Author Topic: Beyond Civilization?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Beyond Civilization?
« on: December 31, 2009, 10:53:51 pm »
Daniel Quinn, best known for writing the novel Ishmael and its sequels Story of B and My Ishmael, wrote the non-fiction book Beyond Civilization around the year 2000.  Anyone else read this?  If so, what do people think about it?  I'm tempted to summarize, but there are such a diverse array of ideas in the book that I fear I'd bias people's views and interpretations of the book if I did so.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Civilization?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:38:46 am »
I've read Ishmael, My Ishmael and some of Quinn's articles, but I haven't read Beyond Civilization beyond some excerpts and his articles that touched on its subjects. I'd be interested in your summary.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Beyond Civilization?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »
I only recently bumped into this guy. Read about him, seen/heard him interviewed, but never his actual books.

Like Phil, I'd be interested in your summary.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk