Author Topic: Salamanders anyone?  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Salamanders anyone?
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:54 am »
I was outside foraging through the woods when I lifted up a log and found dozens of salamanders. I quickly grabbed them up and put them in a jar and thought that I could maybe eat them.

When I got home I rinsed the soil off of them and popped one in my mouth. It was surprisingly good. It was smooth, a bit tangy and tasted nothing like anything before! I recommend putting pepper on the little things.  ;D

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Salamanders anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:17:11 am »
I'd do a bit more research before popping one in my mouth. Many amphibians have defensive toxins of varying strength in their skin.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:29:26 am »
Well I had researched the animals in my area before I drew my conclusions. Its the red ones here that are poisonous.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07:30 am »
OK then. I just didn't want you to hurt yourself on a whim. They look so innocuous but looks can be deceiving. :)

It would personally take me being in a very starved state to eat a salamander. I grew up catching all sorts of amphibians and reptiles so have that closeness with them as pets. I think I actually prefer them to mammals.  -[
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 09:57:08 am »
Did you also check to see if it's endangered?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 10:00:33 am »

meh, we dont believe in endangered species, we believe in natural selection & survival of the fittest ...

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:27 am »
If it's similar to the salamander shown it's most likely a crevice salamander, also known as a Yonahlossee Salamander (See the third photo on this link). The Wiki stub shows it as "Least Concern" status. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:45:19 am »
Yeah, its a crevice salamander.  :P

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:56:40 am »
eww haha were they frozen/hybernating as lizards do when its cold?  or do you live somewhere warm?  was its wiggling when you ate it? how big are they?

William

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:23:51 pm »
Robert O. Becker M.D., a bone man, while at a V.A. hospital in northern New York state, used salamanders while trying to discover how come they can grow a new leg or tail, while we can't. It turned out that the difference is that they have relatively huge diameter nerves compared to brain size, while we have wee skinny nerves in comparison - so the electrical field generate by the ends of the cut nerves is too weak (and, he wrote, switches to the wrong polarity).
He invented the electrical field-generating widget that is used to this day to make bones heal better and quicker in hospitals, and actually got human amputations to regrow an inch of bone before his grant was cancelled.

His book was called "The Body Electric".

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:03:52 pm »
Robert O. Becker M.D., a bone man, while at a V.A. hospital in northern New York state, used salamanders while trying to discover how come they can grow a new leg or tail, while we can't. It turned out that the difference is that they have relatively huge diameter nerves compared to brain size, while we have wee skinny nerves in comparison - so the electrical field generate by the ends of the cut nerves is too weak (and, he wrote, switches to the wrong polarity).
He invented the electrical field-generating widget that is used to this day to make bones heal better and quicker in hospitals, and actually got human amputations to regrow an inch of bone before his grant was cancelled.

His book was called "The Body Electric".

Nothing to do with nerve cells, it's relatively easy to grow back fingers etc. as long as you catch the injury in time

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »
meh, we dont believe in endangered species, we believe in natural selection & survival of the fittest ...
Who is "we"?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk