Author Topic: 2 Questions.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
2 Questions.
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »
1) i: How do animals with natural coats get their Vit.D?

ii: Does anyone have any opinion about Vit.K2? I don't remember where, but I read about it in an article recommending Vit.D supplementation >1 week ago.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2) I had some lamb yesterday from a supermarket butcher(Can't order from the farms I'm looking at 'till Friday), usually I get beef but there was some lower-priced lamb.

I thought it was good that the Ribs, and Neck had a lot of fat, and when I was eating them I felt I could've eaten a lot more than I did, there was no sort of repulsion, but it was 9-9:30pm already by that time and I didn't think I could really need it. This fat tasted quite different to the fat from the supermarket butcher's beef.

As before, when I've had quite a bit of fat, relative to protein I think, I felt sort of achy, e.g. Dull-pain in my back(spinal muscles). I went to bed fine at around 12pm. During the night, I wasn't woken by energy surge from the fat, but after ~6hrs I was feeling sick(head not stomach) like I needed to get rid of something/throw up.. The fat I expect. I didn't.

Comments..? Did I just have way too much fat, was it the time, was it that I wasn't used to the type of fat(it seemed sort of tougher to rip with my teeth but I don't know if that's because it had some skin with it or something since the beef was steak)?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:40:51 am »
No one on this? Particularly the first point... If you can't be bothered to read the second no problem, but I thought the first was at least interesting..?

I've since found that furry animals synthesise Vitamin D in their fur, and absorb it during 'grooming', however I'd still like to know what anyone thinks about this 'Vitamin K2'. I expect to start 'supplementing' with 'fairly large' doses of Vitamin D fairly soon, although would be looking more in to that closer the the time(probably this weekend as that's when I'll order my first batch of direct-from-the-farm animal food).

The K2 seems to be highly present in meats. It's just that in a link someone provided previously to that PaleoNu guy, whilst he discussed the importance of extra-dietary intake of vitamin D, he also mentioned this K2.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:52:11 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:33:11 pm »
The paleonu guy hasn't a clue. Vitamin D for example can be easily gotten from a healthy diet of raw grassfed organ-meats or raw (wildcaught) seafood. processed supplements are a waste of time in the long-term as they compete with other substances and can thereby indirectly cause other nutritional deficiencies.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:04 pm »
Don´t know about the K vitamins but a have seen some research done on the D-vitamin in animals, I think it was through the weston a price website. In short, they make vitamin D from sunlight, obviously, and meat or eggs from pasture fed animals contains a lot of it, especially liver and yolk. Indoor kept animals have very low vitamin D levels in their meat and organs. The levels of vitamin D have drastically gone down in meats since industrial meat production started. I have noticed that for example chickens that are running free outside have dark yellow fat compared to cage chickens white fat. I think that vitamin D makes the fat more yellow, but this is just my own idea. Fishliver is another booster of all the fatsoluble vitamins, if you can get wildcaught, skate liver is high in K.
I would stay away from the supplements, they are too far from it´s natural state to do you any good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk