Author Topic: The Inuit diet - detoxing or not?  (Read 17110 times)

Offline Kokki

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
The Inuit diet - detoxing or not?
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:51:24 pm »
Aajonus has developed his diet especially for cleansing. He claims that food like veg juices, butter and honey, are the optimal foods for that purpose. For example, what makes the butter so special, if we compare it to seal blubber? Nutrients or X-factor? Better absorption?

I`m not saying that there´s nothing "wrong" in his ideology. What`s your opinion:

Are those foods more valuable for detoxing, cleansing and healing than foods used by traditional Inuit? Should I be diamond-eye healthy that I can digest whale blubber, or seal meat?

Maybe some day I´ll try the Inuit diet..  ;)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: The Inuit diet - detoxing or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:57:07 pm »
Well, I would suggest moving to the Arctic where there's more opportunity re getting hold of raw whale blubber etc. But seriously, you should be fine with a rawpalaeodiet of grassfed meats, fruit etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Kokki

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:00:57 pm »
Well, I would suggest moving to the Arctic where there's more opportunity re getting hold of raw whale blubber etc.

That´s my goal.  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »
Aajonus has developed his diet especially for cleansing. He claims that food like veg juices, butter and honey, are the optimal foods for that purpose. For example, what makes the butter so special, if we compare it to seal blubber? Nutrients or X-factor? Better absorption?...
I guess it depends on what he says "cleansing" is. If we know what he means by cleansing then we could try to figure out which foods would promote his idea of cleansing and how/why.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:10:25 am »
Aajonus has developed his diet especially for cleansing. He claims that food like veg juices, butter and honey, are the optimal foods for that purpose. For example, what makes the butter so special, if we compare it to seal blubber? Nutrients or X-factor? Better absorption?

I`m not saying that there´s nothing "wrong" in his ideology. What`s your opinion:

Are those foods more valuable for detoxing, cleansing and healing than foods used by traditional Inuit? Should I be diamond-eye healthy that I can digest whale blubber, or seal meat?

Maybe some day I´ll try the Inuit diet..  ;)

lol theres no such thing as xfactor, its simply grass fed butter beef etc.,

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:14:45 am »
lol

I'm not sure I understand your response.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:00 am »
I'm not sure I understand your response.

I really dont see the point in isolating something like vitamin k or activator x, its a result of grass fed substances, its the fact theyre reared naturally is important, trying to attribute it to vitamin k or activator x, or some other fictional vitamin, is ludicrous

Ultimately its the environment responsible for the creation of vitamin k, ie the grass, why dont we market the grass responsible for creating the vitamin k & call it vitamin J, & market that to cows & farmers ...

lol the supplement industry is insane ....

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:03 am »
I really dont see the point in isolating something like vitamin k or activator x, its a result of grass fed substances, its the fact theyre reared naturally is important, trying to attribute it to vitamin k or activator x, or some other fictional vitamin, is ludicrous

Ultimately its the environment responsible for the creation of vitamin k, ie the grass, why dont we market the grass responsible for creating the vitamin k & call it vitamin J, & market that to cows & farmers ...

lol the supplement industry is insane ....

I don't have the time for hours of daily sunbathing, nor do I live in a place where that's even an option during the winter.  I think I'm better off taking my softgel than I would be using a tanning bed.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:16:26 am »
I don't have the time for hours of daily sunbathing, nor do I live in a place where that's even an option during the winter.  I think I'm better off taking my softgel than I would be using a tanning bed.

You can get all your vitamin d from raw foods ... the vitamin d from supplements is nowhere near as effective as raw food

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 10:57:57 am »
You can get all your vitamin d from raw foods ... the vitamin d from supplements is nowhere near as effective as raw food

I tried that. It didn't work.  I used to eat tons of shrimp, but that didn't get the job done. Besides, I'm allergic to shrimp now.  I average about 3000-5000 IU daily of D-3.  I don't know of many foods that have that much Vitamin D-3.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:23:24 pm »
I tried that. It didn't work.  I used to eat tons of shrimp, but that didn't get the job done. Besides, I'm allergic to shrimp now.  I average about 3000-5000 IU daily of D-3.  I don't know of many foods that have that much Vitamin D-3.

Eat a herring a day for 5000 IU

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »

Theres also the origin of the vitamin d in the softgels you're consuming, & its bio availability, wouldnt touch those things with a pole ... bleh

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:48 pm »
What is your source for that? Nutritiondata claims just 460 IUs (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4065/2).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 07:49:56 pm »
What is your source for that? Nutritiondata claims just 460 IUs (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4065/2).

Looks like I am overeating the herring if 1oz is the normal serving size :). You were looking Vitamin D content of 1oz serving size. Change it to 1 fillet 184g. 1 Fillet has 3000IU make it a whole herring you get 6000IU add liver and you might get a lot more I think. Let me know if I was wrong.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:37 pm »

Is there anyone here who eats one herring a day?

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:36 pm »
Is there anyone here who eats one herring a day?

I have been eating herring fillets. Is it bad to eat herring a day ?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 10:35:54 am »
I'm not sure I can get fresh herring.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:20:43 am »
I'm not sure I can get fresh herring.

I tried at the WF fish counter by me yesterday.  They didn't have it.  Maybe I'll try the fish area a farmer's market.  I don't think there are any fish mongers around here (you can tell I don't live on the water).  I know a place to get salted herrings (certainly not an Inuit type food) around here, but I did try one and it had kind of a rotten taste that I suppose people who eat mostly cooked fish can't taste.  Herring must come from Europe and in the US you'd probably have to be in NY to get it somewhat fresh.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 11:40:57 am »
Looks like I am overeating the herring if 1oz is the normal serving size :). You were looking Vitamin D content of 1oz serving size. Change it to 1 fillet 184g. 1 Fillet has 3000IU make it a whole herring you get 6000IU add liver and you might get a lot more I think. Let me know if I was wrong.
Ah, thanks for checking that. 1 oz is a bizarre default serving size. LOL Because of your catching that I checked other nutrition sites around the Web with figures on fish and discovered that most of them use puny sizes for servings of fish. No wonder the numbers are so low--they don't know me very well!  :D

Maybe this helps explain how the traditional Inuit were able to avoid D3 deficiency. I figure that diet must at least partly account for it, given they survived through months of no sun every year and they didn't limit their intake of fish to puny rations like moderners strangely do. Are there any other foods really high in D3 like herring?

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 02:31:37 pm »
Maybe this helps explain how the traditional Inuit were able to avoid D3 deficiency. I figure that diet must at least partly account for it, given they survived through months of no sun every year and they didn't limit their intake of fish to puny rations like moderners strangely do.

Science has started to catch up on Vitamin D and they have found out that Vitamin D3 might be a "miracle drug" (in their words). I wonder if Vitamin D3 is a huge contributor to Inuits good health as they are "overdosing" the D3 on fish :P

Are there any other foods really high in D3 like herring?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-000102000000000000000.html Here is a list. I think you can't find anything so high in Vitamin D3 other than fish.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-000102000000000000000.html Here is a list. I think you can't find anything so high in Vitamin D3 other than fish.

The foods I see listed on the whole long first page are fish, soymilk, soy formula and Kellogg's brand cereal.  I suppose the latter three are D2 in supplement form.  Funny they put it into grain mostly it would seem.  Must be to offset the osteoporosis that grain causes.  I remember eating almost all of my protein in the form of rice or peas at age 19 or 20, and definitely feeling (and seeing one) my bones weakening too much at that age too.  The rice and peas were natural (no Vit D added). 

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 07:28:24 am »
Now you know why the royalty fed the peasants rice and peas and potatoes and reserved hunting and fishing for themselves.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »
Now you know why the royalty fed the peasants rice and peas and potatoes and reserved hunting and fishing for themselves.

To weaken the poor people's bones and kill them.  Why the h*ll would they do that?!  They're supposed to love their loyal subjects.  Do they rather subject them than give strength supportive love?  *sigh*

You're right, even now, the presidents hunt, the kings hunt.

With the Inuit, I believe everyone pretty much hunts.  No one gets rice.  

Rice bothers my teeth, if and when I eat.  I mean the last 5 yrs of vegan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk