Author Topic: Grassfed Beef Heart  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Permasprout

• Forager
    • View Profile
Grassfed Beef Heart
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:26:22 pm »
Today at the Co-op, I bought a beautiful dark red beef heart. I pan fried it to medium rare--as I am currently cooking all my red meats, the next step is rare. OMG it was so delicious! And super filling! Why doesn't everybody eat hearts?

I saw a good suggestion for chicken hearts; skewer them whole and grill as shish
kabobs. Gotta try that.

You can overdose on vitamin A if you have too much liver; can you eat too much heart?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Grassfed Beef Heart
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »
    I don't know, I've never eaten cooked beef/bison/buffalo/goat/lamb/pig heart.  When I was a cooked meat eater (seems like a millenia ago) I ate cooked chicken heart with no problem.  I guess I ate up to half dozen at a time up to 4x/mo.  They didn't seem to close my throat or give me headaches or arthritic attacks.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »
I eat heart all the time. I prefer to slice it up and dry it some but I eat it raw as well.
I can't eat more than ~1/2 a pound in one sitting though or it starts to sit pretty heavy in my stomach. Heart burps are icky. :P
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »
i had my 1st heart (beef) this week, raw, i was surprised too at how good it tasted and easy it was to eat. I had my 1st tongues too (lamb), good stuff. I might try brains today.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »
I also had my first raw beef heart last week. It was very easy to eat, didn't have much of a taste but it was enjoyable overall. I let it sit out for more than a day before I ate half of it and then let the other half sit out the next couple days. It finally grew some off-colored slime on it and I ate a few pieces but was scared to consume the rest so chunked it. I felt fine eating the rotting pieces.

I too also had my first raw beef tongue yesterday. It was suprisingly good and somewhat easy to eat the inside. The outer layer was tough and chewy but edible nonetheless. It was a little difficult getting over the fact that I was eating a tongue. I kept thinking about my tongue.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:47 pm »
I tried pan fried beef heart before and it was pretty bad.  Will not do it again.  Raw beef heart is better but it is my least favorite organ, just like PaleoDonk said not much taste.  Pan fried chicken hearts on the other hand were awesome.

My fav organ is liver(raw), I like the sweet taste it has.  I try not to abuse it because  liver has loads of vit A and crazy amount of copper.  I try to combine different organs together so not to overload on any particular nutrient.

I take a little from liver, kidney, spleen, and tongue (if all are available) with some fat or marrow.  I try to eat organs every other day.  They are the cheapest and the most nutrient dense.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:22 am »
I might try brains today.

Did you try brains?  I've had lamb brains (raw).
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk