Author Topic: Article comparing cooked animal fat-consumption to use of crack cocaine  (Read 2442 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Here's the article(it just talks about the harm of "fat" in general, though it's clear that the problem is mainly  that the fat is cooked:-
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28/fatty.foods.brain/index.html?hpt=C2
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:41:53 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
The title of the article says that "fatty" foods cause addiction, but the article makes it quite clear that the problem is not fat by itself, but processed junk foods full of salt/sugar/MSG, in addition to fat.

quote:
"In the study, published in the journal Nature Neuroscience, Kenny and his co-author studied three groups of lab rats for 40 days. One of the groups was fed regular rat food. A second was fed bacon, sausage, cheesecake, frosting, and other fattening, high-calorie foods--but only for one hour each day. The third group was allowed to pig out on the unhealthy foods for up to 23 hours a day."

If the rats were given pure unseasoned animal fat, I'm sure the results would have been very different, even if the fat was cooked. By the way, "regular rat food" probably contains some kind of cooked fat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Considering my own past addictions, pre-rawpalaeodiet, to cooked fats, even from less unhealthy sources such as cooked wild game, I have serious doubts re the claim that cooked, relatively unprocessed fats aren't addictive. Besides, the above study made it clear they were primarily focusing on the negative effects of cooked fats, viz their mention of bacon, cheesecake etc. Granted,  some other foods may have been highly processed, and undoubtedly higher levels of processing cause  worse issues, but given mention of standard cooked foods such as bacon being addictive, it's clear that any cooking has this effect.

There's more info on this on the waisays.org site and elsewhere on the web, where they show that heterocyclic amines(created in muscle-meats after any cooking) have addictive effects on the brain.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Like always... fast food and fatty foods are the same. What a great way to push an agenda.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
     Hamsters are related to rats.  When I give my hamsters (raw grassfed cultured unsalted) butter, they look like they are so very contented eating it.  I've never seen an animal happier looking or calmer and more aware.  I doubt rats would be much different eating it.

This is just a hamster from the net.  I never gave my present hamsters broccoli.

Actually, rodents normally seem like a person on crack cocaine, or so it seems, they are so nervous.  Poor things need some good fat in their diet.

The article says fatty foods.  That's the problem maybe.  Fats I like eating alone, and the other nonfat food after.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk