Author Topic: Journal American Medical Association: AntiOxidant Pills Do Kill  (Read 3354 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Journal American Medical Association: AntiOxidant Pills Do Kill
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:02:09 pm »
    I'm putting this in "hot topics"; because some members take antioxidants and likely will continue to.  I do not take any, I don't know if I'm right.  I have tested allergic to antioxidants, feel healthier without them (I do mean excellent quality ones), and I know other people including various types of natural health professionals who do not sell anything consumable, yet also have problems with antioxidants, even to their surprise at the discovery.  So often people tell me "you gotta take antioxidants".  Lay people and not do this.  Then I see the below:

JAMA. 2007;297:842-857.

Context  Antioxidant supplements are used for prevention of several diseases.

Objective  To assess the effect of antioxidant supplements on mortality in randomized primary and secondary prevention trials.

Data Sources and Trial Selection  We searched electronic databases and bibliographies published by October 2005. All randomized trials involving adults comparing beta carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E, and selenium either singly or combined vs placebo or vs no intervention were included in our analysis. Randomization, blinding, and follow-up were considered markers of bias in the included trials. The effect of antioxidant supplements on all-cause mortality was analyzed with random-effects meta-analyses and reported as relative risk (RR) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs). Meta-regression was used to assess the effect of covariates across the trials.

Data Extraction  We included 68 randomized trials with 232 606 participants (385 publications).

Data Synthesis  When all low- and high-bias risk trials of antioxidant supplements were pooled together there was no significant effect on mortality (RR, 1.02; 95% CI, 0.98-1.06). Multivariate meta-regression analyses showed that low-bias risk trials (RR, 1.16; 95% CI, 1.05-1.29) and selenium (RR, 0.998; 95% CI, 0.997-0.9995) were significantly associated with mortality. In 47 low-bias trials with 180 938 participants, the antioxidant supplements significantly increased mortality (RR, 1.05; 95% CI, 1.02-1.08). In low-bias risk trials, after exclusion of selenium trials, beta carotene (RR, 1.07; 95% CI, 1.02-1.11), vitamin A (RR, 1.16; 95% CI, 1.10-1.24), and vitamin E (RR, 1.04; 95% CI, 1.01-1.07), singly or combined, significantly increased mortality.

Personally, I do not think vitamin supplements are paleo.  I understand people taking them, when they need it for their health.  I consider myself a raw foodist (not excluding the four food groups theough (meat, milk, veg, fruit).  I haven't decided to definitely eat (raw) paleo diet.

I know it doesn't matter.  JAMA isn't paleo either, so it doesn't need to be any kind of ideal of ours to listen to them.  How do you do with antioxidants?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

Re: Journal American Medical Association: AntiOxidant Pills Do Kill
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:55:41 pm »
I've tried antioxidants, never noticed any good effect, so I don't use them.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:50 am »
What are examples of anti-oxidant supplements?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:10 am »
    Beta carotene, ascorbic acid and  alpha tocopherol, you know, waste from other industries quite often.  Centrum.  I'm not sure what they used in the study.  I would never =\ use a drugstore brand.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:37:58 pm »
    Beta carotene, ascorbic acid and  alpha tocopherol, you know, waste from other industries quite often.  Centrum.  I'm not sure what they used in the study.  I would never =\ use a drugstore brand.

I do not take any of these anti-oxidants.  And I don't give my children any of those either.  I know we can source what we need in real foods.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk