Author Topic: No more organic alfalfa for grass fed cows? help stop monsanto  (Read 7520 times)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
No more organic alfalfa for grass fed cows? help stop monsanto
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:50:33 am »
just got this email forwarded from one of my local grass fed beef suppliers. apparently, the usda is trying to allow monsanto to start growing GMO alfalfa which will effect all alfalfa crops eventually. read below and sign the petition if you care to. thanks

Genetic food giant Monsanto is at it again. Its next target: a new product that could eliminate all organic alfalfa, a key food for raising organic-fed cows and pigs without any genetic engineering. Oceanflynn on Flickr

The USDA is well on its way to approving Monsanto's genetically modified alfalfa. In its own report, the USDA says that not enough consumers care enough about organic foods for the USDA to block Monsanto's modified alfalfa seeds. [1]  This is absurd since one of the main reasons people buy organic food is to avoid genetically engineered crops.

The USDA is only accepting public comments for the next two weeks. We need you to write to the USDA right now and tell them they must not approve Monsanto's mutant alfalfa. We'll deliver your comments before the deadline. [2]

Click here: http://action.freshthemovie.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1753

Alfafa is one of the major food sources for certified organic animals, not only because of its quality as forage, but because Monsanto's patented genes are already found in 95% of soybeans and 80% of corn. If the USDA lets Monsanto sell its new alfalfa, it will inevitably overtake organic alfalfa crops through the natural pollination process. [3] As a result organic farmers may be feeding their cows genetically modified food.

Just like its corn and soy, Monsanto's alfalfa is designed to tolerate its leading herbicide: Roundup. We can't allow Monsanto's greed to take-over one more crop. The consequences to our choice as consumer, to biological diversity, to the survival of our small and organic farmers depends are too dire.

Monsanto's domination of our food must stop. For the USDA to shrug it off like nobody cares is to add insult to injury. We only have two weeks to submit our comments.The fight for FRESH food will continue, and with your help we'll make it clear that people care about the food they eat.

Let's show the USDA and Monsanto that people want food free from Monsanto's modifications. Write your comments to the USDA now and say no to genetically modified alfalfa.

The fight for FRESH food will continue, and with your help we'll make it clear that people care about the food they eat.

Thanks for all you do.

ana Sofia joanes
FRESH the Movie

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: No more organic alfalfa for grass fed cows? help stop monsanto
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:55 pm »
monsanto is so  >D -v :'( :'( evil....
www.healthfreedomusa.com is a good resource as well
:(

alphagruis

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:54:54 am »
What Monsanto as well as other crazy genetic tinkers do is definitely based on junk science.

Fortunately it is likely that their "genetically modified plants" won't be capable to survive in the wild in future when the present system will collapse.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:50:30 am »
good point, but in the mean time... it's probably better to just stop them now don't you think?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:28:59 am »
its always a good time to be opposed to evil
live righteously now
try as least you can to depend on or support the failing system

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:18 am »
they are extremely satanic
i honestly cannot put into words how horrible they are but to say that it is for evil like this the sun and 10000000000000 other stars shine in the universe, to balance the dark with the light

"Monsanto is in the process of acquiring and patenting their newest technology, known as "Terminator Technology." This technology is currently the greatest threat to humanity. If it is used by Monsanto on a large-scale basis, it will inevitably lead to famine and starvation on a worldwide basis.

Billions of people on the planet are supported by farmers who save seeds from the crops and replant these seeds the following year. Seeds are planted. The crop is harvested. And the seeds from the harvest are replanted the following year. Most farmers cannot afford to buy new seeds every year, so collecting and replanting seeds is a crucial part of the agricultural cycle. This is the way food has been grown successfully for thousands of years.

With Monsanto's terminator technology, they will sell seeds to farmers to plant crops. But these seeds have been genetically-engineered so that when the crops are harvested, all new seeds from these crops are sterile (e.g., dead, unusable). This forces farmers to pay Monsanto every year for new seeds if they want to grow their crops.

In less rich countries, hundreds of millions of people rely heavily on small farms which produce foods for the region. If these farms begin to use Monsanto's terminator technology, and cannot afford to buy new genetically engineered seeds from Monsanto the following year, many of the people in the region may starve. Under normal circumstances, food could be brought in from other regions. However, many of those other regions will likely have the same problems with famine due to Monsanto's terminator technology.

"It's terribly dangerous," says Hope Shand, "half the world's farmers are poor and can't afford to buy seed every growing season, yet poor farmers grow 15 to 20% of the world's food and they directly feed at least 1.4 billion people - 100 million in Latin America, 300 million in Africa, and 1 billion in Asia. These farmers depend upon saved seed and their own breeding skills in adapting other varieties for use on their (often marginal) lands."

What is even more frightening is that traits from genetically-engineered crops can get passed on to other crops. Once the terminator seeds are released into a region, the trait of seed sterility could be passed to
Monsanto is in the process of acquiring and patenting their newest technology, known as "Terminator Technology." This technology is currently the greatest threat to humanity. If it is used by Monsanto on a large-scale basis, it will inevitably lead to famine and starvation on a worldwide basis.

Billions of people on the planet are supported by farmers who save seeds from the crops and replant these seeds the following year. Seeds are planted. The crop is harvested. And the seeds from the harvest are replanted the following year. Most farmers cannot afford to buy new seeds every year, so collecting and replanting seeds is a crucial part of the agricultural cycle. This is the way food has been grown successfully for thousands of years.

With Monsanto's terminator technology, they will sell seeds to farmers to plant crops. But these seeds have been genetically-engineered so that when the crops are harvested, all new seeds from these crops are sterile (e.g., dead, unusable). This forces farmers to pay Monsanto every year for new seeds if they want to grow their crops.

In less rich countries, hundreds of millions of people rely heavily on small farms which produce foods for the region. If these farms begin to use Monsanto's terminator technology, and cannot afford to buy new genetically engineered seeds from Monsanto the following year, many of the people in the region may starve. Under normal circumstances, food could be brought in from other regions. However, many of those other regions will likely have the same problems with famine due to Monsanto's terminator technology.

"It's terribly dangerous," says Hope Shand, "half the world's farmers are poor and can't afford to buy seed every growing season, yet poor farmers grow 15 to 20% of the world's food and they directly feed at least 1.4 billion people - 100 million in Latin America, 300 million in Africa, and 1 billion in Asia. These farmers depend upon saved seed and their own breeding skills in adapting other varieties for use on their (often marginal) lands."

What is even more frightening is that traits from genetically-engineered crops can get passed on to other crops. Once the terminator seeds are released into a region, the trait of seed sterility could be passed to
Monsanto is in the process of acquiring and patenting their newest technology, known as "Terminator Technology." This technology is currently the greatest threat to humanity. If it is used by Monsanto on a large-scale basis, it will inevitably lead to famine and starvation on a worldwide basis.

What is even more frightening is that traits from genetically-engineered crops can get passed on to other crops. Once the terminator seeds are released into a region, the trait of seed sterility could be passed to making most or all of the seeds in the region sterile.

Camila Montecinos, an agronomist with the Chilean organization, CET, has another concern, "We've talked to a number of crop geneticists who have studied the patent," she says. "They're telling us that it's likely that pollen from crops carrying the Terminator trait will infect the fields of farmers who either reject or can't afford the technology. Their crop won't be affected that season but when farmers reach into their bins to sow seed the following season they could discover - too late - that some of their seed is sterile. This could lead to very high yield losses. If the technology is transmitted through recessive genes, we could see several years of irregular harvests and a general - even dramatic - decline in food security for the poorest farm communities."

Because of the worldwide condemnation of terminator seeds, Monsanto appears to be verbally distancing itself from its own technology that it is in the process of acquiring. Even without the threat of this technology Monsanto is contributing significant to the destruction of health and environment around the world. But if this technology is released by Monsanto, it could spell disaster for hundreds of millions of people around the world. How anyone could invest in such a company is difficult to imagine!"

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »
What shocked me on one occasion was reading about an American farmer who got sued by Monsanto simply because his fields were next to the Monsanto-owned fields so that his grains were contaminated by Monsanto's genetically-modified variety - they blamed him for something they were responsible for.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:44:11 pm »
they are extremely satanic
i honestly cannot put into words how horrible they are but to say that it is for evil like this the sun and 10000000000000 other stars shine in the universe, to balance the dark with the light

"Monsanto is in the process of acquiring and patenting their newest technology, known as "Terminator Technology." This technology is currently the greatest threat to humanity. If it is used by Monsanto on a large-scale basis, it will inevitably lead to famine and starvation on a worldwide basis.

You also have to realise, they started with pesticides, gmo's are simply the icing on the cake, they already make billions by brainwashing 3rd world countries & modern farmers, into destroying their soil & land, with their industrial waste

It's already kind of too late for crop seeds, as millions of third world farmers, are basically dying financially, from pesticide resistance & gmo crops, because of their tropical climates

It's laughable to try & disseminate artificial pesticides & artificial gmo crops, in tropical countries, as the local wildlife & fauna, decimates them in weeks

All theyre doing is exploiting the undereducated & farmers stupid enough to buy into western capitalism, which is always lead with advertising & marketing, in the form of scientific facts & fake medical knowledge

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:20:42 am »
What shocked me on one occasion was reading about an American farmer who got sued by Monsanto simply because his fields were next to the Monsanto-owned fields so that his grains were contaminated by Monsanto's genetically-modified variety - they blamed him for something they were responsible for.

Wait, I thought you were totally pro-corporation, economically conservative, etc.....surely you don't think a corporation exercising its intellectual property rights could be bad.  ;) Right?

alphagruis

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »
good point, but in the mean time... it's probably better to just stop them now don't you think?

I agree heartidly, of course. We must do everything we can to stop them, but the outcome of this struggle is IMO highly uncertain as most people on this planet are unable or unwilling to think critically by themselves. It is unfortunetely not easy to find out what is junk science. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:20:43 pm »
Wait, I thought you were totally pro-corporation, economically conservative, etc.....surely you don't think a corporation exercising its intellectual property rights could be bad.  ;) Right?
  I have a variety of views across the political spectrum. For example, re capitalist views, i'm all in favour of most people becoming self-employed and love and support small businesses but absolutely hate the large corporations.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »
  I have a variety of views across the political spectrum. For example, re capitalist views, i'm all in favour of most people becoming self-employed and love and support small businesses but absolutely hate the large corporations.

What if a small business that you love will grow into a large corporation? Would you still have the same feelings?

Maybe small businesses are generally not evil just because they cant or cant afford to be.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:34:36 pm »
What if a small business that you love will grow into a large corporation? Would you still have the same feelings?

Maybe small businesses are generally not evil just because they cant or cant afford to be.
I'm always wary of small businesses becoming bigger as they then focus less on the individual customer and more on the customer-base in general, thus leading to the lowest common denominator and low quality food etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »
I dont understand why they can't just leave nature freakin alone. We want organic let us have organic!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:15:13 pm »
I signed this as many others should!  There really needs to be a more potitions against these corporations!! Here on the Raw Paleo webpage we need a activism section aswell so we can fight for Raw Paleo issues and maintain this type of life for generations to come!   ;D
"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk