Author Topic: Salad with Lamb's Lettuce and Avocado  (Read 18419 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Salad with Lamb's Lettuce and Avocado
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:31:30 pm »
http://www.melaniecooks.com/salad-with-mache-lettuce-lambs-lettuce-and-avocado/527/

We are so fortunate to have Alphagruis as a contributor to our forum (he's been on RPD for 11 years).  He said something about corn salad.  This link has pictures about how to prepare Lamb's Lettuce and avocado... seems it is marketed that these two go well together.

I haven't tried this yet.

Ingredients For The Salad:

Mache (Lamb’s) Lettuce
Avocado
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil

How To Make A Salad

Whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make a dressing (3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar).  In a bowl, toss the mache lettuce with the dressing.  Put the lettuce on a plate.

Peel and pit the avocado.  Thinly slice the avocado.  Put the avocado slices on top of the lettuce.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Salad with Lamb's Lettuce and Avocado
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:59 am »
I once lived for several months on nothing but 8-10 avocadoes daily plus lots of wild greens. LoL

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:53:02 am »
I once lived for several months on nothing but 8-10 avocadoes daily plus lots of wild greens. LoL

That sounds so vegan.  How was it for you?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:15 am »
That sounds so vegan.  How was it for you?

I didn't have a lot of energy.  Also, it kind of turned my teeth a little green, from the wild greens.  Other than that, not too bad.  I only did it for about 2-3 months. 

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Call me LDIE for short =)
    • View Profile
    • Healing from severe suicidal eczema
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:46 pm »

Haha C_kid, I admire your courageous self experimentations. Were you following the teachings of Dr. Robert Young "The pH Miracle" at the time?

I also experimented on lots of avocado, nuts and raw green veggies before my high-fruit LFRV stint. I had terrible sweet cravings and would chew-spit bananas - I felt guilty for eating them...oh my, how screwed in the head I was at the time. I also had extreme fatigue at the time. Was an unpleasant experience.
Wishing everyone the best in health and happiness! much love to all!

My severe suicidal eczema healing blog: http://eczemabye.weebly.com/

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:38 am »
I never felt better than the one summer I was able to forage for most of my food - but I didn't eat just Lamb's Quarters (as they were called where I lived). I ate a variety of different wild greens. Avocados have been a staple food for me forever. Never seem to get tired of them although I have had to go without them for long periods because of unavailability.

If I had lamb's quarters now I would be eating that salad all the time! I don't whisk the oil and vinegar - I just drizzle and toss and the avocados are easier to eat if cut into smaller hunks.

But most of the time if I would come across lamb's quarters out in the wild it would be all gone by the time I got it home because imho lamb's quarters is one of the tastiest wild greens I've ever come across.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 11:22:15 am »
Haha C_kid, I admire your courageous self experimentations. Were you following the teachings of Dr. Robert Young "The pH Miracle" at the time?

I also experimented on lots of avocado, nuts and raw green veggies before my high-fruit LFRV stint. I had terrible sweet cravings and would chew-spit bananas - I felt guilty for eating them...oh my, how screwed in the head I was at the time. I also had extreme fatigue at the time. Was an unpleasant experience.

I was just experimenting, I hadn't read that book you mentioned.

I also went through the exact same extreme swing from high-fat raw vegan to very low-fat raw vegan. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:07 am »
dorothy
mache/lambs lettuce and lambs quarter are two different things, lambs quarter is also called goosefoot or pigs weed and is a more salty green, its in the amaranth family, mache is in the valerian family

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:53 am »
Thank you so very much for clearing that up for me Jessica!

Lamb's quarters is indeed salty. I had some growing near salt water in a rich clay that was like a sacred experience once. :D

Lamb's lettuce is supposed to grow here and yet I have not seen what I thought it was ONCE. Now I know why!

Eating something in the valerian family (if it has any of the sleepy effects of valerian) during the day could be dangerous. ;)

I will have to research this more and find good pictures. The natives here ate a great a deal of lamb's lettuce I understand. I'd very much like to really know what it looks like.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
heh my pleasure dorothy.  i am finally living in an area where chickweed grows abundantly, and have been harvesting plenty of it as the other greens seem to be petering out for the season.  i also FINALLY found one individual miners lettuce growing under a palate that has a bunch of agricultural calcium from crushed up sea shells.  both of these plants are harder to find further south in colorado as it is more arid.  its so nice to meet plants that i have only been introduced to through books and know who they are:)

gs that salad looks delicious, very similar to the salads i make myself when i am lucky enough to have avocado,i go with egg yolk in place of oil:)  i was invited to work in an avocado orchard in mexico in december....i cant even imagine how delicious fresh avocados are, although they seem to be something i either really want or dont have any taste for, and its rare i want one

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
...i cant even imagine how delicious fresh avocados are, although they seem to be something i either really want or dont have any taste for, and its rare i want one

Tree-ripened avos fresh off the tree are pretty amazing.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 08:09:29 am »
I had an couple of avos many years ago on a plane coming back from Mexico where I still treasure that memory! The ones I get are wonderful - but that was some sort of magic.

If only I could have paired those avocados with that salty lamb's quarter I might have died from bliss. :D

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:09 am »
avocados with nasturtiums leaves is really delicious, you can make a little sushi like wrap with them

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 08:25:14 am »
Oh - I love nasturtium! It's like adding pepper.

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »
What's with all these vegetable / herb names that I've never heard of... :o

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
I was just experimenting, I hadn't read that book you mentioned.

I also went through the exact same extreme swing from high-fat raw vegan to very low-fat raw vegan.

You experimented with high-fat raw vegan yourself?! How did you manage to get that idea yourself? haha. I would never try a diet without seeing a "Dr." or "Licensed physician" endorse it. Now I know better..of course that qualifications don't mean anything.

I think it's all good once someone (open-minded) starts experimenting with diets. They all pretty much end up with raw paleo  :P

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
You experimented with high-fat raw vegan yourself?! How did you manage to get that idea yourself? haha. I would never try a diet without seeing a "Dr." or "Licensed physician" endorse it. Now I know better..of course that qualifications don't mean anything.

I think it's all good once someone (open-minded) starts experimenting with diets. They all pretty much end up with raw paleo  :P

I was pretty in touch with the raw vegan community, I spent a lot of time on the rawfoods.com forums, and also lived in Southern California for several months on a raw vegan commune.  I saw and heard about a lot of different raw vegan diets, so trying the high-fat one wasn't something i was afraid to do. 

I agree that open-minded people all end up at raw paleo, or something very close to it, if they experiment with diet long enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk