Author Topic: acceptable substitute?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
acceptable substitute?
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:25:17 am »
my adrenal glands are shot and i have premature ovarian failure, among other ailments, but i dont have a consistant source for anything other than beef and chicken livers.....
i bought some bovine ovary, adrenal, pituitary and thyroid supplements from standard process, i am wondering if anyone has any experience taking something similar or if they have any efficacy?  i know that having the actual gland to munch on is ideal but i am s.o.l until i spear a deer(or score a fresh roadkill!)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: acceptable substitute?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:05:06 pm »
What exactly does s.o.l stand for?

I've taken some freeze-dried adrenal, thyroid and brain from Dr Ron's(is standard process like dr ron's - ie no trans-fats used as filler such as magnesium-stearate etc.?)

1 other thing:- My health-problems re adrenals etc. cleared up after doing the diet for a few years. My iris-colour-change slowed down considerably at that point, but increased slightly when I added in those freeze-dried adrenal etc. supplements from Dr Ron's, and now the iris-colour-change has been more rapid now that I'm taking Mercola's (cold-extracted) krill-oil tablets . I'm taking that to mean that Dr Ron's supplements and the krill-oil would have speeded up my recovery from cooked foods if I'd taken them at the start of this diet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »
    I presumed it meant this: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shit_out_of_luck
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:27:43 pm »
tyler, sorry about my use of slang! and thank you rawzi, you are correct.

the first ingredient in the Standard Process supplements is magnesium sterate.  i feel like an idiot for not consulting this board before purchase! 

i have gone to dr. rons website but am not able to order from there at this time (either a computer error or what i would like to purchase is not available, i cannot tell) so i will give them a call. 

can  you explain or point me to some articles that pertain to the issues with mag. sterate?   i remember reading about this sometime this year but i really didnt give the issue my full attention.  will it be okay to continue to take the supplements with mag sterate until i run out (2 months worth) or shall i just wait to see if can order dr. rons, and start the regimine if/when those arrive?  i will consider the krill oil as well, i am sure the benefits have been explained on this board so i will read up on that.  i know i am taking other supplements with mag sterate as well, such as DHEA, and a few adaptogenic herbs...the dhea definitely helps, it keeps my energy up and my mental state more stable, perhaps you know of a "cleaner" source?

i would hate to waste these pills and the $$ but my health is much more important so any advice is greatly appreciated!

also on the note of iris color change, i have noticed with RAFs that there is some green now(light brown eyes) but the same black holes,that are not growing, where you would expect them to be with extremely low hormones/adrenal failure and the whole litany of syndromes/symptoms go along with that.  although i notice that the color in general is much lighter since cutting out all of my allergy inducing foods.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:10:26 am »
Yuri recommended Isocort for adrenals, not sure if that has magnesium stearate in it - you should ask him.

Here are 2 articles re the negative effects of magnesium stearate:-

http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/are-you-being-poisoned-the-danger-of-magnesium-stearate-and-stearic-acid-in-our-health-supplements-443927.html

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16410

My own view is that processed pills should only be taken as a last resort. So, if one was already very ill and specifically suffering from severe magnesium deficiency, then processed magnesium supplements would be a temporary, worthwhile  measure - but if one isn't suffering majorly, such highly processed  supplements should be generally avoided and raw(er) alternatives chosen instead.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:07:54 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

alphagruis

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 07:04:06 pm »

Here are 2 articles re the negative effects of magnesium stearate:-

http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/are-you-being-poisoned-the-danger-of-magnesium-stearate-and-stearic-acid-in-our-health-supplements-443927.html

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16410

My own view is that processed pills should only be taken as a last resort.

I heartidly agree with your last statement. IMO specific nutriments should practically never be taken in a chemically pure form but only in appropriate natural food.  

However re flow additives there is really no seriously documented reason to worry about negative effects of magnesium (Mg) stearate in supplements ! I would like to warn against the pseudoscientific considerations invoked to demonize this chemical in the 2 links provided. This is mainly advertising from poeple who want to sell their own supplements free of Mg stearate, instead.

From a scientific point of view Mg stearate is just an Mg salt of the stearic fatty acid as can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_stearate

-Stearic fatty acid is a major natural component of animal or plants fats: beef, mutton, goat, deer, boar... you name it. We RPD eat a lot of it in his esterified (linked to glycerol) form.

-Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid i.e. it is by no means a trans-fat ! Only unsaturated fatty acids i.e. with at least one C=C double bond in their molecule can adopt either a trans or a cis isomeric form.

-The stearic acid chemically extracted from hydrogenation of cotton seed or other polyunsaturated plant based oils does not differ from the one found in natural animal or plant fats. Even if its true that the whole mixture of fats or oils obtained in this hydrogenation process is toxic because of the presence of a large amount of trans-fats and damaged unsaturated fatty acids by heat and oxidation. Stearic acid by itself, as a saturated fatty acid, is quite stable up to 200°C. So the sole point one might perhaps worry about is possible residual impurities after extraction from initial mixture (tiny quantities of metal catalysts and oxidised or trans fats but frankly nothing to do re level of toxicity with processed plant based oils themselves). Moreover there are typically only a few percent of Mg stearate mixed in which means that the quantity ingested daily by the way of supplements is in the range of tens of mg rather than tens of g in the case of processed plant oils in SAD.

So this question of Mg stearate toxicity is, as far as I can judge, completely overblown.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:26:02 pm by alphagruis »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 09:47:18 pm »
I heartidly agree with your last statement. IMO specific nutriments should practically never be taken in a chemically pure form but only in appropriate natural food.   

thank you for the input alphagruis!
i am also of the thinking that they should only be used as a last resort, which is where i am!  because i spent way too long searching for a natural cure, stressing my body thinking more exercise (weight loss really) was the answer, healthier diet and time in/with nature, and shunning all other treatments,  my systems continued to deteriorate/stagnate, although not at the rate at which they had, and i am sure not as horrible if i had been taking any (big) pharmaceuticals to cover up the symptoms.  i am pretty young though and i consider myself in excellent condition besides all the ailments!  i will keep an update on this re: any benefits :) and also order from dr. rons in a few months (if needed) re: comparison/effectiveness......

alphagruis

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 03:16:26 am »
You're welcome Jessica.

No serious reason to worry about the Mg stearate in your Standard Process supplements. Remember, stress is bad for your adrenals  :)
The RPD diet by itself should be most powerful to help you to get rid of your ailments, but it takes some time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk