Author Topic: Raw Mustard  (Read 8546 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Raw Mustard
« on: July 20, 2008, 06:40:18 am »
It just occurred to me that one can make a raw mustard. Moutarde de Meaux is the only mustard without preservatives and could presumably be made into a raw version. The ingredients of Moutarde de Meaux are:-

Mustard Seed, Vinegar, Salt, Mustard Bran, Spices.

If anyone wants to post their own raw version using raw apple cider vinegar presumably, then that would be useful, IMO.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Mustard
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:24 pm »
Stone ground of course;)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:50:41 am »
Mustard seed plus water! You can use ground mustard seeds or whole seeds - if whole, smash them after they are soaked. Use cold water to make  very hot mustard, warmer water to make  milder mustard. Use enough water just to make a paste. Let it set for 15 minutes before mixing it with anything else. That initial soaking is what sets the heat for your concoction.

The heat fades, so add a little vinegar or lemon juice if you want to keep it in the refrigerator, and that will hold the amount of heat in the mixture. It's the process, not the ingredients, that determine how mustard holds its flavor.

Different brands of commercial prepared mustard have different aromatic spices added, so if you want to imitate a commercial brand, use the corresponding spices.

Also, try collecting the mustard pods before they are mature or before they are dry and see if you like the taste of immature or mature "green" mustard seeds.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:36:56 am »
Thank you eve! I will try that
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline PaleoPatsy

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 07:33:44 pm »
Hmm, I think I have all of those in the pantry right now. Might be time for a little experimenting!

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Raw Mustard Greens
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:53:26 pm »
What about using mustard greens?

I've tried juicing them and they are very hot. Like Chinese mustard.

I'll bet if you put mustard greens in the food processor you'd have something unique. It would be much hotter than mustard seed and it would be obviously green.

Perhaps some vinegar or lemon juice might keep it from going bad if you don't want to use it right away. Though that might make it too watery.

Just mustard greens on their own would spice up any dish or salad!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk