Raw Paleo Diet Forums > General Discussion

Raw Eggwhites Indigestable?

(1/1)

Sully:
Are raw eggwhites indigestable? I read this on a muscle magazine website. How true is this? Should I consume eggwhites? Fill me in please.

Raw Kyle:
I don't think that true, but there is an anti-nutrient in egg whites that could cause absorption problems, I think it's biotin, but to be damaged you would have to eat a ridiculous amount of egg whites.

I think the yolks taste way better alone but intuition tells me that it would be more balanced to eat the whole thing. I used to blend them with dairy so I didn't notice the white but if I had to eat them plain I probably wouldn't like the texture.

TylerDurden:
This has already been covered in another topic on this board:-

"As regards raw eggs, it turns out that the avidin in raw eggs is heavily reduced if the eggs are fertilised:-("Feeding fertilized eggs reduces the amount of avidin in the egg"
taken from:-
http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171406.htm

). Also, apparently one needs to eat 24 unfertilised raw whole eggs a day in order to get a deficiency:-   http://ourlittlefarm.bz/knowledge.html
(this is because the egg-yolk contains a lot of biotin which the avidin blocks the intake of to some extent - it's only harmful if one eats raw egg-white without the yolk in huge quantities every day). Since, in Palaeo times, there was no domestication of birds, most eggs found in the wild would have come from nests of breeding birds, and would therefore be almost wholly fertilised, and eggs would have been rarely eaten."

However, bear in mind that the natural diet of wild jungle fowl is omnivorous with earthworms and insects also being eaten etc, with only small amounts of grain. Yet, almost all farmers feed their chickens on an unnatural 100% grain diet, including soy of all things. If you can get hold of fertilised eggs from pastured/grassfed chickens, though, then I'm sure such raw eggs can be considered a superior food, but otherwise one should, IMO, only use raw eggs as a secondary source of fat when more suitable sources of raw animal fat are unavailable.

Sully:
thanks for the info. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version