Author Topic: Pork  (Read 5740 times)

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Pork
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:49:09 am »
I'm new to all of this and was wondering how do you prevent contracting tapeworms from pork or any bacterial diseases in meats?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Pork
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:38 am »
I don't worry about bacterial diseases in meat. If I'm eating raw my body's immune system has less regular stress on it and therefore handles things better. Any colds, flus, and possible harmful bacteria I encounter doesn't seem to do anything.

I've debated trying raw pork myself (actually have a little pastured pork in the freezer we bought for my wife to cook) but it seems everyone adds at least a bit of corn to the feed mix of their pigs and that's just going to set my food allergies off. Then there is the fact they'll eat anything, even shit, that gives me pause. Lastly, they're know for parasites. I've come to the conclusion over time that it's just not worth the worries when other meats do so well for me.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:04:06 am »
I don't worry about bacterial diseases in meat. If I'm eating raw my body's immune system has less regular stress on it and therefore handles things better. Any colds, flus, and possible harmful bacteria I encounter doesn't seem to do anything.

I've debated trying raw pork myself (actually have a little pastured pork in the freezer we bought for my wife to cook) but it seems everyone adds at least a bit of corn to the feed mix of their pigs and that's just going to set my food allergies off. Then there is the fact they'll eat anything, even shit, that gives me pause. Lastly, they're know for parasites. I've come to the conclusion over time that it's just not worth the worries when other meats do so well for me.

Alright, thank you! I've been explaining all this to my boyfriend, and his major worry is bacteria (although I tend to not get sick very often, a cold or two a year and have never had the flu). For me, it was trichinosis with pork (although that could be avoided by not eating it).

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:04:58 am »
i eat wild hog meat whenever i can get it. it's delicious! just got 4 pounds today actually. havent had any bad experiences with it...

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:12:53 am »
i eat wild hog meat whenever i can get it. it's delicious! just got 4 pounds today actually. havent had any bad experiences with it...

I've only had cooked wild hog meat before, which I liked much more than pork. I'm hoping that, if I decide to consume raw pork or raw wild boar, that I'll like it then too.

I did a Google search about this, and found this, "Fresh pork less than 6 inches thick can be rendered safe if frozen to 5°F for 20 days, -10°F for 10 days, or -20°F for 6 days.  All Broken Arrow Ranch wild boar products have been frozen for 20 days at 0°F." From this site: http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Articles/Articles-Trichinosis.htm
I'm hoping that means that you don't have to cook it to ensure you don't get trichinosis.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »
I'm new to all of this and was wondering how do you prevent contracting tapeworms from pork or any bacterial diseases in meats?

I prevent getting sick by eating them raw, never been frozen nor dried nor warmed.  I did try jerky once, and it made me sick.  I tried pemmican once, it did not make me sick, but I really didn't swallow any.  I've eaten raw pork, raw chicken, raw lobster, raw highmeats, you name it, I'll probably try it more than once.  The parasites like wastes from cooked, also starches and sugars, even fiber.  I feel eating raw pork help me be strong against parasites.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »
The general experience of RVAFers is that parasite-infestation is very rare and when it happens, it doesn't affect the body to any negative extent. The fact that almost all meat-producers in the western world routinely deworm their animals with anti-parasite medicines means there's no danger from that angle. In theory, there are claims that wild animals are infested with parasites, but I and many others have eaten raw wild game with no issues reported. One can take that to mean either a) that group are indeed infected with parasites but experience no side-effects as a result or b) they aren't affected by parasites and the number of parasites in Nature is greatly exaggerated or c) many parasites happen to only survive in certain species they are linked to, so that perhaps most parasites eaten by RVAFers just get flushed out dead, if not biologically adapted to humans(a loose conjecture, but possible).

At any rate, trichinosis is only a (minor) problem in countries like Vietnam. In developed countries, it's so incredibly rare that there's no need to worry about it.

As for raw pork, go in only for pastured pork as pork is almost always 90-100% grainfed. Pastured pork is really rare so it might actually be much easier to get hold of raw wild boar instead(much tastier than pastured pork, anyway).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Spearhead

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »
According to Aajonus, Trichinosis is one of the most desirable parasites you could want for digestion. He even recommended I try eating pig intestines so I could get it. Apparently many people suffering chronic ibs who have been given this whip worm have discovered their digestion improves phenomenally. I still haven't decided whether I will try to intentionally contract it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:37:59 pm by Spearhead »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »
According to Aajonus, Trichonisis is one of the most desirable parasites you could want for digestion. He even recommended I try eating pig intestines so I could get it. Apparently many people suffering chronic ibs who have been given this whip worm have discovered their digestion improves phenomenally. I still haven't decided whether I will try to intentionally contract it.
  Yes. That is a very good point made by Aajonus. That said the study did involve special parasites designed solely for pigs(ie they only survive for some weeks in the human gut as a result, last I checked).  And maybe it only benefits those with IBS as opposed to other symptoms. Whatever the case, continuing research on the Hygiene Hypothesis theory re the benefits of bacteria and parasites continues to show that many of AV's most controversial claims re high-meat etc. have ultimately been proven right.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Spearhead

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »
  Yes. That is a very good point made by Aajonus. That said the study did involve special parasites designed solely for pigs(ie they only survive for some weeks in the human gut as a result, last I checked).  And maybe it only benefits those with IBS as opposed to other symptoms. Whatever the case, continuing research on the Hygiene Hypothesis theory re the benefits of bacteria and parasites continues to show that many of AV's most controversial claims re high-meat etc. have ultimately been proven right.

It's also true that our digestive track is similar to that of a pigs, so it would make sense that a symbiont that benefits pigs could have some benefit for us. In any case if I decide to go down the route of consuming pig intestines I will write up a small report about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk