Author Topic: majormark - so far so good  (Read 16170 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: majormark - so far so good
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 02:22:12 am »
Have you tried mixing the suet with beef?

Was the suet you used grassfed or grain-finished? Was the source Slankers?

I ate it with beef heart.

I have no way to know if something is grassfed if I buy it from a store, because there is no labeling for that here. I'd probably have to do too much detective work to find out. Usually butchers work with small or large farms and they do not make any distinction.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 03:05:06 am »
I ate it with beef heart.

I have no way to know if something is grassfed if I buy it from a store, because there is no labeling for that here. I'd probably have to do too much detective work to find out. Usually butchers work with small or large farms and they do not make any distinction.

OK, that could explain the different experiences. I don't get the well-being feeling from standard grainfed suet and meat and I find supermarket suet and even organic grain-finished suet also contains more connective tissue, brown bits and moisture than 100% grassfed that make the flavor of the suet even worse if I don't render it (and it makes poor tallow too).

Unfortunately, Lex just suggested that low-heating my suet to 130F may have a negative effect on its fatty acid bioavailability, so I may have to adjust what I'm doiing as well.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 06:05:19 am »

At this moment, for me, butter seems to beat suet by far.

When I tried to witch completely to suet I did not realize how hard it is to digest because I was eating it with high meats and when I ate it with fresh muscle meats... ohh the pain. I haven't had indigestion for a looong time, even when overeating junk foods.

I will only try suet in small quantities or maybe experiment with a gradual increase.

I would love to not relay on butter so much because it's sometimes hard to find raw.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: majormark - Kefir
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

I got some kefir grains and I will experiment with those for a while.

They seem to float on the surface, I thought they were supposed to stay at the bottom. I got them from a person who was making Keir from pasteurized low fat milk, so maybe they are not used to the raw milk yet.

So far it started to smell a little like alcohol (which I don't like) and I also added a little honey to see what happens.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:16 pm »

I left the kefir for two days and I got cheese...

The resulted whey smells and tastes very alcoholic. I will not add honey anymore, that is for sure.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 11:00:56 pm »
I left the kefir for two days and I got cheese...

The resulted whey smells and tastes very alcoholic. I will not add honey anymore, that is for sure.

Kefir very often does ferment into alcohol.  The alcohol won't hurt you, unless you tend to get addicted to alcohol.  In that case, I wouldn't drink it.  Otherwise, 1-2 drinks a day (or the equivalent amount of alcohol) actually may be slightly beneficial, according to several studies, I think.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 09:49:57 am »
Kefir can go through a lot a adaptation to what milk you put it in.  Try keeping it closer to body temp, and remember to stir it several if not many times a day to provide the grains milk instead of already digested milk stagnating around undisturbed kefir grains.  I like it the best just,  just as it turns sour.  You have to cool it quickly then.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:39 pm »
Kefir can go through a lot a adaptation to what milk you put it in.  Try keeping it closer to body temp, and remember to stir it several if not many times a day to provide the grains milk instead of already digested milk stagnating around undisturbed kefir grains.  I like it the best just,  just as it turns sour.  You have to cool it quickly then.

I have been making kefir for some time now and this is an excellent idea to stir kefir from time to time. This would provide them fresh milk, lactose.

Kefir grains won't go to the bottom but stay at the top. After some time of fermentation about 12h you can see whey at the bottom, milk in the center and kefirs at top.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 03:54:11 pm »

Updates:

1. I tried to use an egg instead of shampoo twice and got dandruff so I'll not be using that again. Next. I'll try coconut cream.

2. I've been doing ~2 liters of Keir a day. Those grains start growing faster when I place them in goat milk

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 05:42:01 pm »
Have you thought about using nothing for shampoo? I kept washing but cut out the shampoo - it only took a few days to adjust. Been doing that for years.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:48 pm »

I haven't thought about that. My hair gets oily after 2-3 days so I imagine it would take more than water to remove some of that.

Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:24 am »
When it finds it's balance you don't need to strip out the oil anymore because you only make what you need.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 09:03:37 pm »
I think I heard that before, but every time I let my hair unwashed it gets very itchy and I scratch my head a lot.

Now about coconut creme. I tried it today and it left my hair very greasy that I had to use shampoo right after it.

I still smell like coconut creme... I guess it's good if you live in a cave but not if I have to go out.

I will do one more experiment by mixing it with an egg yolk and after that I'm done.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 04:15:31 am »
Couple of things I learned lately:

- There is a Romanian buffalo still raised by some people in the country and it's milk is twice as fat than that of a cow. Too bad I don't have access to it.

- It seems that whenever I binge on fruits (that is more than a hand-full) I get some dry red spots on the cheeks that go away 2-3 days after I stop eating any plants.

- I always thought that philosophy is some kind of gibberish but I became a fan of Stefan Molyneux and watch his channel regularly, mainly because he is able to present ideas that I always believed to be true. Apparently the state is evil... ;D , but he does suggest some interesting solutions.
 http://www.youtube.com/user/stefbot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk