Author Topic: Zero Carb  (Read 4522 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Zero Carb
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »
If you eat one meal a day: A while(several hours, maybe 3/4) after that meal do you find yourself needing to drink a lot and excreting a lot of fluids? Do you know what this is?

The above also coincides with a drop in energy/heat etc for me... I don't know if it's just removing one or the other/both between ketones/amino acids though. Anyway. How does your body get energy and protein outside of this post-meal period? I've heard a little about collagen being used as the protein equivalent of adipose, but I've been able to find little on the subject and I don't know how readily/efficiently this process would be used if at all. As for energy, does the body readily and efficiently use triglycerides from adipose tissue? Someone, I think quoting from 'the bear', said that dietary fat will not be stored, and will just be used from when you eat it. If so, eating only one meal a day I don't see how one would have energy outside of the post-meal period(up to 6hrs?). Unless he was just saying that it won't accumulate excessively and rather will only be stored after depletion?

Recovery. Again, with regards to the use of adipose/possibly collagen, I don't know if this would be an efficient process and whether it could only occur during sleep/rest or something. This person quoting from 'the bear' said that muscle-glycogen is not used on zero-carb. If so, when a feeling of being physically drained is in effect, I don't understand how the body actually recovers, aside from simply repairing the muscle which would not be the issue here. Is it possible that after a while on zero-carb the muscles learn to store energy in some other equally good form as muscle-glycogen, or maybe even convert fat efficiently in to glycogen? Or does the body simply become efficient at breaking down/re-storing triglycerides in adipose, maintaining the appropriate ketone(and whatever else?) level in the blood and remove the need for muscle-glycogen? This same person said that as long as one consumed enough fat one wouldn't need to convert amino acids in to glucose. Just bringing that up as I wondered if this is what the body may have to resort to in the absence of carbs(amino acid -> glucose). This same person said that they rarely ate liver due to the carbs, but they ate '18-24 eggs'(I think only the yolks though) per day. The source I found said 0.6g carbs per yolk, but of course size can vary.

This person(yes I mention him a lot in this topic, just a guy poting on Sherdog called Solkanar who claimed to eat only rare beef & eggs[don't know if cooked/raw but I think just yolks] for 4years) however, seemed to be trying to be trying to convince people that you would be healthy eating this way even living a sedentary life. Saying he only worked out twice a week for 30mins at a time, sat on his backside the rest of the time, dietary fat can't be stored etc.. Considering this was an MMA forum it seems rather an odd angle to go for. He did however say that he'd previously been active in the military within the first few years of being on this diet and that he completed vigorous hikes but I don't know what this says.

Responses appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:38:56 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Zero Carb
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:43:32 am »
If you eat one meal a day: A while(several hours, maybe 3/4) after that meal do you find yourself needing to drink a lot and excreting a lot of fluids? Do you know what this is?
I don't now but I may have in the beginning, can't recall. Seems like your body is trying to flush something out or dilute it.

Someone, I think quoting from 'the bear', said that dietary fat will not be stored, and will just be used from when you eat it.
He's wrong. If you eat more calories than your expend you'll store it. The body takes a while (years) before it begins to do this noticeably (mainly since it's so inefficient at it without practice) but it does occur. I've personally witnessed it, Lex has, I believe a number of others here on the forum have as well.

You should read the entire "Bear" thread though. It's a good read if you're serious about "ZC". Just be aware that he's wrong in a number of assumptions/convictions. Take it all with a grain of salt. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:16 am »
The Inuit reportedly drink a LOT of water, as do wolves, so this doesn't surprise me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:12:49 am »
You will always have some glycogen.  The only time glycogen is fully depleted is right after exhaustion of the muscle or liver.  Even if you don't eat after depleting it, your protein will be broken down to replenish glycogen stores, maybe not to maximum capacity, but you will have some replenished. 

If you find yourself cold after going low carb, you're just not eating enough.  After you realize how much meat humans are suppose to really eat is when low carb will work for you.  Believe me, I eat a minimum of 3lbs. a meat a day.  Better have a grip of cash for food.  Grass fed ain't cheap pal.  Don't try filling up on fruits and veggies because they are not going to heat your body up. 

Listen to your body, not the people on here, not even me.  If you're thirsty, drink.  Evolution didn't create thirst for nothing.  Listen to it. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:13:05 pm »
Just so you have another example, should you choose to go by it, I eat less than half that and do fine.  Once again, listen to what works, if you can actually hear it day in and day out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk