Author Topic: Heavy exercise program on a paleo diet  (Read 8632 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Heavy exercise program on a paleo diet
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »
I am considering doing an intense exercise program called P90X
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x_plus.do?code=YAHOO_SEMB_P90XPLUS&ef_id=1908:1:7661b7bc5c57f144657eaf6bf54dc6a9_64502193511_404224752011:S4kUktBkLAoAAE2kTxAAAAJA:20100227124818

Is this a bad idea on a Raw Paleo diet that Aajonus Vonderplanitz talks about ?
I am 56 years and in moderate shape. I was in top shape many years ago. I am doing it for health and strength although I am not unhealthy. I was a 20 year vegetarian and am on AV's raw paleo diet since December 2009.

I notice that they give advice on diet and it is obviously not raw but I will dismiss the diet suggestions basically.

Any opinions as to the advisability of this?

PS ... I saw it on an infomercial while in a hotel. Probably one of the worst sources of life decisions javascript:void(0)
Cheers
Al

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy exercise program on a paleo diet
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:37:34 pm »
I definitely would not do p90x and would go with Starting Strength instead. From all the researching on programming this seems to be easily the best.

Heres a thread to get you started

http://forum.dirtycarnivore.com/index.php?topic=79.0

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore provides a solid framework for beginning and intermediate lifters to maximize their strength and power.

The 2nd ed. Starting Strength book focuses on teaching the Big 5 lifts; squat, deadlift, press, bench press and power clean. The squat is covered in 55 exquisitely detailed pages unequalled in print. All the major and most minor form errors are clearly illustrated and how to correct them with complete coaching cues. The other four lifts are covered equally well. If you only buy one book on lifting, make it this one. 320 pages of pure clarity in strength training instruction.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0976805421/

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:31:45 pm »
Thanks for the idea. What appeals to me (P90X) is the idea that I don't need special equipment and can do it while traveling.

When you say you would not go with the P90x, what are the reasons?
Cheers
Al

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 04:54:37 am »
You should try it and see how it works for you.  You never know until you try right?  personally I don't think you need to do this program as any strength program will probably work for you.  I'm a firm believer in changing your program quite frequently as well.  As long as you are stimulating your muscles with heavy weights or bodyweight and changing your program frequently you will gain strength and make progress.  Please let us know what you decide to do and your results

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:57:56 am »
P90X is a great way to improve your fitness level. I did it last year and felt awesome.

You will still need resistance bands if you are traveling.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:43:35 am »
I don't know much about p90x other than what I've seen on tv and it looks like a bunch of cardiotarding - basically a program that  is centered around "no pain, no gain". If you are just beginning a strength building program you definitely do not want to jump into something that is going to wear you out so fast cardio-wise like p90x, especially if you have not been active in a while.

Starting Strength is purposely made for beginners and it only takes 2-3 workouts a week for around 30-40 min per workout with minimal actual work. Most of the time you are resting. Build strength and muscle first before you fool around doing intense cardio stuff. After you've  built a decent strength base in 3-6 months then you can add some crossfit metacons that combine cardio and lifting similar but in a more effective way than p90x.

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 06:49:29 am »
Agreed.  Intense cardio isn't the way to go to build strength and muscle. Emphasize recovery.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 01:34:16 pm »
Ive read great things about P90X as i wanted to do it for myself. But i believe you do need some weights...if you ever do it make sure to tell results.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:55:49 am »
I think that for now I may go back to the plan I followed years ago. It is free, simple and a good springboard.

http://www.corvedale.previewurl.com/5bx/

I got up to the very top level chart and stayed there for awhile but stopped, because it started to irritate the same muscles.
This will get me in shape so I can go on from there. I am not a couch potato by any means as  I bike, walk and do Yoga daily.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:59 pm »
If you are a newbie just newly recovering from ill-health, then you should heal first with a rpd diet then only do high-intensity strength once you have fully recovered. Light activity is fine in the meantime.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk