more natural-type surfaces.

Health: Barefoot Running - nytimes.com/video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIT7t2jtdP0

Cold, as mentioned, is also an issue, but it's surprisingly less of an issue than I expected--maybe because the feet aren't constricted as much. There have only been a handful of days in the last couple of winters in Vermont where my feet felt cold while wearing just flat-soled kayak boots or Vivo Barefoot shoes and standard cotton socks. If I was doing a lot of just standing or sitting around during the winter I would want something warmer, but I'm generally on the move when I'm outdoors during the winter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:32:26 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2010, 10:34:07 am »
Correction to left foot length: it's more like 11.2 inches long instead of just under 11 inches. Not as impressive a change, but still somewhat significant, I think, and my feet certainly feel better than they used to, and the toes are somewhat more splayed than they used to be. Two of my toes used to overlap enough that the nail of one would dig into the other and make it bleed if I didn't keep it clipped super short.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 07:57:01 pm »
Hi Eric. What do you think of the run amok build quality...do you think they will last a long time?

Cheers.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2010, 06:05:54 am »
The RunAmoks have held up fine so far.  The build seems solid to me, and since the leather is so thin the seems would be easy to repair if their thread fails.  The pair with the thicker soles is wearing down a lot faster than the pair with the thinner soles, and the thicker soles seemed to bring me to the point of blisters sooner, so I stopped running in those quite soon and only ran substantially in the thinner soled version.  I don't expect I'll buy the thicker-soled version again.  I plan on buying a suede pair of the thinner-soled version for hunting season.

Let it be known, though, that I've stopped running in my RunAmoks, although I do walk around town in them and wear them to work.  As of last week I began running barefoot, breaking myself in very slowly.  I ran about 3 miles today, which was about a mile more than last week, and it turned out I added distance too fast.  I got a couple blisters, one of which was quite large and had a little blood in it.  It'll take a couple days to heal, and I'll ease back to 2 miles per outing until I feel compelled to start inching my way back up. 

Luckily for me I'm not training for a race, otherwise the setback in distance per day I've taken to get used to actually running barefoot would be very inconvenient.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2010, 02:55:52 am »
The RunAmoks have held up fine so far....

Thanks for the updates on the RunAmoks Eric.  I'm definitely planning on investing in a pair soon as I also need to buy my 15 month old son his first pair of shoes and have my eye on a pair of SoftStars Roos.

Regarding the 2 vibram sole options they seem to offer on the RunAmoks, it's interesting to hear your experiences of both.  I was planning on ordering with the 2mm street tread but was also wondering if they'd sell a pair without either of the vibram sole options - just with the soft sole leather moc.  Do you happen to know if that's a possibility and, in your experience of using the shoes, do you think that'd work well?

I'm all set for now for business and formal wear....

Sidebar 2: What's up with people smashing bottles? The mud trail near my home is mostly soft material, yet there is still broken glass. You have to go out of your way to find a small stone or patch of hard ground to smash your bottle against, yet people are apparently doing that.

PaleoPhil, interesting to read that your feet have altered in shape and size too.  This is definitely something I've noticed during my period of both switching to a paleo diet and wearing minimalist footwear.  I used to wear UK size 9 but now wear an 8 to 8.5!  The improvement in my foot arch is clear to see visually too.  It's amazing that you run in the Vivo Aqua's.  Running in my Vivo's isn't something I'd even considered as they feel too much like a protective shoe for my taste.  I'm glad that you seem to get on with them for this though and that you seem to have resolved your footwear line for the current season.

Unfortunately, my running is on hold at the moment as my plantar fasciitis has returned in addition to very painful heel spurs.  This may have been a result of my levels of inactivity over recent weeks more than anything else but it's now even too painful to walk any significant distance!  I need to get back to my Egoscue exercises which have been badly neglected for the last 6 months after making incredible process previously.  The joys of children!  :)

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 03:17:05 am »
Are there any barefoot-style boots or shoes that have good traction on snow and ice? One of the downsides to Vivo Barefoots, water shoes and kayak boots is that it's fairly slippery to walk in them on ice and snow.

Hey Phil,

I came across a website today that may be of great interest to you in your search for suitable minimalist footwear for your snow & ice!  The guy at the AdventureInProgress blog has an interesting article here: http://www.adventureinprogress.com/forty-below-overboots.  His idea is basically using a layering system of minimalist boot, overboot and (when necessary) an additional cleat for grip.  Of course, the article links to the various products he discusses.  The minimalist overboots (which could be used over the FeelMax Kuuvas) can be found here: http://www.40below.com/product_detail_public.php?ProductID=4400.

Hope this is of interest to you and offers up some new possibilities!  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 09:09:24 am »
thanks for the info, Michael

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2010, 03:53:33 pm »
No worries Phil.  I hope it's of some use to you.

(BTW, I hope you received my update PM about the chin up bar.  Please let me know when it arrives safely!) :)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »
Thought I'd give my thoughts on the Vivo Evo's. I wanted soft star, but didn't want to pay all that shipping and duty for something untried.

So I went for the bird in the hand. I'm pleased with the Evo's. They're very flexible and lightweight. The sole is not as thin as vibram, but a bit thinner than my vivo boots, and while you can't feel every detail, the mechanics are definitely barefoot.

They're fully artificial, but have a mesh on top, so breathability is great. I would have preferred leather, but it seems ok in practise.

They look very good, and great for taking to the gym for a mixed workout. They seem like a well made pair of trainers and I think they'll last out well.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2010, 08:42:51 am »
damnit, i wanted to buy the feelmax kuuvas for winter. apparently i can't buy them in the US. any help? extremeoutfitters told me the don't have any more in stock (despite it still being on their website) and don't plan on reordering. anyone know how else i can get them? thanks

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:50 pm »
http://www.bluewatersports.eu/sola-sports---split-toe-5mm-neoprene-surf--watersports-boots-8519-p.asp

http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Outdoor-Ninja-Tabi-Boots?sc=9&category=40
http://www.blitzsport.com/Adult-Indoor-Ninja-Tabi-Boots?sc=9&category=40

I'm looking for some footwear for the outdoors, cold weather, possibly including snow. I need thin/flexible soles to allow me to be agile, and nothing that's going to squash and deform my feet. These are some things I'm looking at, I'd rather not spend too much money as I'm limited, and this stuff looks interesting.

I thought that in the past I saw some 'five fingers tundra's, which looked like the flow but thicker foot-casing(not thicker sole), and like a boot rather than a shoe, made for winter wear, but I can't find them so maybe I imagined it. I would consider the flow, or the flow trek though.

What does anyone else think, suggestions?

My ideal would probably be soft leather boots, with a flexible leather sole, but I don't think I'll be able to get that. I'd like some leather gloves as well.

Edit: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65255 I found this... So maybe they removed them from sale..??? Why would they do that!?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:14:21 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2010, 04:07:33 am »
Leather soles are risky mate as they won't stop a nail. Consider vibram.

Soft Star can custom make boots, but yeh they're not cheap and you have to import them.

If you're set on leather, you could try and make moccasins.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »
Update: Soft star don't custom make boots anymore.

Also, be careful with the new Vivo Barefoot. I've had a look and the build quality is shit on the new ones. I think it has been getting worse. My first pair was great, then I had one that didn't last that long.

I have bought 2 pairs from old stock on sale, but after that I don't know what I'll do. Soft star are good, but the boots work when it's cold and rainy.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.co.uk/home/department/cowhide/cowhide.aspx

I'm trying to order leather from here, but these people are so slow to reply it's like they don't want to sell anything...

They have so many fancy types of hide - I want to go for the cheapest I can, but I don't know what's suitable or not for moccasins.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2011, 02:22:21 am »
You could find out what soft star are made from.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:32 am »
He sent me a catalogue which includes a glossary of terms so all's good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk