Author Topic: Anyone in the Northeast US?  (Read 15417 times)

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Anyone in the Northeast US?
« on: December 28, 2009, 05:53:52 am »
I live in Burlington, Vermont.  It would be cool to meat up with someone with similar dietary interests to chat.  I'm a raw omnivore, also into "primitive" skills, tracking, etc.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone in the Northeast US?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:24:19 am »
I'm in the Mid-Hudson Valley region of New York. Still quite a distance from where you are in Vermont though.

I'm pretty sure PaleoPhil is in Burlington or close by. I'm sure he'll chime in eventually. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:44:01 am »
I'm just north of Boston, MA.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »
I live in Burlington, Vermont.  It would be cool to meat up with someone with similar dietary interests to chat.  I'm a raw omnivore, also into "primitive" skills, tracking, etc.
i live in nj. if you hunt a good animal like healthy deer, you can sell to me. i want something one day delivery. i'll pay you for everything. if interested, please, tell me the price. thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:29:15 am »
Neat, djr's right. I live in Burlington, VT too. Glad to have a fellow RPDer here in Burlington. I don't hunt yet, but some day I'd like to learn.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:27:44 am »
Nice to see a few people live up this way and are willing to experiment with a raw omnivorous diet.  "Raw", thanks for the interest in my deer meat but I think I'll keep it.  I only got about 100 pounds when you include the organs, so probably enough to last me a year but not if I sell some. 

And PaleoPhil, if you want to learn to hunt, I can probably help you on that.  I hunt bow and rifle, and for bow I make my own self bows from a variety of locally harvested woods (hickory, oak, maple, hophornbeam) as well as osage orange when I can find a good stave for a reasonable price.  I also hunt on the ground via stalking and still-hunting, relying on stealth, awareness and a knowledge of my quarry to get near enough for a shot.  I'm not into the commercialized hunting with its RealTree camo, high-tech space bows (with training wheels, aka cams), tree stands, synthetic deer piss scent control and beer guzzling.

Anyone ever tried to put together a raw omnivore potluck?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:43:27 am »
PaleoPhil and I know each other and have met (via another forum). I'd have fun meeting you, too, Eric.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:19:15 pm »
We haven't had any official rawpalaeo potlucks as yet, though some members have met up to get advice on how to prepare jerky etc.. 
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:14:43 pm »
oh man wish i could get up to the north east to hunt with you eric.  yesterday i spent the day thrashing through oaks, came up on many deer and my mouth was watering (as well as my heart swelling, they are beautiful!) but i have no hunting skills other than tracking!  hopefully more people will become raw carnies(lol) id like to have a meal with someone without them grimacing!

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:21:15 am »
Jessica, I'm grateful for your comment and I hope you can find someone local who can mentor you in learning the art of hunting.  As Jon Young and Randall Eaton often say, hunting one's own food, whether you plan on cooking it or not, can easily become the rite of passage many of us never received due to the reality-denying culture ours has turned into.  It certainly was for me, and I would recommend a sacred hunt to just about anyone provided they can find someone to lead them through the process while instilling the ethics and skills needed for it to work.

Klowcarb, how far do you think it is between your town and mine?  I'd be up for getting together.  Same goes for you, too, PaleoPhil.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 07:40:26 am »
Yeah, maybe you can help convince those of my friends and relatives who still seem to think I'm strange for eating Paleo and claiming it can reverse the diseases of civilization--or worse, for eating raw meat--that I'm not really. ;-)

I read a couple of Randall Eaton's articles online. Good stuff.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 09:59:07 am »
Randall's a nice guy.  Very genuine.  I met him this past spring when he and Jon Young did a workshop at Shelburne Farms, in Shelburne Vermont (very near Burlington).  It was called "Mentoring and the Sacred Hunt", so naturally Jon Young spoke a lot about mentoring and Randall a lot about hunting, and both could speak on rites of passage, which is what The Sacred Hunt really is. They will be leading a similar workshop together this coming spring, although I think this one will be on the west coast, perhaps near Jon's home in California.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 10:09:34 am »
yeah i am definitely down with rites of passage, so much of that is missing from our culture(even our culture is missing from our culture) we built a sweat lodge in the woods where i stalk, and are probably building a cabin up there this spring(along with another we have half built!) but now its time to realize we are really dependent on animals for fuel(we will be using farming, but are not sure how well we can supply adequate calories) i have the utmost respect for animals though and am really intent on being able to skillfully kill anything i hunt/trap so as to not cause it undue pain or suffering!  it is definitely humbling to be in the wilderness and to make a shelter, warmth and food for oneself...

its funny in the mayan culutre they call someone who hasnt gone through rites of passage "uncooked" maybe this is why we require so much raw food to heal all the false cookedness, the luxury of our culture, and to bring us back to our more virginal selves as to learn the real ways of the universe?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:27:33 am »
Randall's a nice guy.  Very genuine.  I met him this past spring when he and Jon Young did a workshop at Shelburne Farms, in Shelburne Vermont (very near Burlington).  It was called "Mentoring and the Sacred Hunt", so naturally Jon Young spoke a lot about mentoring and Randall a lot about hunting, and both could speak on rites of passage, which is what The Sacred Hunt really is. They will be leading a similar workshop together this coming spring, although I think this one will be on the west coast, perhaps near Jon's home in California.

Have you ever head of Tom Brown's Tracker school?

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 11:20:27 pm »
Yes I have heard of Tom Brown Jr. and his tracker school.  I've even gone so far as to attempt to sign up for his standard and advanced standard classes, although luckily I was waitlisted both times and never got in.  I've taken similar "survival" classes at other more local schools though, so I feel like I have a firm grasp of the survival basics (fire-by-friction, primitive shelters, edible and medicinal plants and animals, hunting, stalking, etc...), for whatever they're worth...  

"Survival" schools like Tracker School and its progeny sell skills, and while skills are important I think  that community and personal development are even more important.  That's why I have taken a liking to Jon Young and his cultural mentoring slant and am becoming less and less inclined to buy my way into survival classes.  I went to my first Art of Mentoring here in Vermont this past fall, for the price I think it is better than any Tom Brown-esque survival class.  You can certainly learn skills if you want to, but you also learn about personal, community and cultural development and about mentoring.  These elements are far more important than survival skills in our modern era, in my opinion.  The Art of Mentoring workshop and Jon Young and Randall Eaton's Sacred Hunt workshop were life-altering experiences for me, and for most of the people who attended I suspect.  I can't imagine a survival class, no matter how well orchestrated, would equal either of them.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:04 am »
We haven't had any official rawpalaeo potlucks as yet, though some members have met up to get advice on how to prepare jerky etc..  

I have a friend around Burlington Vermont is holding raw potlucks.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:15 pm »
    I have a friend around Burlington Vermont is holding raw potlucks.
Well, it would be great if the person posted notifications about future meetings in this forum. Or perhaps you could post about them here, with your friend's permission.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »
Well, it would be great if the person posted notifications about future meetings in this forum. Or perhaps you could post about them here, with your friend's permission.

I'm going to ask him to.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 09:55:40 pm »
    I'm going to ask him to.
  These are  Primal Diet potlucks, I presume?
" Ron Paul.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 02:44:10 am »
Hey, you'all, I'm in western Massachusetts. I'm glad to see there are other northeasterners on here. If anyone has any ideas for me getting meat that hasn't been frozen out here, let me know... I'm pretty new to this.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:06 am »
I think Eric is in your general area, i think he might actually be in New Hampshire.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 05:50:53 am »
I do live in the northeast, but not in New Hampshire. I live in Burlington, Vermont. PaleoPhil also lives nearby, I think in neighboring Winooski. Amazingly enough we're probably less than a 20-minute walk from each other's houses, but we're both so busy we haven't managed to find time to meet up yet.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 08:40:34 am »
Hey, you'all, I'm in western Massachusetts. I'm glad to see there are other northeasterners on here. If anyone has any ideas for me getting meat that hasn't been frozen out here, let me know... I'm pretty new to this.
I don't have a source for unfrozen but if you go the frozen route the farmer I buy from might be within driving distance for you depending on how close to the NY border you are:
http://www.grazinangusacres.com/
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 08:46:57 am »
I do live in the northeast, but not in New Hampshire. I live in Burlington, Vermont. PaleoPhil also lives nearby, I think in neighboring Winooski. Amazingly enough we're probably less than a 20-minute walk from each other's houses, but we're both so busy we haven't managed to find time to meet up yet.
Yeah, and what really sucks is I had finally gotten some help at work and we were getting caught up, but now that person is gone and I'm back to doing more overtime until the new person gets trained. Plus my father keeps giving me projects to do in the free time I have. I'm trying to get better organized so I have more time for fun even when I'm busy with a lot of stuff. The problem is, that takes time too. LOL

I haven't bothered to check to be sure whether my sources of meat are ever frozen, as it doesn't matter that much to me. I find wild sashimi quality fish to be excellent and that has to be frozen by law, as I understand it, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but to each their own.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:52:11 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 06:48:30 am »
Oh, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me either... really, I just heard some people here talking about their meat not ever being frozen. And I actually found some really good fresh sources here. I do figure the fresher the better. I'm about to try goat.... Do you'all figure there's a significant difference in quality between ground meat and not ground? I do have money, so I guess I might as well buy the highest-quality stuff. So far I've been eating ground, but I'm going to try my first raw steak probably tomorrow.

That's cool that you guys are in the Burlington area. Already starting to get cold, huh? I haven't been up there in a couple years, but love Vermont.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk