Author Topic: Vit A and bone marrow  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Diana

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Vit A and bone marrow
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:13:22 pm »
Does bone marrow have any vitamin A?
Does broth made with bones provide any decent amount of vit A?
I just can not find the info, hope you can help out!

Diana

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Diana

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Vit A and bone marrow
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »
Thanks, I thought broth was at least the least harmful of all cooked foods.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »
You seem very set on upping your vitamin A Diana. Why not just increase your intake of liver a tiny bit? It should give you all you need.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Diana

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 12:50:25 am »
djr_81,

You are right. I need vitamin A because my liver is not able to convert all the beta-caroteen to vitamin A. I was trying to get away from meat and liver, just because of a severe mental aversion against animal flesh. However, yesterday we had a tiny bit of chicken liver raw (from our own free range chickens), besides a good bit of the chicken, fat and all, partly raw, partly cooked. As for me: never again. Today we had a good amount of goat liver. The taste is fine, it is just the mental thing which is bothering me. Anyway, we have decided to go for the goat or lamb liver for the time being, because out here I can not get any safe cod liver oil. I checked the pharmacy today and all they had was a light colored oil in transparent plastic bottles, which I don't trust. We also supplement with raw egg yolks, but that does not give sufficient vit A on its own.

Diana

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:30:43 am »
Thanks, I thought broth was at least the least harmful of all cooked foods.

Broth is the least worst of cooked foods, as long as you drink the water. Even if you do so, the very process of cooking seriously depletes the vitamin- and mineral-content of the food. In short, you're far better off eating vitamin-A-rich raw foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:30:27 am »
You would probably be better off, rather than trying to 'work around the system', you worked on your 'mental aversion' to the liver.. You can change the way you think, but you cant really change the necessities of your life.
That's not paleo.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »
You can get if from egg yolks or cod liver oil.  Eggs are pretty cheap, I can easily eat 3 cartons a day. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk