Author Topic: Shoes roundup  (Read 56902 times)

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes roundup
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2011, 07:21:48 am »
I'm still sold on SoftStars.  I've worn the same leather pair with the thin 2 mm sole I bought last summer all winter.  They've held up well, and although the sole is starting to get smooth in a few places from wear they are lasting much longer than I'd expected.  I've even ran in them a few times this winter, although most of my running has continued to be barefoot.  They worked reasonably well for hunting, although I ended up hunting barefoot much of the time as well just because I could be quieter that way.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2011, 10:17:34 am »
That's good to hear. Isn't the 2mm sole smooth to begin with?

It looks that way in the image they show:

I ask because I would like the grip of the rough sole but would also prefer the thinness of the 2mm sole, so a grippy 2mm sole would be perfect for me, but I wasn't aware that they sold that or that it was even possible to make a sole that thin rough.

I was also thinking of getting either the suede or smooth leather instead of the perforated, so as to keep dirt/pebbles out of the shoe and for warmth in winter. I'm thinking that the smooth leather might be more water resistant than the suede, though the suede looks better. I'm guessing that you have the perforated version. How has the dirt/pebbles issue been for you?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:26:33 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2011, 01:29:19 am »
Has anyone tried these?

http://shop.zemgear.com/

I was thinking they might be nice for running in.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2011, 02:26:43 am »
Would they stop broken glass?

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2011, 02:29:25 am »
Would they stop broken glass?

I don't know, that's why I am asking.  I may go ahead and order them.  If I do, I will post a review here.  Although, with shoes you have to give them time, they could always fall apart in 6 months.  So I will wait until I have had time to use them a good deal.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2011, 05:23:35 am »
...Isn't the 2mm sole smooth to begin with?

I can see how they look smooth, but in fact they have a very subtle texture to them that gives them amazing traction on all surfaces, even black ice.  

I own a pair of the perforated, and admittedly haven't had problems with dirt and pebbles getting into the shoe.  The solid shoes are warmer in winter, but I've walked around wearing my perforated pair even when temps dipped below zero (Fahrenheit) and my feet have stayed warm while wearing a decent pair of wool socks.  And certainly if you run in them your feet will stay warm, because their muscles will constantly be flexing and pushing new, warm blood through your foot.

I will admit that the suede version isn't particularly water resistant.  The design of the shoe doesn't allow for much water resistance regardless of the material though, as there is a vertical slit at the sides that drops nearly to the sole.  I suppose you could sew that shut if you wanted to, but that might make it harder to get the shoe on.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:49 am »
So you prefer the suede version?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 07:10:18 am »
I have a pair in the suede version, but haven't owned a pair made with the smooth leather so am not in a good position to say the suede is 'better'.  I like the suede fine, but can't think of any reason why the smooth versions would be worse. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:50 am »
What about the suede vs. the perforated? Do you prefer one over the other or prefer having both, suited to different purposes?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2011, 07:38:28 am »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:20 am »
Hey, thanks mate!

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2011, 09:48:12 am »
I bought some to put on some hand tools but it never quite made it there. It has since dried up in the can.
Cheers
Al

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »
What about the suede vs. the perforated? Do you prefer one over the other or prefer having both, suited to different purposes?

I've bought both the suede and perforated, and prefer the suede. The perforated are black and the black dye in the leather seems to stain everything with any amount of moisture in it, including my skin and even toe nails. The suede stains a little if they get wet, but not remotely as bad.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2011, 01:35:28 am »
I've bought both the suede and perforated, and prefer the suede. The perforated are black and the black dye in the leather seems to stain everything with any amount of moisture in it, including my skin and even toe nails. The suede stains a little if they get wet, but not remotely as bad.
I've got the perforated and had the same issue for a while. After enough time though they have stopped staining anything for me.
Do you notice if the suede have much more insulation to them? I was thinking of getting a pair for the winter.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2011, 04:10:19 am »
The suede version are more insulating, though I think it is simply because they don't have holes in them and not so much because they were designed with insulation. Their leather is the same thickness as the perforated versions, as far as I can tell.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2011, 11:13:39 am »
http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page27/page27.html

Scroll down near the bottom for the 'Bison Bushcraft Boots'.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2011, 06:38:36 pm »
They look like a well made pair of boots. Wish they used thin vibram not tyre tread though. It's a step in the right direction but not flexible enough.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2013, 04:56:57 am »
I've been wearing some vibram KSOs and my feet(both heels and front) get sore from walking or running on paved roads, which is pretty much everywhere. And I'm definitely not overdoing it. I don't go for long runs in them or anything like that. Most of the time I just wear them to the store or things like that. I basically have to wear my thicker sandals most of the time now. I'm considering buying a shoe sole at a store and cutting it to fit inside so I have some more padding.

It seems like this problem would exist with any barefoot shoe.

I liked the vibrams mainly for their toe design which doesn't squeeze the front of the foot into an unnatural pointed shape like most shoes do. My toes have been obviously straightening out, the only problem is with the bottom of my feet getting sore. I used to run barefoot on grass when playing soccer as a kid and never had any problems. I'm pretty sure it's because of the hard paved roads and sidewalks everywhere. Odd that the guy running barefoot for miles on concrete in central park in that video doesn't seem to have the same problem...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:02:08 am by MaximilianKohler »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:32 am »
I've been wearing some vibram KSOs and my feet(both heels and front) get sore from walking or running on paved roads, which is pretty much everywhere. And I'm definitely not overdoing it. I don't go for long runs in them or anything like that. Most of the time I just wear them to the store or things like that. I basically have to wear my thicker sandals most of the time now. I'm considering buying a shoe sole at a store and cutting it to fit inside so I have some more padding.

I liked the vibrams mainly for their toe design which doesn't squeeze the front of the foot into an unnatural pointed shape like most shoes do. My toes have been obviously straightening out, the only problem is with the bottom of my feet getting sore. I used to run barefoot on grass when playing soccer as a kid and never had any problems. I'm pretty sure it's because of the hard paved roads and sidewalks everywhere. Odd that the guy running barefoot for miles on concrete in central park in that video doesn't seem to have the same problem...

Are your feet making contact toe-to-heel, or heel-to-toe?  If it's the latter, you may want to switch.  Other than that, I don't know. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2013, 05:49:39 am »
For me the main problem was concrete, which has less give than blacktop. I seem to handle concrete better since including more foods in my diet that reportedly strengthen connective tissues, some of which are not considered Paleo--marrow, bone broths (it's possible to make raw versions if one wishes), small fish bones, kosher gelatin, raw fermented cod liver oil, raw butter oil, and pastured cultured butter (not raw), and occasionally some supplements like Dr. Ron's Joint Support Forumla when I haven't been eating as much of these foods as usual. My dental health also improved.

I have Merrell, Vivo Barefoot and Soft Star RunAmoc with 5mm studded Trail sole. The Vivo Barefoots are my favorite to wear of any shoe I've tried, but they are not very durable. The Merrell's look more durable and are less expensive, so I'm currently wearing those as my work-day shoe. The RunAmoc's were disappointing. I bought them for when I need traction and because they were deeply discounted, but my problematic left foot tends to flop and become painful when wearing them unless I walk or run on soft surfaces like grass or soft dirt, where it does have better traction than the Vivo Barefoots. I think the problem is the sole, which is stiffer than the Vivo Barefoot sole, which is slippery enough that I've had some falls on wet mud and ice. I'll bet the 2mm soles are better. I've added insole padding to see if that helps. The Merrell sole is also stiff, but the shoe has more cushioning, so that's probably why that shoe doesn't give me the problem. Unfortunately, the Merrell's are not as enjoyable to wear as the Vivo Barefoots, so I still haven't tried my ideal shoe yet.

I've received negative feedback once or twice on the appearance of the Vivo Barefoot (someone told me they looked like clown-shoes because of the wide toe area, which they somewhat do, but it doesn't bother me because I like the wide toe box, and I've been allowed to wear them at work--I've also seen people make the "clown shoe" remark about Vibram Five Fingers shoes) and Softstar shoes (toes poke up rather obviously in the supersoft top). Merrell shoes look more like conventional shoes, so I haven't gotten any negative remarks, but the downside is they are less like true barefoot-style shoes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:02:24 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2013, 06:39:22 am »

Hi MK,
for what its worth, I would shelve the vibrams (or equivalent 'barefoot' shoes) for the time.
Let your feet get to know the concrete more intimately still. I find the feet need time to adjust, to relate directly to the terrain sans any rubber at all.  ;)
 As they start to be more intimate with the ground, they will naturally relate more efficiently, gently, yet with great assurance.
I am a longtime Vibram wearer, I spend much time completely barefoot on all terrains.
For me it did take some adjustment, an acclimatisation, a courtship period with the ground if you will.
But it was definitely worth it, as my regular comments here about my biomechanical improvements attest to.
Just last week I took a guest on a 4 hour hike in the mountains through rocky terrain, completely barefoot. Folk passing on the trial, looked at my non-shoe status with horror, but then - ha! ha! - I looked at their chunky, heavy boots in a similar manner. ;D
Kind wishes, J

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2013, 10:20:20 am »
It was time for a new pair of shoes and, unfortunately, Merrell no longer makes the slant glove shoe that was the best shoe I have worn so far that I could wear to work. The closest thing they have now is the jungle glove, which is narrower, has a higher arch, and a thicker sole. It is less comfortable as a result. It also has a chemical added to kill bacteria. All these are bad changes. They screwed up an excellent product. I guess it'll do for now and I'll try to use it as an incentive to walk barefoot more often.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:44 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Barefoot-Slant-Glove/dp/B00750HRF4

I have a similar shoe made by Windriver.

Get some moccassins :)
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2013, 06:05:36 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-Barefoot-Slant-Glove/dp/B00750HRF4
Thanks, but that link unfortunately shows the shoe to be "Currently unavailable," like I said.

I have a similar shoe made by Windriver.
What is it?

Get some moccassins :)
I haven't found any good moccasins that were priced reasonably.

Merrell Customer service said the Radius Glove is closer to the Slant Glove, but it looks a bit too odd to wear to work. I may consider it for casual wear. Unfortunately, it also has the higher arch of the Jungle Glove. A high shoe arch is counter to the whole point of a barefoot shoe.   :o
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/28981M/69196/Mens/Barefoot-Life-Radius-Glove?dimensions=0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:25:26 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk