Author Topic: Rabies?  (Read 8398 times)

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Rabies?
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:22:26 pm »
I've decided to start hunting for the majority of my meat. Mostly small animals like birds and rabbits, and occasionally large game like deer. All of this will be a bow.

My question is, I've heard of rabies transmissions through wild meats, can this happen to me? Please help quell my fears.  :(

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Rabies?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:06:30 am »
Really? No one has any information on rabies? Like what signs to watch out for in case an animal is rabid? If maybe its something I should even be concerned about? I don't want to believe the stuff on regular government health websites, cause they say salmonella is bad, so I thought maybe you guys could give me some pointers or something.  :(

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:17:40 am »
I think a lot of parasites, disorders, and diseases are hyped up but Rabies seems to be fairly harsh. An animal in the prime of it's life eating a healthy diet will succumb to it just like a sickly animal will (albeit more slowly).
I'm not sure what you'd look out for beyond the touted symptoms of rabies (night animals out during the day, foaming of the mouth, added aggressiveness). I guess just watch the animal before killing it. If it is behaving oddly don't take a chance...
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:22:47 am »
i will share my antedote and perhaps we can deduct the answers to your questions!

i was placing a cob of corn on my fence to feed the squirrels when, unbeknownst to me, a squirrel scrambles up the other side of the fence and bits right into my finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hoLY OUCH MY FINGER IS BLEEDING EVERYWHERE OMGOMG!!! it totally hurt he bit to the bone so i called 9-1-1 because it was totally an emergency and the operator laughed and told me to call the dept of health and human services in my town to see what i should do....i was really expecting flight for life but i did as she said
D.H.h.s informed me that squirrels do not have saliva and that that is how rabies is transmitted(perhaps explains the foam)  however if you are interested in eating squirrels, raccoons etc i would moniter their habits or that of the general population of that which you are going to hunt and unfortunately suggest only killing healthy critters, you could probably call you local DHHS or human society to find out more or if their are any outbreaks in the area, if they ask just tell em you lost your cat or whatever and are worred about their health etc...

William

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 05:49:20 am »
i would moniter their habits or that of the general population of that which you are going to hunt and unfortunately suggest only killing healthy critters, you could probably call you local DHHS or human society to find out more or if their are any outbreaks in the area, if they ask just tell em you lost your cat or whatever and are worred about their health etc...

There are two kinds of rabies, the usual where they stagger around, foam  and eventually die - the other is furious rabies where they bite.
I've had personal in-my-face type of acquaintance with the furious type, and since then I will kill every animal I even suspect of having rabies.
I suggest that you do the same, then bag the carcass using disposable gloves and give it to the local wildlife people or health services.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:55:16 am »
i should change that to read "only eating healthy critters"
i still think you should kill them first

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:59 am »
Ah, thank you everyone!

I personally would kill them if I suspected rabies because it would take the suffering away from the animal and whisk them away onto their next life (eh, I have weird beliefs).

Thanks so much for the advice and sorry if my question was odd. Just wanted to know what others thought.   :D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 05:59:49 pm »
Most wild game has its head chopped off before sale so if rabies is transmitted via saliva, it's a non-issue for us rawpalaeos.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »
from the napa county health dept. FAQ
"2. Can I get rabies in any way other than an animal bite?
Non-bite exposures to rabies are very rare. Scratches, abrasions, open wounds, or mucous membranes contaminated with saliva or other potentially infectious material (such as brain tissue) from a rabid animal constitute non-bite exposures. Occasionally reports of non-bite exposure are such that postexposure prophylaxis is given.

Inhalation of aerosolized rabies virus is also a potential non-bite route of exposure, but other than laboratory workers, most people are unlikely to encounter an aerosol of rabies virus.

Other contact, such as petting a rabid animal or contact with the blood, urine or feces (e.g., guano) of a rabid animal, does not constitute an exposure and is not an indication for prophylaxis. "

so basically no spit or spit containing/contaminated organs(tongue) and no brains, but eat healthy animals to be a healthy animal

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 12:56:15 am »
no brains
Brain is a very nutritional organ-meat. Throwing it away would be a big waste.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 06:35:16 am »
Ah, so I guess its not too much to worry about then. I'll just pay attention to the animal before shooting it and try not to get saliva in any wounds I might have. Easy enough.

But I'm definitely not throwing away the brains or other organs. Its one of the reasons why I'm hunting, I can't buy brains.  :P

Thanks guys!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »

what are you planning to hunt?

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 01:25:43 am »
Hmm, rabbits, birds, squirrels, other small game and eventually I plan on moving up to deer.

Offline Ronaldo10

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 04:13:18 pm »
Cats, dogs and cattle account for nearly 90 percent of rabies cases in domestic animals, with horses, mules, sheep, goats and ferrets making up the remaining cases.Among wild animals, the disease is most often reported in skunks and raccoons.Other wild species in this country in which rabies is commonly found include bats, foxes, and rodents.The rabies virus, present in the saliva of an infected animal, is usually spread by a bite or scratch that punctures the victim's skin. Hope this helps.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 04:50:29 pm »
Rosa Canina (Dog Rose) is known for thousands of years to cure rabies.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 07:12:53 pm »
Rosa Canina (Dog Rose) is known for thousands of years to cure rabies.

Cool :)
The ancient Romans used Rosa canina for the bites of rabid dogs, and in the first century CE., Pliny, recorded 32 different disorders that responded well to Rose preparations and the first treatment of rabies: "A Roman woman dreamed she was to send the roots of the rose to her son serving in the Roman army in Spain. Just before the package arrived, the soldier was bitten by a mad dog and contacted rabies, and a tea of the roots cured the disease."
Linnaeus (1707–1778), named this plant Rosa canina in 1753.

Maybe to do it raw you can grate it and soak in spring water.  I might try it with honey, sometime after I come across dogrose.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:04 pm »
Sounds damn scary...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk