Author Topic: Are Locusts a Paleo Food to Eat?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Are Locusts a Paleo Food to Eat?
« on: December 22, 2009, 02:28:48 pm »
    Are insects a paleo food?  Are locusts?  How do you trap wild locusts?  How do you farm locusts?  What kind of locusts live near you?  What's your preferred way to slaughter or kill a locust?  How many do you eat for a meal?  Do you need to limit the quantity at first for any reason?  Is the following possibly referring to lucust high meats in your opinion?

Someone may be wondering: "How does one actually eat locusts?" Not only do locusts not require ritual slaughter. However, the Midrash in Shemot Rabba hints that the preferred way to eat locusts was to pickle them:

"Once the locusts came, the Egyptians rejoiced and said 'Let us gather them and fill our barrels with them.'

Anyone here make high meats out of locusts?  What's the tastiest part of a locust to eat both fresh and fermented?  Tell me all the good you know of eating locusts.  Thank you.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

carnivore

Re: Are Locusts a Paleo Food to Eat?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:58:55 pm »
Of course insects are a paleo food, probably more paleo than pastured domesticated animals!
I have already eaten alive locust once, and despite I was disgusted, it tastes pretty good (like pork butchery but crunching). You have to be careful to kill the locust at the first mouthful, otherwise the locust can bite your tongue! Best is to crunch the head first.

Bruno Comby used to eat a lot of insects that he bred. He even wrote a book delicious insects.
Find some cooked recipes (in french) here :  http://www.comby.org/insect/recettfr.htm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:10:23 pm by carnivore »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:47:09 pm »
I doubt locusts were a common palaeo food, except in certain seasons when locusts started gathering in swarms, then there' be a multitude of them dying here and there, ready for consumption. I'd imagine insects like termites would ahve been much easier prey(for example chimpanzees use sticks to get the termites out of their nest).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:30:52 am »
I'd think they'd be very paleo and though I haven't eaten locusts I'd imagine they'd be quite tasty.

The only thing close to a locust that I have eaten is grasshoppers. They taste something like almonds and are very nutritious for you! If you don't like eating them alive though, your best bet is to freeze them.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:08 pm »
They're full of proteins but I heard some of them are poisonous. Grasshoppers are solitary insects, when they swarm, they'll molt first. Either that or I need to watch National Geographic again. If not, why did the victims of locust swarms died of starvation? They could've killed them :O

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk