Author Topic: Fat Trimmings  (Read 3200 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fat Trimmings
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:17 am »
I have some fat trimmings from a butcher. It's trimmings from fatty muscle-cuts like brisket. I got it on Tues 2nd March. He got it out of some sort of bin and he asked if it was 'for the birds' so I said yes. It has small bits of meat on it from where it was cut off. How would this kind of fat last? Is it bad if it goes off and would I know if it did?

I seem to remember that it tasted much nicer on the first day I got it, and not so nice now, but then I had been rather low on fat before I got it. It doesn't have any visible growth on it though, nor smell noticeably bad. I had some suet before, I don't think it was from the kidneys because it was fine cold, not powdery and it was nice and creamy. That had some contrasting growth on it after a while(black, green or something quite different to its' off-white colour).

I've been keeping the trimmings refrigerated and in a bag. I heard that anaerobic bacteria can't eat fat, but then there are small amounts of meat left on parts of the fat and I don't know if this could be a problem. Are any aerobic bacteria acid-resistant or can cause indigestion/are bad?

Thanks for any responses. I just don't want to get any problems which could've been avoided. I'm not just asking if it's life-threateningly dangerous, but I've had problems from eating off-meat(However, I don't know if it was fully exposed to fresh, open air if it'd be different, as I've heard that some finer commercial meat is even aged slightly) and I'm past that by getting fresh-meat every day, I just don't want to get more of these problems by possibly eating off-fat.

Thanks.

5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Fat Trimmings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:53:29 am »
I like that brisket fat.
If I'm eating it in a few days I just leave it in the refrigerator.
Longer than a week I keep it in between the ref and the freezer.
Longer than that I put it in the freezer.

I keep it exposed to the air because it ages better for me.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:26:47 pm »
Fat trimmings which I'm gonna eat for a couple of days I keep at the room temperature, completely exposed to the air. In this manner the trimmings get crunchy  :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »
If you keep meat or fat in glass jars they keep for quite a long time. Better still, hold your breath for 10+ seconds and breath into the jar before closing it. Aajonus recommends this in one of his books, it works very well for me.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:09 pm »
Yeah do the breathing thing in an air tight jar and the fat will keep for a long time with out any mold.

I've noticed the same thing with suet.. A couple of days in, black spots start appearing.. But nothing if I put it in an air tight jar.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk