Author Topic: Sully's Journal  (Read 138675 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Sully's Journal
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:43 am »

Neat coincidence--that's the same way I make my raw jerky. It even looks like the same dehydrator racks. I find that raw jerky tastes better than even low-heated jerky.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2012, 12:21:16 pm »
Oh yeah, it's amazing. i dehydrate mine at about 104 degrees F, sometimes 95

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
Try it with no heat at all if you can--just turn the meat on the rack once the top side is dry and leave it as exposed to air as possible--preferably separating out the racks individually or at least not putting the top cover on. I find it tastes even better than jerky heated at 95 degrees and you save on electricity too.  :)
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2012, 10:52:24 am »
that's what i do with liver :D ... only my dehydrator goes as low as 85 degrees so i leave like that for a few hours and then cut into tiny pieces and sprinkle that on my meat for flavor. my body really loves liver, but my mind doesn't yet, so the dehydrator really works for me.

sully, that raw meat salad looks really good!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2012, 01:37:34 pm »
@paleophil
So just using air? Like a fan? Or just exposed air? mine only goes as low as 95 degrees F.

@ioanna
Ahh nice, I actually like fresh liver more than dried. You should keep trying different livers. I get good grass fed liver form the farmers markets, from tehse guys
http://fer-ligrassfedbeef.com/ut

I rarley get tasty liver in the stores from these guys.
http://www.wisconsingrassfed.coop/
Also try bison liver, etc. Some livers are more atsty than others. Like what I said above.

If its good dried, more power to you though! :)

Oh and thanks, the raw meat salad was delicious! :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2012, 05:31:20 am »
@paleophil
So just using air? Like a fan? Or just exposed air?
The latter. Unless it's really hot and humid where I am, I just air it out in the kitchen (and if someone comes round I put the trays on top of each other to avoid freaking people out, but leave the top off to allow some air in). I try to slice it rather thin to assist with this, but most days even that hasn't been necessary except to shorten drying time. I was surprised at how easy it is. It demonstrated to me once again that the old adage often comes in handy: "question everything" (within reason and where there's a possible benefit to justify spending some thought on questioning something).

Bear in mind that you do have to physically turn the meat (unless you can hang it from something), even on the hole-filled racks, or else the bottom of the meat will probably get overly moist, likely not dry and quite possibly mold.

mine only goes as low as 95 degrees F.
Same here, I don't use the heat any more.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:37:14 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2012, 08:19:46 am »
Ahh nice, some good ideas. I too have sliced thin to speed up times. Aged, or air dry does bring some flavor to the meat.

I know another cool way I learned from a guy on here a while back. If you don't have a dehydrator and want to make some jerky. You can use a ceiling fan, and hang the meat on a hanger or string right under it.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2012, 10:04:54 am »
oo i spied some tart cherries today, not quite ripe yet though.  do you have mullberries where you live sully?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2012, 04:47:27 am »
oo i spied some tart cherries today, not quite ripe yet though.  do you have mullberries where you live sully?
Yeah we do have mulberries here. They come right after cherries. Missouri gooseberries are soon too ripen also. Along with chokecherries. Then black raspberries come here... There's just too much to eat really! Each season a different fruit, and some fruits are ripe at the same time.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2012, 04:48:51 am »
I also noticed on different sides of town, things ripen at different speeds. like things near the lake (Michigan), and things further inland.

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2012, 01:52:26 am »
Hi Sully,

I read your interesting -but too short- blog with the nice photos of your salads while I was just eating mine with tasty cilantro, aspargus and raw shellfish, oysters and tuna :)

Did you already post somewhere about some detailed observations of the low carb experiences ?

Would like to know more about the correlation between the amount of carbs and your workouts and others aspects.
Also with how much percentage of carbs you feel the best approximately (training, skin, hair and co) if you can say.

Thank you !

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:33 am »
Hey Launa, I don't think I have posted that detailed things about my diet besides here and the blog.
For me, my workouts and overall health/skin etc. are best with a very simple and lower carb. I think everyone in different though.

The fruits I do the best with are the closest to wild. Wild berries I pick in season give me no problems at all. But even domesticated blueberries etc. Don't give me any problems too. As long as I get the smaller blueberries that taste kind of sour. Where as the bigger blueberries that taste very sugary just don't taste right. But things like domesticated mango, bananas, dates (and other high sugar fruits) I can only eat in small quantities and do well.

As far as meat and energy. Grass fed/wild red meats give me better training results than high quality chicken or fish.
Nuts I do ok with, but only in very small amounts. Fresh coconut and avocado I do pretty well with (even though avocado is not a nut).

Also, sequence eating definitely affects my energy too. Say if I have some salad and some steak. If I eat the salad first, the meat after. All is good, in my stools and digestion. But if I eat the salad right after the steak, I notice some problems in digestion. So eating in sequence definitely is important for my health as well.
Eating the quicker digesting foods first when eating vegetables/fruits and meats close together. (note: the raw meat salad is not something to do too often from my experience, but it is good for someone who is just starting to eat raw meat)

But as far as how much carbs. It all depends on where the carbs come from. If I eat wild raspberries, I have a strong stop signal. Not so much with bananas.
So I eat the more natural foods, whether its meat or carbs. Cause they have those stronger stop signals.

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2012, 12:51:57 am »
Some raw shellfish, wild fruits and nuts later...
Thank you Sully !

I have another question, how could you describe the difference in energy you have after fish, chicken and red meat ? (digestion, strenght...) ?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »
I have another question, how could you describe the difference in energy you have after fish, chicken and red meat ? (digestion, strenght...) ?
Didn't notice you asked a question so long ago hah.

Well, it depends when you compare grass fed beef to wild game. Also if you compare Sardines to Salmon. I don't know exactly whats healthier. I can only assume based off experience, taste, etc. That wild game is most satisfying.

Raw fresh albacore tuna is my favorite raw fish. I dehydrated it, and oils came spewing out the flesh, more oils than salmon. That's prob why I like it, but it might coincide with health. But I do feel more satisfied and at ease with red meat, especially wild.Grass fed bison, venison. I like beef and lamb, its what i get mostly. But, wild deer and bison, is far better in flavor an probably health for me.

My meats of choice by instinct are, grass fed red meats, high quality, wild game preferably. Most likely beef. I get tired of pork and chicken very very quickly. Never get tired of red meat. This is the rawpaleo forum, but chicken and pork only taste good to me if its well done crispy haha. Which is why I choose beef, the most I will want to do is cook it rare. I don;t know if its mental about it feeling more safe. Or if its instinct. Or if because pork is so fatty and bland at times. That a good cooking is needed lol

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »
Raw fresh albacore tuna is my favorite raw fish.

I love albacore tuna raw. It's the fattiest of the fishes (more than even King Salmon). I wish I had a local source.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2013, 05:00:41 am »
I love albacore tuna raw. It's the fattiest of the fishes (more than even King Salmon). I wish I had a local source.
Yes indeed, it oozes oil when i dehydrated it before. So flavorful when fresh and local.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2013, 06:14:21 am »
The latter. Unless it's really hot and humid where I am, I just air it out in the kitchen (and if someone comes round I put the trays on top of each other to avoid freaking people out, but leave the top off to allow some air in). I try to slice it rather thin to assist with this, but most days even that hasn't been necessary except to shorten drying time. I was surprised at how easy it is. It demonstrated to me once again that the old adage often comes in handy: "question everything" (within reason and where there's a possible benefit to justify spending some thought on questioning something).

Bear in mind that you do have to physically turn the meat (unless you can hang it from something), even on the hole-filled racks, or else the bottom of the meat will probably get overly moist, likely not dry and quite possibly mold.
Same here, I don't use the heat any more.
I tried putting the drying racks in the fridge and air-drying it there during warm weather and it worked even better. Didn't have to turn the meat at all. I had been concerned that the fridge might be too moist, but it was the opposite--dryer and thus the meat dries more quickly and with no turning.

Offline Louna

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2013, 10:48:04 pm »
Hey. Thanks for your reply Sully, just saw it now ;)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:24 am »
Caught a Salmon with my bare hands. I tried getting one with nets and throwing stones. Then I gave up and just relaxed by the river one day with a friend. The Salmon swims right up on shore.... I hurry and snatch him! Then I just finished him off with a large stone, of course so he's not flapping everywhere.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:58:18 am by Sully »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2013, 02:58:49 am »
Hmm, it is quite clear that there are a lot of people on here who are way more "rawpalaeo" than I could ever be.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2013, 03:01:12 am »
Blood, sweat, tears....aaaaannnd salmon semen haha. Was squirting out everywhere, like how the females do with their eggs. Glad I was able to catch him, I did cook him though. With apple wood chips and charcoal on the grill.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2013, 03:08:03 am »
Hmm, it is quite clear that there are a lot of people on here who are way more "rawpalaeo" than I could ever be.
I guess just "paleo". Cause I did smoke/grill him. I got him out of the Milwaukee River. A little different than the Alaskan Salmon. So tried him cooked first. I do believe he was chinook salmon.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2013, 06:39:03 am »
That's a great salmon! looks like 30+ pounds easily! Such a paleo catch... bare hands. Why did you cook it? Raw salmon is probably my favorite raw food.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2013, 11:13:38 am »
You cooked the entire salmon?

Didn't you at least eat part of the salmon raw so you could relay to us how the wild salmon tasted?

I've always been wondering...
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2013, 01:57:25 pm »
Amazing...!!!! Beautiful pictures. <3

I bet it would have been tastier raw though... ;) Especially with some fresh lemon juice and sea salt...mmm.. Salmon is something I never cook, way more delicious uncooked. Wild salmon taste close to farmed, but better..lol A little less fatty for sure. I have had wild salmon fresh and raw many times. Yum!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk