Author Topic: Pets who eat RAF  (Read 17672 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Pets who eat RAF
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 06:50:23 am »
I have an idea...does he eat any grasses, try giving him dry catnip (my male eats it every other day as his 'salad'), or get some cat grass, in the summer my cats are grazing on the grass...if your cats old maybe he is not grazing enough, if he wount eat the catnip or grass try making him a treat of ground meat mixed with ground up grasses. Make sure you don't give him poisonous ones though lol, I'm sure I didn't have to tell you that  :P

Some cats may need a little vegetation depending on what meat they are eating, if they drink water enough or their age.

Also not sure but a little fish oil may get him to poop too?

-------

I find out of all domestic animals cats are the closest to their wild ansetors, that why I love cats, they are close with their human friends and have personalities yet semi-wild. Sometimes they forget to be wild if they are in an apartment, but they quickly learn it when put outside.

I am traveling, and did not bring cat grass with me.  We are staying in a penthouse, and it's cold and a strange environment for them here, plus a big city. We normally let them out at least once per day, but not now here.  

This one loves being outdoors, and gets so at home outside, rather stay out for hours, and has enough fat to tough cold weather to a large extent.  I was also thinking some kind of indoor cat gym may help, to get them more active more often while indoors.  This one likes to sleep.  We have no catnip here either.  Doesn't use it a whole lot at home, but at least it's always there.

I think eating liver may help, but this one doesn't like liver.  I'll get grass as soon as possible.  I have some CLO.  Maybe I'll see if that works.  I think vitamin E constipates.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 07:01:57 am »
  ....We are staying in a penthouse, and it's cold and a strange environment for them here, plus a big city...

Maybe all the stress of environment change constipated him? Cats hate change and moving, especially as they get older.
Maybe if you get some live things for him to play with he may cheer up...
For example put a small aquarium fish in a bowl of water he can play with it, find a moth and let it in the house so he can stalk it or hunt it, put a live mealworm on your floor he should find that fun.

In the summer one of my cat loves catching and eating the big moths that come in the house. We keep windows open and some light on so the moths naturally all go in, and its her delicacy, she crunches them with so much gusto! And of course they love killing mice and torturing them before they die lol...but they don't eat them because they are spoiled, they have an easy life, if I starved them they will eat the mouse, but they meow my ears off before I let them starve  l)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 07:16:12 am »
Maybe if you get some live things for him to play with he may cheer up...
For example put a small aquarium fish in a bowl of water he can play with it, find a moth and let it in the house so he can stalk it or hunt it, put a live mealworm on your floor he should find that fun.

In the summer one of my cat loves catching and eating the big moths that come in the house. We keep windows open and some light on so the moths naturally all go in, and its her delicacy, she crunches them with so much gusto! And of course they love killing mice

We brought our raw paleo meat eating pet Russian hamsters too.  Funny, I just read online that many of the other hamsters can eat meat, but not the Russian, yet mine thrive on it and knew exactly how to kll fast first time they saw a bug.  We use a much smaller cage for them when travelling.  So, I put one at a time in the exercise ball a lot, and they roll themselves all around the apartment with precision!

I was telling my son yesterday that the cats seeing the above may feel how we would if there were a tree with delicious fruit on it in the apartment, but we could not touch the fruit.

I should get meal worms, crickets or best yet you are probably exactly right, a goldfish.  Oh well.  I haven't seen moths around here.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 07:57:07 am »
I should get meal worms, crickets or best yet you are probably exactly right, a goldfish.  Oh well.  I haven't seen moths around here.
The conditions commercial goldfish are raised in are awful. You really don't want to be feeding them to something you love. I fed a gouple when we first began with our current group of turtles but after doing more research I stopped and don't recommend them as a food source.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:09 am »
goldfish are raised in are awful.. don't recommend them as a food source.

Understandable. Thanks.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 08:15:49 am »
I wouldn't use goldfish either, there is plenty of safe little ones, like Danios, a good exotic aquarium shop should have a selection, there are also the little feeder fish etc, forgot all their names...a tiny fish is not really food for a cat its more for the game, to relieve any stress or boredom.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 08:38:34 am »
I wouldn't use goldfish

Yeah, I knew and know you didn't say goldfish.  I just felt like naming some kind of fish.  I'm not sure where to get exotics.  I'll start looking when I get back.  I'm not living near a shore, I wonder how much difference that may make.

I think my son may be upset if the cat totally ignores the fish, and I don't want to raise a fish.  Maybe he can eat it, dipped in unheated honey, and that will solve that!  (should the problem arise)

My hamsters dislike eating fish, except for salmon, so far.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »
I dont have a pet, but my neighbour has a Danish Hound who are my buddy. thankfully neighbour is hippy so the idea of feeding a predator animal raw meat seems pretty sane to her. So I give him bones and whatever I couldnt chew and the odd "good piece" but he also eats dog chow or whatever its called. There is no doubt he loves the raw meat. An overjoyous Great hound is a sight to behold.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 08:10:51 am »
My sister-in-law just got a Maltese puppy for my niece and nephew. It's got to be 6oz and ~5 inches to it's shoulders. It's so adorable. ;D
I think we might pick a puppy up in the spring. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 11:29:00 am »
appreciate your attention to detail in optimizing the healthy body composition of your pet cats..  Now i know where to tell my pet snakes to go hunting for their next meal.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »
appreciate your attention to detail in optimizing the healthy body composition of your pet cats..  Now i know where to tell my pet snakes to go hunting for their next meal.

aaaah.....Hide your puppies and kittens people or Alan is going to sick his snakes on em  :o

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:24 am »
Just got a couple of goldfish. I looked at the ingredients on the fish food container. Looks like the ingredients on supermarket foods for humans.

I dried my turkey liver at Thanksgiving and chopped it up real small. The fish go crazy for it. They also like my naturally fermented veggies which surprised me because they don't like fresh greens. They also like my raw milk cheese and raw beef. We have a lot in common. You go back in the evolutionary history and we were once aquatic. An early stage human fetus has gills and a tail.
Naturally, Don

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Puky cat gets better with kefir?! Re: Pets who eat RAF
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 03:58:09 am »
My female cat has always vomited easily after her meals...never every meal, but regularly every few meals she'd always puke right after, then ask for more food lol. She has been like that since kitten and is older cat now and healthy so I always wondered why, at first I tried every different cat food, still sometimes puking, then I put her on raw meat diet, still sometimes puking....the last few days I started adding a few drops of Kefir over her raw meats...ta da, no puking so far!
I heard the puky cats can be common if you have this issue and it persists with raw meat try the Kefir (just a few drop over the meat sprinkled). She also loves the taste of it.

I think she has an abnormally small stomach and sometimes a regular size meal can't stay down even if thats how much food she wants, something about the kefir is helping her eat the normal size meal and digest it, yay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk