Author Topic: Fat  (Read 6036 times)

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Fat
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:03 pm »
I was having dinner with my father and step-mum. They had bought some sausages at Whole Foods. My step-mum doesn't eat meat usually (she views it as unhealthy for a variety of reasons), but they were both exclaiming how much they liked these better than the other commercial kinds they've had, primarily because they're not fatty.

I've always been under the impression that fat and meat is good for you (a reason why my step-mum and I have issue with each other), but rather how the animal is raised and how its processed is the reason its not. That bones and fat are important to the diet, not just muscle.

I fight a lot with my step-mum on health issues. She says that red meat is bad for you (and so there's almost no meat in the house, ever, and being a large carnivore, I have issue finding meals), when meat is obviously not 'bad,' but more how we treat it. (I don't entirely understand how she is alive--she primarily eats heavy grain breads or pastas, applesauce, lettuce, several cups of coffee a day, and peanut butter.)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Fat
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:25 pm »
In my experience it is no use arguing about these things with other people.  Just be happy for them.  And then do your own thing.  When they see you in glowing health, they will ask you what you do. 

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:34:00 am »
It's just hard when family conversations all revolve around it. I don't live with my parents all the time, since I'm in college, but when I am here, it's tough. I can understand not wishing to eat it or disliking it for a reason, but not demonizing it. It's that that bothers me, particularly when I'm right there with my food.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:51:33 am »
I can understand not wishing to eat it or disliking it for a reason, but not demonizing it. It's that that bothers me, particularly when I'm right there with my food.

Ask them in a very clear, steady and firm voice to talk about topics other than food?  They obviously have serious psychological food problems.  Food is not a good topic of conversation for them.  I would pity them for that, if it would help.  If you try talking about other things, do they cut you off?  I know it can be hard too, you are eating and you don't want to be busy guiding conversation.  

I never enjoyed eating time with my family when I was growing up.  It was like they considered it was my responsibility to eat when they said, the amount they said and what they said.  Eventually when they continued to try this I told them they have eating disorders, and they stopped commenting on my food.  That is all but one.  One would still like to guilt me for meat, even though they eat it and serve it grilled and even factory raised at times too with chemical preservatives.  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline nicolegreen

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:31:36 am »
I have the same problems when it comes to my parents and even in-laws. One thing that you have to realize is that the only reason that they strike up an argument is because they care about your health and what they think your doing is wrong, even though it isn't. I've gotten to the point where I bring my own dinner to family get togethers and just change the subject when they start their "bashing" as I like to call it. If it gets bad enough I remind them of how I used to look and be (diabetic, overweight, acne) and normally they stop because they don't have a leg to stand on. You have to realize that years and even a lifetime of misinformation and brain washing by doctors and dietitians have caused most people to think that the way that you, I, and the rest of this forum eats is completely unhealthy.

Fat is good for you. Fat is fuel. Fat is my favorite thing. If it wasn't for fat before a workout (normally crossfit which is extremely intense) I wouldn't be able to push myself as far as I do. Fat makes my skin balanced and toned. Fat even keeps my hair from getting too greasy!!!

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:46:38 am »
Fat is good for you. Fat is fuel. Fat is my favorite thing. If it wasn't for fat before a workout (normally crossfit which is extremely intense) I wouldn't be able to push myself as far as I do. Fat makes my skin balanced and toned. Fat even keeps my hair from getting too greasy!!!

I love that, Nicole. I need my fat for doing my heavy lifting, doing cardio, hiking and snow-shoeing! Fat is energy and health.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:15 am »
Never argue about diet waste of time unless you enjoy stirring her up when your bored.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:55:02 am »
Speaking of fat ill ask it here since it doesnt deserve its own thread..

Why is Emu Oil a liquid at room tempature?
That's not paleo.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:59:37 am »
Why is Emu Oil a liquid at room tempature?

Idk, but chicken and fish fat is softer than beef.  Maybe it's cold flying up high and birds need fat that doesn't get so hard for lift off, gliding etc.  Same for fish, it gets cold under water and their fat hardening wouldn't be good for them?  Can an emu fly?  I don't really know anything about emu oil.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:36:56 am »
I'm not so sure if its because they care about me or not, haha. With my father, they're discussions. With my step-mother, it's... More of an argument. She's the health nut. I'm not really sure where she gets all her information. I'm starting to realize that my step-family never believes anything I say, no matter the scientific background. (My father tends to, or if something sounds off, looks it up to make sure I got the story right.)

I figured fat would provide protection, warmth, and energy. (A layer of fat for protection, as well as warmth, in case of a fight or injury while hunting. It's MUCH better to have fatty tissue cut than muscle.)

That's really interesting about the emu oil. I wonder about the reason as well XD

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 11:17:31 am »
being a health nut has its stages.
I went through vegetarian, raw vegan, fruitarian, before reaching raw paleo diet.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:25 pm »
I read somewhere that our(although there may be variation from whoever this test was carried out on) fat is good for buoyancy(white fat), and not so much for heat; but that a baby's fat is good for heat(brown fat). Although I seem to remember that was breaking it down for energy, for heat as opposed to insulation... I don't remember.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:07 pm »
being a health nut has its stages.
I went through vegetarian, raw vegan, fruitarian, before reaching raw paleo diet.

Whatever my parents gave me diet; Not much diet; 0 Fat diet; Every food that is considered healthy in some-way diet(e.g. crazy mish-mash muesli with everything in it, nuts, fruit, dark chocolate, coconut, multiple-whole-grains, (whole-wheat)sandwiches with cheese, lots of salad, tomatoes, cucumbers, meats and fruit); Exclusions in diet to find the problems; Cooked Meat Paleo Diet; Raw Carnivorous diet =D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:00:37 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk