Author Topic: Benefits of Parasites  (Read 17715 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Benefits of Parasites
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:13:21 am »
Parasites
Radiolab
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2009/09/25
This 1 hour program discusses among other things the fascinating story of how the USA started getting oversanitized shortly before a big jump in autoimmune-related illnesses like asthma in the late 1800s and how Jasper Lawrence learned about the Hygiene Hypothesis and helminthic therapy and as a result put his asthma into remission by infecting himself with hookworm parasites, and he now sells hookworms.

Helminthic Therapy: How to put your Asthma, Colitis, IBD, Crohn's or Multiple Sclerosis into remission with hookworm.

http://www.asthmahookworm.com/

Summary

An important relationship exists between parasite infections and the development of atopic disorders. Long-lived parasite infections offer protection against atopic diseases like asthma, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis and hayfever by immunosuppression. This knowledge is the basis for helminthic therapy, the deliberate inoculation or infection of an atopic individual with helminths to achieve remission for their disorder, such as those listed above. They induce modulatory molecules that ameliorate host responses to enhance their survival. The precise linking element's are not known but both eosinophils and IgE globulins that occur so prominently in both disorders may be crucial to this relationship. Understanding the immunology of the host-parasite interaction and identifying the distinct parasite molecules with the immunomodulating effects may help to combat allergy more successfully.

The hygiene hypothesis re-emphasized the inverse relationship between infection and allergy. Helminth research has once again provided key insights into the possible immunological explanation. The initial Th1-Th2 dichotomy provided the earliest immunological explanation for the hypothesis but there are major discrepancies. Several researchers have forwarded alternative immunological concepts in an attempt to better explain the original hygiene hypothesis. Modified Th-2 responses seen in parasite infections may provide protective 'blocking IgG4 globulins' that inhibit allergic responses. Protective programming of the fetal immune system by exposure to early infections or other environmental factors may be the critical factor against later atopic conditions. The identification of superantigens in the development of atopic skin lesions provides further insight into this interesting relationship. Research may well show that allergy is an unfortunate by-product of an evolutionary mechanism developed to combat bacteria, parasites and other organisms. We have come around in a full circle. Allergy started with the study of infections and today we still look at infections for answers to allergic conditions. The exact link between allergy and infection may provide a means of effective and successful treatment of these two important human problems. Alternative approaches such as the use of Mycobacterium vaccae, Th1 adjuvants such as IL-12 or the use of immunostimulatory nucleotides (CpG) are examples of potential new therapies

Parasite Rex by Carl Zimmer:
Looks like a good book about parasites, including their beneficial effects

Hippity hop! Where to stop?, November 14, 2004
By    Stephen A. Haines (Ottawa, Ontario Canada)

.... Zimmer cites Robin Dunbar's thesis that grooming for parasites ultimately allowed humans to develop speech and language. He explains how our immune systems and parasites enter a modus vivendi that allows the parasite and host alike to survive. Recognising how that process evolved could lead to better coexistence through "taming" the invaders.

Coexistence with these minute creatures turns out to have many implications. It's now clear that the development of agriculture made human society vulnerable to invaders unknown on the savannah. Human bodies became less robust and mortality rates rose. ....
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Benefits of Parasites
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:44:22 am »
Interesting reading - thanx for sharing!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:44:04 am »
Yes, and pretty ironic that some parasites might actually be good for us (at least some people), rather than bad.

You're welcome SkinnyDevil!
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

alphagruis

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:30:37 am »
When parasites are good for their host one should actually call them symbionts. Symbiosis as for bacteria on our skin or in our gut.

Apparently such "infections" become useful when the host is poisoned by inappropriate food. Crohn's disease for instance is induced by grain poisons such as gluten. Hookworm infection prevents it. Why?

Rather than a tricky immunological explanation, a simpler interesting explanation might be that hookworms are actually capable to use these poisons, here gluten or its degradation products, as food. What's poison for us is food for them and their mere presence  may just keep the poison level low enough to avoid Crohn's disease.

Similar reasoning about "useful infections" with bacteria or viruses as well was put forward many years ago by GC Burger, the inventor of instinctotherapy.   

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:32:11 am »
this is a great read. this guy eats raw salmon and deer that he catches. this is his take on parasites. very interesting.
http://goingferal.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/parasites-those-who-inhabit-us/

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:52:17 am »
Brilliant writing. Absolutely brilliant!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:58:10 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »
this is a great read. this guy eats raw salmon and deer that he catches. this is his take on parasites. very interesting.
http://goingferal.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/parasites-those-who-inhabit-us/

Nice one.

"too many visits to the cake dumpster and those-who-inhabit-you will go crazy!"

what does this slang mean?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:43:09 pm »
It means that eating shitty food like cakes and pies will upset your parasites and they will turn on you.
That's not paleo.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:37:47 pm »
Good find. Lots to read.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:37 pm »
There are THREE cases against and only ONE in favour of parasites in this radioshow. Isn't it cherry picking? Why nobody mentions lethargy and reduced work productivity of the physically slow and sickly pale southerns? Why nobody points to the Professor David Pritchard's experiment on how 10 worms were tolerated when 50 put him "out of commission"? And how about the link between Toxoplasma infection and schizophrenia? It's not just about having parasites and being healthy. There must be the balance...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:43:31 pm by rawlion »
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »
I think it's probably because most people already assume that all parasites are harmful, so sources like those above balance that out and show that some are beneficial. Few folks have your level of knowledge on parasites, Yuri. Plus the RadioLab show DID mention the lethargy and reduced work productivity of US Southerners, which is what led to the whole war on parasites (for lack of a better term) to begin with, which they explained in exploring the history of the topic. The downside of this war on parasites is that recent evidence suggests it led to increased rates of asthma and other chronic illnesses. Did you listen to the whole RadioLab program? The section that includes discussion of topics you said "nobody mentions" begins at 22:00.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:51:36 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:12 pm »
Of course the asthma example shows us how beneficial it may be to coexist with parasites. However, there are three other cases in this same radioshow linking parasites to diminished health. I wonder why it was omitted in this clearly pro-parasitic post...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:40 pm »
Again, because most folks are already view most or all parasites as negative. The only news is the beneficial ones, which rarely get covered. The RadioLab show was the first mainstream coverage outside of the Internet that I've ever encountered. How many positive stories about parasites have you encountered in TV, radio or newspapers?

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:34 pm »
None of course. And I have to admit that this show is the best one I have ever heard. It's simply fascinating! Thanks for posting it, Phil.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:57:04 pm »
You're welcome, Yuri!

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:01:26 pm »
By the way, there is an update on hookworms...

"If you heard our Parasites show, then you’ve heard the story of how one man–Jasper Lawrence–turned his passion for hookworms into a business (Jasper deliberately infected himself with hookworms to combat allergies and asthma).

Pat Walters, who first introduced us to Jasper, wondered how the modern-day entrepreneur was faring—were orders flying in? Did people really want to buy hookworms? So he called Jasper up…and discovered he had big news: he’d had a visit from the FDA..."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:15:51 pm »
Wow, the feds have really made things difficult for him. I'm not surprised, nor was he. It's going to take quite a societal paradigm change for helminthic therapy, raw Paleo diets and other sensible approaches to be adopted on a large scale.

An update on hookworms
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/

Jasper Lawrence's hookworm company
http://autoimmunetherapies.com/

On the bright side, it looks like Jasper's story and some recent research reports have inspired quite a bit of mainstream media coverage:

http://autoimmunetherapies.com/helminthic_therapy_news.html

"Although it was testing for safety, not efficacy, Prof Pritchard said that many of the patients in a hay fever trial had opted not to have the worms removed with tablets at the end because they had seen an improvement in their symptoms." http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/sep/15/healthandwellbeing
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:23:08 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 11:24:02 pm »
Yuri, they didnt say that the southerners were lazy because of hookworm, they just used hookworm as the excuse for their lack of caring aboot whatever they wanted them to do.
That's not paleo.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 11:33:07 pm »
Please let's be careful on a potentially sensitive issue--Yuri said "lethargy", not "lazy". It's been a while since I listened to the program, but I do recall the history saying that the investigators who were looking for the cause of Southern lethargy did decide it was caused by hookworm and did find that it was reduced with the installation of deep latrines. The downside, of course, was the increase in asthma and other chronic illnesses.

What the RadioLab program didn't cover was that another factor in the lethargy may have been low-quality, grain-based diets. If the Southerners had been eating well they may not have developed lethargy from the hookworms even if we assume the investigators were right in connecting the lethargy to the hookworms. I don't know of any raw Primal or raw Paleo dieters who have reported acquiring lethargy from eating potentially-parasite-carrying foods like raw meats or fish. Nor does Jasper Lawrence report lethargy in himself or any of his patients. It could be that a healthy diet enables people to better handle symbionts like hookworms.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:40:41 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 01:36:19 am »
Well when I got the ol' Bever fever or giardias or whatever you wnat to call it, they say you're going to be sick for about 3 weeks.. Both my wife and I were only feeling smacked around for 2-3 days.

We do notice that if we get sick, our appetite for meat drops and we prefer plant based stuff. 

Like when I had the giardias I was like 'no, no meat..' and I would eat a grapefruit or two a day while my wife laughed at me and called me a pussy.. then two days later when it grabbed her she was going 'no... no meat' and would just eat a grapefruit too...  three uncomfortable days later we were fine again.

It might not be the fruit that we're after though, probably just the liquids, since we both are not fans of water, we think now you would drink Blood -> fruit -> water  as preferance.  So we drink fruit these days, but then again after one or two grapefruit your mouth feels messed up so your body limits you haha.

We also took oregano oil at first because you know, you have evil parasites right?  looking back the adaption to the giardia parasite might have been much smoother if we just let things happen instead of KILL IT!!! OMG ITS TRYING TO KILL ME!!  I think we may have made things worse fighting it.

I lost what my point was, i think it had to do with raw paleo = symbiote, S.A.D = Parasite?
That's not paleo.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 01:49:05 am »
The downside of this war on parasites is that recent evidence suggests it led to increased rates of asthma and other chronic illnesses.

I think Alexander technique breathing can get rid of asthma attacking in most cases.  I imagine it can change your relationship with parasites too.

The asthma sufferer’s real problem
… is not the physical fact of constricted bronchioles — or even inflammation.

These are secondary problems, mere symptoms, in fact. Symptoms of their reaction to feeling unable to breathe.

Their reaction is what constricts the bronchioles.

Their reaction to feeling constricted is what makes them constrict their airways even further
… and this is what makes them less able to breathe than ever. [footnote].

This habitual reaction is just about the worst possible.
If instead they had reacted to the feeling of breathlessness by refraining from making any effort to breathe, the problem would have automatically sorted itself out.

Their air passages would have relaxed and dilated and they would have allowed their respiratory muscles to release and let the stale air out. This would have left room for a new supply of fresh air.

Without the Alexander Technique, this isn’t easily done, though.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:36 am »
   I think Alexander technique breathing can get rid of asthma attacking in most cases.  I imagine it can change your relationship with parasites too.

I'm not sure how your comment relates to the thread topic--do you understand the point that hookworms were found to be beneficial for asthma even without the Alexander technique or any other technique? Granted, there are other treatments, including RPD, but this thread is about parasites.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 02:43:41 am »
I'm not sure how your comment relates to the thread topic--do you understand the point that hookworms were found to be beneficial for asthma even without the Alexander technique or any other technique? Granted, there are other treatments, including RPD, but this thread is about parasites.

As I posted it, I was thinking it didn't fit perfectly.  Sorry.  I feel everything does tie in though.  Maybe I shouldn't post when I'm too much in the midst of other things to explain how it might tie in.  I do appreciate your thoughtful long posts.

As far as RPD and some new breathing technique, sure, Alexander wasn't born yet in Paleo times.  I'm sure Paleo time people breathed different than SAD people though.  I didn't mean to ruin your thread.

Anyway, I've seen people die from asthma, young "healthy" strong people.  I would hope they use anything at their disposal, not just paleo ways or parasites to get better.    
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 05:27:10 am »

Anyway, I've seen people die from asthma, young "healthy" strong people.  I would hope they use anything at their disposal, not just paleo ways or parasites to get better.    

They've been trained to not use anything at their disposal, for instance smokers tend not to get asthma, and these people might rather die than smoke. They might also rather die than deliberately have hookworms, but if hookworms cure asthma, might they not also solve whatever problem inspires people to smoke?

I would try hookworms if I could get them. Maybe cheaper than tobacco.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 05:50:46 am »
Where is this from that smoking not only does not cause, but prevents asthma? As virtually all information on asthma is that smoking causes and exacerbates it even if the initial cause is of factory/asbestos, nature.

Everyone I knew growing up that had childhood asthma, grew up around second-hand smoke.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk