Author Topic: Krill oil  (Read 21271 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Krill oil
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »
Well, it's possible the info could be wrong, but if you loathe him then there doesn't seem much point in buying from him.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:04 am »
do you really think all those 'Doctors' give a crap about our well being? it is all about money.  however their good intentions might have been in the beginning, all of it has been replaced by money and more money.

all of them are the same, Mercola, Graham, Campbell, etc., they tell us things we want to hear and sell us things we want to buy.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 09:52:22 am »
To recap, be careful about krill oil brands where it's claimed that they're "cold-extracted". That doesn't guarantee that the process is a natural one. All but one of the cold-extracted brands that I've seen use "cold-extracted" to mean that toxic solvents like ethanol or acetone are used. For example, acetone is used by Neptune Technologies in their NKO krill oil (see http://www.stockhouse.com/Bullboards/MessageDetail.aspx?s=NTB&t=LIST&m=27746653&l=0&pd=0&r=0 and http://www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale-1178620753812_1211902333142.htm) There are even rumors that one or more manufacturers may use hexane.

The only brand I've seen it claimed is processed without solvents or heat is Cyvex's KriaXanthin. KriaXanthin is about half as potent as the most potent brands (and less than half the cost), which makes sense, because the harsh extremes solvent and heat processing are not used to extract every bit of phospholipids. I don't get the sense that the krill oil industry is heavily regulated, so there's no guarantee that the claims about KriaXanthin are true, but at least the claims of natural processing are made.

I just received my first order of KriaXanthin and will give it a try. The equivalent of TD's 4 doses /day of Mercola's brand of Aker krill oil is 7 doses of KriaXanthin. However, I also take raw fermented CLO and vitamin D3, so I think I'll try 4 doses /day of the KriaXanthin for now.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »
7 doses? Ok, I'll get that next time.

*Just looked at 1 of the Kriaxanthin links and saw "75% off" being promoted. Sounds too good to be true!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:43:28 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 05:29:45 am »
Yeah, my math worked out to 7 KriaXanthin servings (softgels) having about equal doses of omega 3's as 4 of Mercola's Aker krill oil servings. The krill oil industry is fairly new, so I wonder what other bad news we'll learn about it in the future, but your results do intrigue me.

Peter of Hyperlipid has suggested in the past that the vitamin A and D in CLO might reduce the potential for negative side effects from omega 3 overdose via ordinary fish (or presumably krill) oil. Peter didn't have a source at hand at the time, though. I would think that vitamin K2 would also offset some risks like nosebleeds and easy bruising. Have you gotten any such symptoms from your krill oil intake?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:35:48 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »
No, nothing like that - not even when I consumed 8 of the mercola krill-oil tablets a day at one point.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 10:12:03 pm »
I think you stopped taking CLO once you started taking krill oil, yes? My guess all along has been that the concerns of Peat and Peskin about omega 3's are way overblown (one clue is that the foods they recommend instead of omega-3-rich foods include substandard, non-Paleo, non-raw foods). It doesn't make much sense that a nutrient that was rich in one of the original staple foods of hominins--brains--would be toxic to humans at relatively low doses. I think Peat and Peskin probably haven't thought much about the role of brains in the history of the human diet.

I don't rule out, however, Peter's and KGH's concerns about overdoses of omega 3's potentially causing problems if not offset by vitamins A and D3 and I suspect that nose bleeds are an early indicator of overdosing, as they are the only symptom I've ever gotten from high dose omega 3 intake. Plus, I was eating cooked and carby foods at the time, including nightshades (which Dr. Cordain recently published a 3-part article on the dangers of) and squashes, which I have since learned have negative effects on me. Since going raw Paleo I have been able to consume large quantities of omega 3's without getting the nose bleeds, which used to be mostly limited to my left nostril. So I suspect that either my left nostril had a weakness that has healed or I am less susceptible now to problems from high omega 3 intake--possibly in part because of the CLO I take, as Peter suggested, but possibly also due to the RPD that you and I are eating.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 02:29:34 am »
Well, I stopped taking the raw clo from Blue Ice around last year, I think. Didn't feel the need as it doesn't have much omega-3s in it.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk