Author Topic: Leaving Meat Out...  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Leaving Meat Out...
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:55:31 pm »
Hey guys.
             When i purchase my meat i usually buy 10-15 lb. chunks but since i dont like cold meat and live without refrigeration for most of the year anyway ive just gotten used to whacking the chunk of meat down on a cutting board (although i think sticking it on a hook from the roof would be better) and over the week i just slice off what i want. So usually by day 5-6 its getting kinda fuzzy/mouldy but you can just scrape it off (or eat it too) and i suppose high meat isnt really necessary for us (i found it too much work trying to do it in jars that i have to remember to air out)

I laugh because when i started this diet that would have been gross, but now my wife and I laugh because we dont even notice the 'high' smell, but we also PREFER the meat aged like this now haha. I pull out a chunk early now so that we dont have to eat the 'flavourless' fresh meat. haha

I was just wondering if anyone else just let their meat 'rot' on their bench all week haha.

Another thing i noticed is those fruit fly things also like meat haha.
That's not paleo.

William

Re: Leaving Meat Out...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:22:28 am »
Hey guys.
             When i purchase my meat i usually buy 10-15 lb. chunks but since i dont like cold meat and live without refrigeration for most of the year anyway ive just gotten used to whacking the chunk of meat down on a cutting board (although i think sticking it on a hook from the roof would be better) and over the week i just slice off what i want. So usually by day 5-6 its getting kinda fuzzy/mouldy but you can just scrape it off (or eat it too) and i suppose high meat isnt really necessary for us (i found it too much work trying to do it in jars that i have to remember to air out)

I laugh because when i started this diet that would have been gross, but now my wife and I laugh because we dont even notice the 'high' smell, but we also PREFER the meat aged like this now haha. I pull out a chunk early now so that we dont have to eat the 'flavourless' fresh meat. haha

I was just wondering if anyone else just let their meat 'rot' on their bench all week haha.

Another thing i noticed is those fruit fly things also like meat haha.

My chunks of muscle are all frozen, so I slice it and dry to make pemmican - makes it easier to eat all the fat/tallow.

Where do you buy these chunks?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:35:34 am »
I admit I've always preferred aged, raw meat to fresh, raw meat. However, I have to deal with social issues, few people like the smell of aged, "high-meat" anywhere in one's premises. So, I keep it sealed and in small amounts in the fridge.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:12:41 am »
I buy a 35-40 primal chuck cut every 2 weeks. I cut into 2-3 pound chunks and stuff as many as I can into my storage container in the fridge, then freeze the remaining pieces. I usually get to eat 7-10 days of fresh like this and then the last days as pre-frozen.
The fresh higher meat definitely tastes much better. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:12:03 am »
william- I just go to my local butcher, they did grassfed cows this year so i could get grassfed beef at a good price. I would just go in when they cut up a fresh one (since i avoid frozen) ill grab say, 15lb of shoulder meat.. ill just take it out of its bag and plop it on the bench. I also do the same with bison where ill buy 20lb of inside round or with my mutton i just tell them to quarter it up and i just put a leg out and cut off what i want until its just bone
That's not paleo.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:20:43 pm »
william- I just go to my local butcher, they did grassfed cows this year so i could get grassfed beef at a good price. I would just go in when they cut up a fresh one (since i avoid frozen) ill grab say, 15lb of shoulder meat.. ill just take it out of its bag and plop it on the bench. I also do the same with bison where ill buy 20lb of inside round or with my mutton i just tell them to quarter it up and i just put a leg out and cut off what i want until its just bone
great ideas!! my husband doesn't like the ideas of high meat even he never tries that. he started of eating the raw meat and sees the advantages . i can do this for my toddler, but i don't know how to hide high stinky meat from him.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:47:01 am »
I have only recently started aging my meat but im actually pretty amazed at how awesome my meat tastes after its aged, what im eating right now has been out about 7 days.  You look at it and its got stuff growing on it and i guess it smells but i dont smell it if it does, you wretch your face up expecting it to greet your mouth with a horrible mouldy taste and instead its like a flavor explosion of goodness..

I have been eating it for a few days now and I have really noticed a difference. The main one that i am really feeling right now is that i feel REALLY good, like im getting high off of it.  I figure its the same as what people get from eating the high meat they prepare.  It got me wondering why my brain is releasing all these feel-good chemicals for eating fermented meat.
The other thing that mainly my wife with digestive problems noticed was that the meat is much more digestible the more aged it was.

So it kind of got me thinking that mabye in the same way that eating 80/20 ground beef every day is 'unnatural', eating fresh meat every day is 'unnatural'.

But if anybody here really likes their meat and is in a position where they are able to just hang a piece of meat out and let it 'rot' you will not be disappointed (when you get the taste, which you will eventually get). I also do not buy frozen so im not sure if it will work with frozen, tyler said that you cant make high-meat out of frozen stuff so i doubt it will age well..
That's not paleo.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:50:50 pm »
I haven't heard yet if anyone's made high-meat out of frozen meat. I just know that 1 or 2 others and myself tried it and it didn't seem to work. Of course, there might have been other factors involved or perhaps prefrozen meat decays in a different way as the cell-walls of meat get destroyed by freezing.

At any rate, I echo your views re high-meat. It is an important food, with the excess bacteria in it boosting the serotonin levels in the brain thus boosting mood etc. - plus, I am also convinced that our ancestors didn't eat fresh raw meat all the time, they must have routinely eaten raw meats aged for a few days, and in some cases weeks.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk