Author Topic: How to be more likeable as Raw Paleo Dieters?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
How to be more likeable as Raw Paleo Dieters?
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:59 am »
How can raw paleo dieters like us become more likeable?  

We do need to socialize somehow for business, connections, friendships etc.

We have to admit from the point of view of the majority of the people, including cooked meat paleo dieters, we are VERY ECCENTRIC or probably BLOODY WEIRDos.

Plus the fact that we are very opinionated does not sit well with many people.

Plus the fact that people cannot just invite us to any party or restaurant as they know we cannot be impressed that way.

Plus the fact that western medicine adherents would totally freak out at how opposite a lot of our mindset is from their disease and drug picture.

Many things.

Please chime in with your 2 cents.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: How to be more likeable as Raw Paleo Dieters?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:11 am »
My thought is that thinking purely in terms of an individual's dietary habits is extremely limiting.

I come here to find info as well as share info & experiences, but being a raw foodist who consumes raw meat (by whatever name anyone wishes to put on that) is hardly the whole - or even a major part - of who I am. That said, why would I address the world "as a raw foodist" or "as a paleo dieter"?
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:58:26 am »
    I don't mind a debate.  If they feel so irritated when debating, I might wonder what's eating them.  They must have parasites in their bodies.  People do like me.  I don't have to force anyone to like me.  If they dislike, that is them disliking.  Should I pretend I don't eat raw meat to suit their fantasy?  It's unhealthy to play up to delusional people who might be requesting you to do that.  I'm not sure about this.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:31 am »
I compromise by eating the least-bad thing available when I have to, and I don't lecture or criticize people who have no interest in it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:47 am »
I always find that threatening people physically is an excellent way to get them to show more respect. -d

Just kidding.  Seriously, who cares?  I don't eat this diet because TylerDurden is a great guy.  I eat it because it works.  That's what draws people to the diet. Sure, there are some people who are attracted to things because of the person selling/teaching those things...but those people are weak and foolish, and easily swayed.  We are mostly strong-willed here, and we, mostly, have come to understand that evidence and proof are all that matter in the area of health/diet.  The leaders of a movement aren't necessarily the same types of people as the stragglers and late-comers, and, right now, we still mostly need leaders, I think, which basically means...more eccentric, strong-willed, evidence-focused empiricists.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:14:51 am »
Not preaching or bragging about Raw Paleo might be a good start. Nothing is more annoying then a diet supremacist. What ever diet they are following. When volunteering info like "xxx is bad for you.xxx has to many anti-nutrients.xxx causes cancer growth". It just angers me, I'm sure others feel the same way.

I don't talk about my diet unless someone ask.When offered food I'll normally say, I already ate. I believe it's an insult to decline food if you are a guess. And when asked about what I ate. I talk about it nonchalantly. Bring up stuff like I read xxx culture ate this way so I figured I'd be adventuring & tried it & really liked it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »
Well, on a personal level, I find it rather un-British to focus too much on diet as a sense of identity - I
I mean  all those Primal Potlucks and the like are essentially a US thing, not even the raw vegans in the UK are that organised(I think?) That said, I think it would be a great idea to have more rawpalaeo forums(or just more raw animal food-related forums in general) plus more blogs(there are increasingly quite a few along with plentiful youtube videos of raw-meat-eating) - ideally, we could do with some regular interviews with the media like the one that was made a while back to the Times) Also, I've mentioned the notion of rawpalaeo meetups(would be very useful for rawpalaeo newbies) .

What I'd REALLY like to see is a raw animal food and vegetable restaurant in London and other capital cities! If that happens, we've made it. It would even appeal to people who don't usually eat raw meats - for example, there's a big sushi/sashimi craze going on in the last 5-10 years, and there are many restaurants now offering exotic fare such as crococile meat/kangaroo meat for those uninterested in the usual(Italian/Chinese etc.) cuisine.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:51 pm »
Tyler - I'd be happy if I could just order what I like at ANY restaurant without someone saying "but we're required by law to cook the fish, sir".

DeadRamones - I totally agree. However, I have found that when people do ask, they sometimes get more obsessive about what I eat than I am. I have some family & friends who constantly tell me I'm going to get parasites, for example, even though I've eaten raw meats for all of my adult life and before (I'm in my 40s now).

They also bring up the topic and when I answer, accuse me of being preachy when they don't like the answer. Example:

Them - "Why don't you eat bread?"

Me - "Well, I have a simple rule: if you can't eat it raw, don't eat it at all."

Them - "But WHY?"

Then I'll say something about gluten, for example, or humans surviving just fine for 100,000 years without eating wheat & how it can be traced to all manner of current health issues.

Them - "Well sorry we can't all be as manly as you with your raw meat and...", and then mumble something about how obsessed I am.

I examined my responses because I was confused by their reaction, but I've noticed that when they stop trying to change my views, they no longer think I'm being as ass when I answer a simple question.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:26 pm »
Tyler - I'd be happy if I could just order what I like at ANY restaurant without someone saying "but we're required by law to cook the fish, sir".

While some sushi chains probably do heat their raw fish a bit, sashimi restaurants should be fine re obtaining genuinely raw fish(just visit ones frequented and run by japanese people).

Them - "Well sorry we can't all be as manly as you with your raw meat and...", and then mumble something about how obsessed I am.

Re manly quote:- Yes, it's quite funny how much  raw animal food in general is seen as having aphrodisiac properties in most cultures.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:00 pm »
Yeah, but I'd like to be able to eat raw tuna at the steak house instead of the manager arguing that he has to cook it at 160 degrees (or whatever it is), but acknowledging that he can bring me a raw (or very rare) hunk of steak.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 04:46:36 am »
Raw animal food restaurant would be nice. But I'm sure it won't ever happen. To much liability & someone will most likely try to sue. Unless it's like a hibachi style where you pick the raw pieces & hand them to the chef to cook in front of you.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:34 am »
Who cares? I do this diet for myself, and I couldn't care less if others follow. The only thing I care about is that I have access to the foods I want at a reasonable price, as long as I have that everyone can eat whatever they want.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:23 am »
Three years on and I rarely talk about it, no one cares, people will find you more likable for the fact you eat raw and don't talk about it.
Also I will eat socially, not an issue. Just eat a little bit, I choose cooked meat mainly. You may get a food hangover but don't be a hypochondriac over it.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk