Author Topic: List of traditional raw meat dishes  (Read 52159 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: List of traditional raw meat dishes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:46:20 am »
i like this thread! 

my diet is no longer raw meat, it's carpaccio and steak tartare :D

that's waaaaayyyyyy more socially acceptable, classy even!

William

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:58:07 am »
Jerky

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »
There's also "bplaa raa" a Thai rotting raw fish dish.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:35:15 pm »
Yes! Perhaps the mods can maintain the list of links as a sticky since this may be helpful to many!

jerky
Russian fish diets

I wasn't sure about cured raw meats. Some don't consider cured meats to be truly raw. Bplaa raa falls into this category, as does gravlax and lox - the list would be longer but I nixed anything that was obviously cured.

Thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:56:10 pm by livingthelife »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 04:08:54 am »
I thought that bplaa raa wasn't cured - are you sure?

At any rate, add another raw meat dish to the list:- "muktuk"= "rotting raw whale meat(perhaps including raw whale blubber?)

I'll make this a sticky topic and may add this on rawpaleodiet.com in future.

Oh, and please add the various entries/descriptions of any newly added raw animal food dishes to the first post, thanks.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:05:16 am »
I thought that bplaa raa wasn't cured - are you sure?

"Bplaa raa starts as an assortment of freshwater fish, whatever's been pulled up with the net. After being cleaned the fish are packed with salt and rice bran or powdered rice in big, rounded earthenware jars called hai saen. The jars are covered and left outside for anywhere from six months to two years. A strong sun will hurry things along."
http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2006/08/a_sublime_stenc.html

Does that mean it's cured? Soaked in brine? I thought so, but maybe I'm wrong.

please add the various entries/descriptions of any newly added raw animal food dishes to the first post, thanks.

I don't know how to do this. My "modify" link disappears once someone has replied to a post.

muktuk

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 05:41:06 pm »
"Bplaa raa starts as an assortment of freshwater fish, whatever's been pulled up with the net. After being cleaned the fish are packed with salt and rice bran or powdered rice in big, rounded earthenware jars called hai saen. The jars are covered and left outside for anywhere from six months to two years. A strong sun will hurry things along."
http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2006/08/a_sublime_stenc.html

Does that mean it's cured? Soaked in brine? I thought so, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess that counts as "cured". I think we can include cured, raw meats on the list.

I don't know how to do this. My "modify" link disappears once someone has replied to a post.

muktuk

I forgot. We should perhaps just continue with the list and I'll add in the links by modifying your original post, if that's OK(only moderators have the ability to modify posts at any time, for various reasons).
" Ron Paul.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:34:54 pm »
I forgot. We should perhaps just continue with the list and I'll add in the links by modifying your original post, if that's OK

Yes, do it!

gravlax
lox
quail egg
bplaa raa
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:10:45 am by livingthelife »

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:40:45 pm »

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 01:07:49 am »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:09:54 am »
You guys ever watch this guy on the Discovery Channel......goes around the world tasting bizarre foods. Sometimes raw meat dishes.

http://www.youtube.com/show/bizarrefoods

carnivore

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:49 pm »
Has anybody tried bplaa raa or anyother fermented fish sauce (http://importfood.com/sppa0801.html) as a starter to ferment fish ?
If I mix some fresh fish with this sauce, and let it in a closed jar for a few weeks, will it ferment the fish ?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 06:01:08 am »
Has anybody tried bplaa raa or anyother fermented fish sauce (http://importfood.com/sppa0801.html) as a starter to ferment fish ?
If I mix some fresh fish with this sauce, and let it in a closed jar for a few weeks, will it ferment the fish ?

Results?

Offline nummytummy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:47:31 am »
what about larb? raw meat salad from Laos

Offline Sudeshmishra

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 12:34:58 pm »
Hello guys!
I like this thread,
I also like raw meat dishes and I like two dishes very much:-
1-Conch
2-Chee kufta

Your thread inform me for more dishes of raw meat and I want to try all dishes one by one,
Thanks for sharing.....

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:56 pm »
Your thread inform me for more dishes of raw meat and I want to try all dishes one by one,
Thanks for sharing.....

Thank you!

http://tinyurl.com/2fvw8so, now I would like to find an Armenian restaurant or visit Armenia or meet an Armenian person to make this with.

How are you eating the conch?  As a sashimi? Sushi?  Salad?

I wish kitfo and kufta and kibbe didn't have wheat in them, but I'm glad that each culture that has these raw dishes also has dishes without grain mixed in the main dish.  Oh, I see the OP mentioned all these at the opening post.  

At Ethiopian places I get gorrad gorrad and Lebanese I get habra nayee, specially made, the spices on the side, the way they prefer it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »
I used to eat raw kufta from the Mediterranean restaurant where I order my meat, When I started this diet I loved the flavor of lamb minced with garlic and parsly, but once I got more adapted to paleo I began to find that any garlic was overwhelming. The Jordanians who run it let me order a raw kufta kabob for three dollars a piece(a good deal considering the quality) they still insist that lamb is a cleaner animal than beef and that while lamb is acceptable to eat raw, they tried to tell me that beef isn't safe to eat raw, after ordering and eatting over 400 pounds of raw beef over the past 11 months, I think I proved that notion wrong. I will still stop in and order a rare kufta for my kids occasionally but I no longer like the taste.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »
I was looking at this book at a used book store:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Eat-What-Are-Traditions/dp/1552093654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299246886&sr=8-1

There was no mention of raw meats in any of the cuisines!  I find it difficult to believe that the authors simply overlooked every raw dish that is commonly eaten, I thought raw dishes were pretty ubiquitous.  Even in America, which I thought had no traditional raw dishes, we have jerky and pemmican.

Ryan

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 11:02:20 pm »
There was no mention of raw meats in any of the cuisines!  I find it difficult to believe that the authors simply overlooked every raw dish that is commonly eaten, I thought raw dishes were pretty ubiquitous.  Even in America, which I thought had no traditional raw dishes, we have jerky and pemmican.
Ryan
  Pemmican isn't raw, jerky is only raw if heated at 104 degrees Fahrenheit/40 degress Centigrade or below.
" Ron Paul.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:08:44 pm »
  Pemmican isn't raw, jerky is only raw if heated at 104 degrees Fahrenheit/40 degress Centigrade or below.

My mistake, I read somewhere that it was.  If you read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

A sun drying method is suggested, in which case the pemmican may be raw.  I suppose it can go both ways (like jerky nowadays).

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 11:24:42 pm »
In order for pemmican to last long enough, it HAS to be heated way, way above that 40/104 degrees limit, so can't be raw. The whole point of making pemmican is to make it last forever, so making it at a far lower temp is utterly pointless - might as well just eat it raw without the bother of any further processing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:51:47 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:32:01 pm »
In order for pemmican to last long enough, it HAS to be heated way, way above that 40/104 degrees limit, so can't be raw. The whole point o making pemmican is to make it last forever, so making it at a far lower temp is utterly pointless - might as well just eat it raw without the bother of any further processing.

So raw jerky doesn't last very long?  How long does it last?

I have been considering keeping my meat in a fridge instead of a freezer, but there is the issue of it keeping.  I am about to order 200lbs. of grass-fed beef, and need to decide whether to get a second fridge to put it in or use my freezer.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 11:53:16 pm »
Jerky, I think can last very long and without needing to be heated much. You'd have to ask the RZCers though as they seem more into this processing gimmick for various reasons re storage.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 02:36:28 am »
i wouldn't advise jerky as a staple, and me personally, i am better off not eating at all than eating even 'raw' jerky.  making jerky out of delicious, fresh grass-fed meat is as much a shame as cooking it. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:33:29 am by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk