Author Topic: No carbs.  (Read 8620 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
No carbs.
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:29:05 am »
Does anyone else get a horrible bitterness in their mouth when they go without carbs? I don't remember how long it took last time, but this time I have it after 1day with no carbs. It's also come with decreased energy for activity, but a lot of warmth. Last night I felt very good after having a grass-fed beef brisket, I felt the best I had in a while and although had a small desire for fruit/sugar, I didn't have a desire for energy as I'd had plenty of good fat(saturated & unsaturated, off-white and yellow) and so went without fruit(have only been eating one meal day).

Does the body need a certain amount of carbs/sugar in order to use ketones? Is that what the taste is in my mouth, my body expelling ketones because I don't have enough sugar to use them? [Or is it something living in my body which lives off of carbs and it's releasing toxins to get me to eat carbs and keep it alive? However that idea wouldn't account for the energy issues... and was a long-shot and I really doubt this but wanted to put it anyway since I briefly considered it before pretty much dismissing it]. Will the adaptation to no carbs just be that my body will start using amino acids to make sugar? That doesn't sound good.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

William

Re: No carbs.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:38:03 am »
Does anyone else get a horrible bitterness in their mouth when they go without carbs?

Not me. Could be a detox reaction, if so it will pass.

Does the body need a certain amount of carbs/sugar in order to use ketones? Is that what the taste is in my mouth, my body expelling ketones because I don't have enough sugar to use them?

On the contrary, consuming carbs stops the conversion to ketone-burning. It is one or the other.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:41 am »
Just a side question, do not let it detract from the original questions, but: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/0-carb-diet-718202/index23.html Does anyone know who 'Solkanar' is?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:18:15 am »
Does anyone else get a horrible bitterness in their mouth when they go without carbs? I don't remember how long it took last time, but this time I have it after 1day with no carbs. It's also come with decreased energy for activity, but a lot of warmth. Last night I felt very good after having a grass-fed beef brisket, I felt the best I had in a while and although had a small desire for fruit/sugar, I didn't have a desire for energy as I'd had plenty of good fat(saturated & unsaturated, off-white and yellow) and so went without fruit(have only been eating one meal day).

Does the body need a certain amount of carbs/sugar in order to use ketones? Is that what the taste is in my mouth, my body expelling ketones because I don't have enough sugar to use them? [Or is it something living in my body which lives off of carbs and it's releasing toxins to get me to eat carbs and keep it alive? However that idea wouldn't account for the energy issues... and was a long-shot and I really doubt this but wanted to put it anyway since I briefly considered it before pretty much dismissing it]. Will the adaptation to no carbs just be that my body will start using amino acids to make sugar? That doesn't sound good.
I got a nasty taste in my mouth when transitioning which was due to Candida. Do you have a white coating on your tongue as well?
Ketones will cause a sweetness to your saliva. This gets even more pronounced if you drink some water.
We don't need extra carbs to process ketones. I can exercise intensely even on days where all I eat is meat & fat (as opposed to organs) without difficulty.

Just a side question, do not let it detract from the original questions, but: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/0-carb-diet-718202/index23.html Does anyone know who 'Solkanar' is?
I don't know who he is but judging by his responses he's following Zero Carb as detailed by "The Bear".
"The Bear" advocates a couple of things I strongly disagree with, most prominently this fear of bacteria as well as his indifference towards grainfed/grassfed, but it's still a better way to go than eating SAD.
Solkanar would probably fit right in at ZIOH. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:33:19 am »
The bears beef is grass fed and depending on the time of year grain finished.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:38:27 am »
The bears beef is grass fed and depending on the time of year grain finished.
But he preaches that it doesn't matter if it's finished (I should have said finished and not fed in the first place) on grain or grass. I know most of us on this board will take exception to this. I personally do as well. That's all I'm saying. :)
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:23 am »
I don't know about the Candida. Thing is, if I search candida on google images it shows extreme instances. However, my tongue is not pure red and does have a certain whiteness to it in parts. If candida is caused by carbs, and almost everyone eats carbs, then low levels of candida wouldn't be recognised as anything unusual. Can you do more to help me deduce if that's what I have on my tongue? I guess it might be possible for me to show a photo, or maybe you could show me a photo of what a tongue without candida looks like?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »
I didn't have a nasty bitterness in my mouth when trying raw zc. I did eventually get a huge loss of appetite for all animal foods, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:21:34 pm »
Miles, this is roughly how my tongue looked when it was bad (using a googled image). After starting up carnivore it was similar but half as much of the gunk on my tongue. This on the other hand is a healthy tongue without Thrush (oral Candida). :)

Everyone has the Candida yeast in their intestines. It's primary role is a catalyst in the breakdown of the body upon death. The problem is when we do things which decimate the good bacteria keeping it in check (antibiotics are the big culprit). Then the Candida can spread and proliferate. We see this in abnormal places such as Thrush (oral Candidiasis) and genital yeast infections (not the only cause of course).
FWIW I personally feel a much larger percentage of the population has an overgrowth of Candida than is normally recognized.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:58:50 am by djr_81 »
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Furion

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:25:08 pm »

Yeah.. in that thread his posts got deleted because he was copy pasting Bears posts to explain the science behind it.

You know Bear? The veteran who developed a following after posting on the lowcarb forum that he had been eating only cooked meat for 40 years.

Solkanar follows a zero carb diet very similar to how most on www.zerocarbage.com forum eat. He is a part of those who believe that seared/bleu rare meat is more beneficial to raw because it eliminates surface bacteria.  

His other dietary beliefs an:d habits
He is against raw milk because of the belief we lack the digestive enzyme lactase.
He does not eat or believe in the health benefits of vegation.. like Bear.
Fatty red meat is the #1 food
Carbohydrates by means of insulin are the SINGLE cause of heart disease.
Eggs need to be cooked because of the anti-vitamin in the white. Whites suck and the yolks are king.
All dairy should be pasteurised because of TB or brucelosis
Rapid heating and flash cooling of milk is worth far more than any percieved loss.
Internal temperature of meat should never pass 104 degrees fahrenheit.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:32:02 pm by Furion »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk