Author Topic: Juicing Nettle  (Read 5413 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Juicing Nettle
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »

Has anyone tried nettle juice before? Any positive effects?

I found some nettle on the market recently and they said it from the forest, which is probably true because it has hard, dark green leafs and it's very small compared to how I know the nettle looks like. I also noticed that not much juice comes out of it and it makes a lot of foam.

My juices now contain nettle, parsley, cucumber, cabbage and I don't drink more than one cup (~300ml) a day. I'll keep if I notice positive effects but I'm not sure what to look for right now.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Juicing Nettle
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:09 am »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:29:39 am »
hmm, so it's also good for the lungs. Nice.

I just read in the primaldiet group that Aajonus recommends limiting the medicinal herbs juices because of their potency.

Now I'll probably not be able to get even a full cup of nettle juice unless I buy a huge bag of them and juice for 3 days in a row. It would be interesting to see what happens if I try that though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:12 am »
Nettles grow all over the place here at the edge of woods and forests and clearings, including at my parents' summer cottage, and I always wanted to try nettle tea or salad after my mother told me about it, but didn't want to deal with the stinging and didn't know how to make it properly and didn't want to put the time into it if it turned out to taste bad, so when I saw some dried nettle leaves for making tea for sale by a local herb farm I decided to try it and found it to taste disgusting. Some of the worst tasting stuff I've ever tried.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:13:37 am »

For me cilantro juice tastes horrible and the most weird tasting herb I tried was wormwood tea.

Nettle juice is not that bad in my opinion.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:17:33 am »
Thanks for the warning about cilantro and wormwood. ;) I'm not a big fan of the taste of most nonfruit plant foods, so it's probably not surprising I wouldn't like nettles, though I don't mind spring greens and a little kelp.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:51:19 am »
I normally love cilantro and it is good for me according to Ayurveda but when you juice a lot of it it is too strong. Just a hint of it is good.

I suspect that a hint of a variety of appropriate herbs would be a good idea. Your taste buds are the bodies way of telling you something. If it is too strong or unpalatable then stay away.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk