Author Topic: I think I might need a Root Canal  (Read 11328 times)

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
I think I might need a Root Canal
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:41:33 pm »
The left bottom end of my tooth, my gums are swollen. There's an ulcer on my tongue.

And guess what? My mum's out there shopping. She blames it on all the raw stuff I've been eating. She won't come back to bring me to the dentist unless I stop this diet. Wow. This is blackmail. Now, I have trouble talking, eating is too painful, gurgling is painful as well.. and she just keeps nagging.

So transparent.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: I think I might need a Root Canal
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:05:32 pm »
    Your mother may think she is protecting your health.  She is protecting herself from you telling the dentist you are eating raw meat.  He is an authority certified by the establishment that wants you to eat cooked food.  What she is actually doing is playing with your physical life today.  Eating raw animal foods may bring on much more pus than any cooked or other diet.  This can be very dangerous.  Be thankful it is not a top of the mouth tooth, that would be more dangerous.  Tell her you need a dentist now, and that this is not the time for her to play.  If she doesn't listen, you may have to turn her in for denying you needed emergency medical care.  You may have to stop raw then too, but she will be in trouble.  Warn her before you both have problems.  I don't think she wants your health to suffer.

Or just pay yourself for the dentist.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
Root canal is a no no in my world of health.

Root canal is meant to be a bread and butter of dentists.  It only benefits the dentist monetarily but not the patients.

If the tooth is doomed, extract it.

This is my stand on root canal:

"All root canals must be extracted. Root canalled teeth are dead teeth and have no business being stuck in your jaw causing illness. If you want to get well, this must be done now."

http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/dental-cleanse

You can compromise with your mom and stick with raw fish for the moment.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:22:50 pm »
If the tooth is doomed, extract it.

This is my stand on root canal:

"All root canals must be extracted. Root canalled teeth are dead teeth and have no business being stuck in your jaw causing illness. If you want to get well, this must be done now."

http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols/dental-cleanse

That's what I did.  I had a similar problem as Dwight (but had not been root canaled), and I looked for a dentist who would listen to me and help me do what I want with my body.  I had the dentist take my tooth out instead of filling it or canaling its root.  Once the tooth was out, sure, it may have hurt for a day, but it was such a relief to my health and healed up faster than the dentist had imagined it would.  It was wild!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:06:32 pm »
I had a root canal once. I remember the dentist extracted the tooth and replaced it with a fake one.

Also, there's like a pus pocket near the infected area.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:25:44 pm »
    Listen to gs.  Take it out.  It may be difficult, Idk.  I know the gums are tougher with epilepsy medications.  Make sure the dentist is familiar with what medicine you are on.  Depending on your ancestry to, your tooth roots may be deeper, longer and more twisting.

Put wheatgrass pulp on the area.  It helps with infections, with anyone raw that I have seen, RAFers or vegans.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »
Gums are tougher with epilepsy medication? Like Sodium valporite?

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:59:10 pm »

Nearly all my root canals got infected at the base and I had to extract those teeth or appeal to surgery. I was on a standard junk diet at the time so I think that was also contributing to the problem.

I still think there could be outlook issues if the tooth is in front, because I understand an implant takes a couple of months to be placed.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 08:33:41 pm »
Clove oil will relieve you of all tooth pain in 1 minute.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:29 pm »
Don't got any clove oil. I am gonna search the supermarket. I can't eat well. Getting a little dizzy..

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
Don't got any clove oil. I am gonna search the supermarket. I can't eat well. Getting a little dizzy..

Try the Indian grocery.

It may be an emergency case if you are feeling dizzy.  Maybe the e.r.?

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:47 pm »
I'm probably just tired. I couldn't enjoy my meals today. :(

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »
Clove oil essence for toothaches right? What about my gums? They're swollen.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 10:22:40 pm »
Still hurts but not that much. =( It burns.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 03:41:30 pm »
Confirmed. It's not a root canal. It's actually my wisdom tooth, the dentist is going to remove it this tuesday.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 04:08:48 pm »
Clove oil essence for toothaches right? What about my gums? They're swollen.

Put the clove oil on your teeth and gums.  Drinking clove oil numbs your throat.  You probably don't need that.  Clove oil can be very cooling.  Don't get it in your eye.

Try the Indian grocery.

Or a health food store or tattoo shop.

Get well soon.

Lots of raw butter and raw cream helped me with that kind of pain.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 04:59:24 am »
You know, if I had a bigger jaw, I wouldn't need to remove my wisdom tooth. :(

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 08:50:50 am »
Check out Stephan Guyenet's blog for a ton of info on why many moderners' jaws are too small to hold wisdom teeth: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=wisdom
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:31 am »
Check out Stephan Guyenet's blog for a ton of info on why many moderners' jaws are too small to hold wisdom teeth: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=wisdom

I think he under-emphasizes the role of nutrition.  The studies on crooked teeth and animals were interesting, but I still am maybe leaning toward nutrition being a very big contributor.  He doesn't even mention vitamin D-3 or calcium...do those not make a difference?  He also seemed to underemphasize K-2 nutrition throughout childhood.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:56:31 am »
I think he under-emphasizes the role of nutrition.  The studies on crooked teeth and animals were interesting, but I still am maybe leaning toward nutrition being a very big contributor.  He doesn't even mention vitamin D-3 or calcium...do those not make a difference?  He also seemed to underemphasize K-2 nutrition throughout childhood.
Rest assured, he does focus on the role of nutrition and foods in malocclusion and dental health and he is one of the biggest proponents of D3 and K2 on the Internet. Many of his readers started eating foods rich in D3 and K2 (and vitamin A and minerals) and supplementing D3 where necessary because of Stephan's articles. He's not raw Paleo and I don't agree with him on everything, but he has written a lot on the topics you mention. Here are some samples--and there is much more (emphases mine):

"Over the course of the next several posts, I'll give an overview of the extensive literature showing that hunter-gatherers past and present have excellent occlusion, subsistence agriculturalists generally have good occlusion, and the adoption of modern foodways directly causes the crooked teeth, narrow arches and/or crowded third molars (wisdom teeth) that affect the majority of people in industrialized nations. I believe this process also affects the development of the rest of the skull, including the face and sinuses."

There are three main factors that I believe contribute to malocclusion in modern societies:

1. Maternal nutrition during the first trimester of pregnancy. Vitamin K2, found in organs, pastured dairy and eggs, is particularly important. We may also make small amounts from the K1 found in green vegetables.
   2. Sucking habits from birth to age four. Breast feeding protects against malocclusion. Bottle feeding, pacifiers and finger sucking probably increase the risk of malocclusion. Cup feeding and orthodontic pacifiers are probably acceptable alternatives.
   3. Food toughness. The jaws probably require stress from tough food to develop correctly. This can contribute to the widening of the dental arch until roughly age 17. Beef jerky, raw vegetables, raw fruit, tough cuts of meat and nuts are all good ways to exercise the jaws.

Dr. Robert Corruccini published several papers documenting narrowed arches in one generation of dietary change, or in genetically similar populations living rural or urban lifestyles (reviewed in reference #5). One was a study of Caucasians in Kentucky, in which a change from a traditional subsistence diet to modern industrial food habits accompanied a marked narrowing of arches and increase in malocclusion in one generation. Another study examined older and younger generations of Pima Native Americans, which again showed a reduction in arch width in one generation. A third compared rural and urban Indians living in the vicinity of Chandigarh, showing marked differences in arch breadth and the prevalence of malocclusion between the two genetically similar populations. Corruccini states:

<<    In Chandigarh, processed food predominates, while in the country coarse millet and locally grown vegetables are staples. Raw sugar cane is widely chewed for enjoyment rurally [interestingly, the rural group had the lowest incidence of tooth decay], and in the country dental care is lacking, being replaced by chewing on acacia boughs which clean the teeth and are considered medicinal.>>

There's a definite association between the consumption of refined carbohydrates and dental cavities.

.... Decalcification is a loss of minerals that is part of the process of tooth decay. Teeth, like bones, are mineralized primarily with calcium and phosphorus, and there is a dynamic equilibrium between minerals leaching out of the teeth and minerals entering them.

In another paper, Dr. T. W. B. Osborn and his group showed that they could greatly curb the decalcification process by adding organic calcium and phosphorus salts to the solution. This again points to a dynamic equilibrium, where minerals are constantly leaving and entering the tooth structure. The amounts of calcium and phosphorus required to inhibit calcification were similar to the amounts found in unrefined cane sugar, wheat and corn. This suggests the straightforward explanation that refined sugar and grains cause decay at least in part because most of the minerals are removed during the refining process.

...wheat and corn flour decalcify teeth in vitro more effectively than cane juice. I suspect that has to do with the phytic acid content of the grains, which binds the minerals and makes them partially unavailable to diffusion into the teeth. Cane juice contains minerals, but no phytic acid, so it may have a higher mineral availability. This explanation may not be able to account for the fact that refined sugar was also less effective at decalcifying teeth than refined wheat and corn flour. Perhaps the residual phytic acid in the refined grains actually drew minerals out of the teeth?

No, I'm not saying you can eat sugar with impunity if it's unrefined. There isn't a lot of research on the effects of refined vs. unrefined sugar, but I suspect too much sugar in any form isn't good. But this does suggest that refined carbohydrates may be particularly effective at promoting cavities, due to a direct demineralizing effect on teeth subsequent to bacterial acid production.

Thus, in dogs, the factors that affect tooth healing are the same factors that affect tooth development:

1. The mineral content of the diet, particularly calcium and phosphorus
   2. The fat-soluble vitamin content of the diet, chiefly vitamin D
   3. The availability of minerals for absorption, determined largely by the diet's phytic acid content (prevents mineral absorption)

Sunday, April 5, 2009
Dental Anecdotes

Here are a few anecdotes gleaned from past comments that describe improvements in oral health due to a change in diet. Please feel free to add your own (positive or negative) experience to the comments. I may add it to the post.

Stan: My teeth stopped decaying and some breakage (broken tooth due to mechanical damage, 5 years ago) begun sealing itself with new enamel on my high animal fat, low carb diet of the last 10 years. I still have all my teeth including wisdom teeth. My teeth no longer develop plaque/scale and thus no need to descale, and I no longer develop cold sores on my gums. I haven't been to a dentist since 1999 (I am 53). [From another comment] I can fully confirm the astounding effect of a diet very high in animal produce and low in plants, on my teeth. My tooth decay has totally stopped! I wrote about that before but it is worth repeating: - my teeth would not decay even if mechanically damaged, broken in half etc. The broken exposed parts of a tooth, even if the core is open, just seals itself over time.

Dave: Our family has had similar experiences. In particular, my daughter had a poorly formed molar (she was a spring baby, before we started Vitamin D, hmmmm). The tooth had quite a large crater in it. I put her on D3 and cod liver oil/butter oil. We finally got a dentist she'd cooperate with enough for X-rays. The result was exactly as described above: a thick layer of dentin had formed. The dentist was thoroughly puzzled, which I enjoyed immensely :-)

Arnoud: For years my dentist has been insisting on more frequent and more aggressive cleaning techniques.... to no avail. Last year I started Vitamin D supplementation, and a more Paleo style of diet, and the 'chronic' inflammation of my gums resolved themselves within days, literally. My dentist claims it is a coincidence. I think not!

Martin: Once I changed my diet to one close to what is listed in this entry, and added a vitamin D3 supplement, my dental health greatly improved. No more cavities, and beyond that, no more rapid build-up of dental plaque. To prevent gum problems, I used to have to get my teeth cleaned four times a year, now, once a year is enough, and it seems to me, even that might not be necessary.

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Stig of the Dump

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 05:11:29 am »
You know, if I had a bigger jaw, I wouldn't need to remove my wisdom tooth. :(
Read this amazing thread:

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/raw-weston-price/fixing-narrow-palates-and-cranial-deformities/

Unless you've already had the extraction, maybe you could look into expanding your jaw with an ALF - especially as you have found the best diet to help the bones heal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk