Author Topic: Jerky Temp  (Read 7773 times)

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Jerky Temp
« on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:34 am »
Just for the record, I checked with USWellnessMeats & their jerky is raw into the dehydrator and then dried at 115 degrees F.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Jerky Temp
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:13:55 am »
Did he actually say the Fahrenheit part?  I think there is a regulation for the temperature for drying meat for jerky, and it's much hight than this.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:29:49 am »
No, I don't think he did specify, but 115 C seems too hot (240 F)

I'll double-check. Thanks for bringing this up
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:18:52 am by livingthelife »

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:41 am »
If it's any help, the chart printed on the top of my Excalibur dehydrator states 145 F for drying meats / making jerky.  I assume from that there is no regulation stating it must be cooked at a higher temperature.  I would certainly see no reason why they'd dry it at 240 F?!   ???  Of course, it's still worth checking with them.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:55 am »
true, 240F does seem ridiculous.... I just didn't think 115 was allowed... great if it is and available!

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:35:24 am »
I will check. USWellness does promote raw foods and a good part of their market is the raw primal crowd - so I can believe that they'd use the lowest temp possible/allowed.

Incidentally, is 115 considered "raw?" That seems to fall within the range of "sun dried" ... borderline, I guess.

We do use their jerky. It's expensive but good. You can't always take raw wet meet to school, though it's done surreptitiously from time to time  ;)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:55:41 pm »
My guess is that US Wellness is not being totally forthcoming on the subject of the temperatures used in processing their jerky and dried meat products and it is just another case of John telling people what they want to hear.  USDA/FSIS have what is called a 'recommended leathality standard' for jerky that must be met.  There are several ways to meet this standard but the most common is to use moist heat (raising the temperature of the raw meat before drying) to a minimum of 160F and then continue drying at a temperature of 135F-145F until the desired moisture level has been reached.  Any processor not following these guidelines would be putting themselves at significant risk and could be ruined by a single lawsuit brought against them for salmonella or E. coli infection.  Here's a link to the FSIS document.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Compliance_Guideline_Jerky.pdf

The definition of Jerky in the Compliance Guideline document is a dry product that is shelf stable without refrigeration.  I suppose US Wellness could get around these guidelines by insisting that their end product be kept frozen (which they do for their pemmican).  My problem with believing this is that low temperature drying would almost mandate that every batch of jerky be tested for bacteria before it could be used or sold and this is very expensive.  Much cheaper to follow the guidelines.  John at US Wellness has also told me that the reason that their pemmican must be kept frozen is that they do not fully dehydrate the meat because it is too difficult to grind when fully dry.

You are free to believe whatever you wish, but I don't think that US Wellness or their processors would be willing to bypass USDA/FSIS guidlelines.  All it would take is one lawsuit for salmonella or e. coli contamination along with the fact that they purposely weren't followiing published guidelines and they would be toast.  Damages would be in the millions.

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »
The ideal maximum temperature would be 104 degrees Celsius. The max temp for Fahrenheit therefore would be 219.2
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:09:36 am »
Error! Make that 104° Fahrenheit/40°Celsius; more heat and the jerky is cooked.

USWellnessMeats jerky is not raw, as enzymes begin to be destroyed >104F.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 12:12:16 am »
Error! Make that 104° Fahrenheit/40°Celsius; more heat and the jerky is cooked.

Quite right, I wasn't thinking.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 12:31:17 am »

Thank you for clarifying. It doesn't look raw, it's dark brown.

Oh well. It will have to do for now until I get around to investigating an alternative.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 04:50:42 am »
Thank you for clarifying. It doesn't look raw, it's dark brown.

I'm not sure if the colour is significant.  I dry my beef for jerky at 95 F for 12-24hrs and it, too, is very dark brown.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk